The Political Fray - Political Forum
Go Back   Political Fray > The Political Fray > Conspiracy Theories

Conspiracy Theories Conspiracy Theory Forum - Discuss conspiracies and underground dealings


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old December 20th, 2012, 04:18 PM   #41
Senator
 
Protectionist's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2012
From: Florida
Posts: 677

There are reports that Adam Lanza (Sandy Hook shooter) was an avid video gamer, including the bloody "Call of Duty" series. No one has made any connection between the video games and the shooting (as yet), and neither do I, but I would say, that I think it's possible that some of those games could push an unstable young person a bit too far.

I'm very much for free speech, but I'm also for protection of the American people, and you do what you have to do. The free speech part of the first amendment does have exceptions to it for protective purposes (ex. slander, libel, perjury, sedition, fighting words, inciting a riot, yelling fire in a crowded theater, etc). This could, at least, stand some scrutiny.
Protectionist is offline  
Old December 20th, 2012, 05:06 PM   #42
Secretary of State
 
chris7375's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2012
From: Stuart
Posts: 740

Quote:
Originally Posted by Protectionist View Post
There are reports that Adam Lanza (Sandy Hook shooter) was an avid video gamer, including the bloody "Call of Duty" series. No one has made any connection between the video games and the shooting (as yet), and neither do I, but I would say, that I think it's possible that some of those games could push an unstable young person a bit too far.

I'm very much for free speech, but I'm also for protection of the American people, and you do what you have to do. The free speech part of the first amendment does have exceptions to it for protective purposes (ex. slander, libel, perjury, sedition, fighting words, inciting a riot, yelling fire in a crowded theater, etc). This could, at least, stand some scrutiny.
I would have to say you are correct. I am 37 and an avid gamer I like them because they are fun to play. I have two children and I follow the ESRB rating on the games and they can only play within their age limit.

I think to much is put on the media that is out today and not enough on the failures of the parents with their children.
chris7375 is offline  
Old December 20th, 2012, 08:41 PM   #43
Intern
 
blurinoctober's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2012
Posts: 23

People who say these things are using video games as scapegoats, that's all there is to it. Playing a game will not make you go out and shoot people, just like reading Stephen King won't make you a killer (or a murder victim for that matter). It's curious that no one ever blames graphic books for anything, only newer media.

Whichever form, I cannot blame media for someone killing people, I can only blame the person.
blurinoctober is offline  
Old December 22nd, 2012, 01:48 AM   #44
Intern
 
wintermint's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2012
Posts: 4

Video games? As compared to physical games, video games involve little if any physical activity, also can most likely be at individual level i.e, without any team work, also without any live social and physical interaction therefore may contribute to obesity, problems in social interaction and adjustment, problems in physical development, eye strain, selective hearing frequency loss, introvert nature etc.

Your question has potential for a post doctoral thesis research project and can be helpful to the humanity at large. nice!
wintermint is offline  
Old December 24th, 2012, 05:08 AM   #45
Banned
 
Joined: Jan 2012
From: Texas
Posts: 1,975

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schmidt View Post
oh oh you're funny. not really if you're getting the message. no one falls asleep during the lord of the rings and if you're saying the plot line is bad then you are hopeless
I guess i am hopeless, I like horror movies and historic movies.
clax is offline  
Old December 24th, 2012, 05:30 AM   #46
Banned
 
Joined: Jan 2012
From: Texas
Posts: 1,975

I personally think violence in entertainment is a reflection of our violent culture. Really in entertainment the key is giving people what they want. Where i don't find it healthy to play video games that are gory or sadistic, I do care for a teenaged boy, he has other teenaged boys as friends, they all talk about video games or skating. I bought him skates for Christmas.

They play them, I have talked to him about them. He says he really doesn't like them that much, his little man dies so quickly he gets frustrated with them quick. But he likes the bonding time with his peers. So I feel like as long as I talk to him about it and understand his feelings and keep communication lines open. He hasn't mentioned wanting one, he is far more into fashion and clothing than video games I can't imagine him spending any money of his own on more than the most in fashion bluejeans but video games are definitely part of any teenagers life weather you allow them in your home or not.

I feel the technology is best understood as tools and not the reason for existence. I frankly don't like the constant texting. I got him an unlimited phone plan but man it seems like that phone is connected to his thumbs. But he is a teenager alas they do things adults don't like, I think that is a rule.
clax is offline  
Old December 24th, 2012, 09:56 AM   #47
Secretary of State
 
chris7375's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2012
From: Stuart
Posts: 740

Quote:
Originally Posted by clax View Post
I personally think violence in entertainment is a reflection of our violent culture. Really in entertainment the key is giving people what they want. Where i don't find it healthy to play video games that are gory or sadistic, I do care for a teenaged boy, he has other teenaged boys as friends, they all talk about video games or skating. I bought him skates for Christmas.

They play them, I have talked to him about them. He says he really doesn't like them that much, his little man dies so quickly he gets frustrated with them quick. But he likes the bonding time with his peers. So I feel like as long as I talk to him about it and understand his feelings and keep communication lines open. He hasn't mentioned wanting one, he is far more into fashion and clothing than video games I can't imagine him spending any money of his own on more than the most in fashion bluejeans but video games are definitely part of any teenagers life weather you allow them in your home or not.

I feel the technology is best understood as tools and not the reason for existence. I frankly don't like the constant texting. I got him an unlimited phone plan but man it seems like that phone is connected to his thumbs. But he is a teenager alas they do things adults don't like, I think that is a rule.
There are a few games I allow my kids to play as long as I am around. SO me we play together. We have fun doing it we spend time together we laugh as we are playing. I also talk to them they know the games are not real but some of the violence portrayed in them can be real. I tell them that no matter how mad people make them it is not the right response to hurt someone.

On the flip side I also tell them that if someone tries to hurt them that they have every right to defend themselves to protect themselves.

As far as the phone goes it would seem talking and hearing a real voice is overrated. My daughter promptly told me I don the something. I asked her how she said what do you think you do on your forum. Little smart ass got me with that lol.
chris7375 is offline  
Old December 29th, 2012, 06:58 AM   #48
Banned
 
Joined: Jan 2012
From: Texas
Posts: 1,975

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris7375 View Post
There are a few games I allow my kids to play as long as I am around. SO me we play together. We have fun doing it we spend time together we laugh as we are playing. I also talk to them they know the games are not real but some of the violence portrayed in them can be real. I tell them that no matter how mad people make them it is not the right response to hurt someone.

On the flip side I also tell them that if someone tries to hurt them that they have every right to defend themselves to protect themselves.

As far as the phone goes it would seem talking and hearing a real voice is overrated. My daughter promptly told me I don the something. I asked her how she said what do you think you do on your forum. Little smart ass got me with that lol.
When I am with my family I leave the gadget in my pocket, that boy of mine whips it out moves his fingers like lighting and then he is suck. I think I an going to have a no phone time in the near future, like that movie I am number four.
clax is offline  
Old December 29th, 2012, 01:11 PM   #49
Representative
 
ThirdTerm's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2012
From: The motherland
Posts: 191

There are millions of teens who play violent video games on a daily basis and there is no confirmed link between school shootings and video games which are blamed for promoting violent culture and most sane people can tell the difference between entertainment and their real lives and Adam Lanza had many other personal issues leading up to the shooting rampage and he snapped because he was about to be institutionalised.
ThirdTerm is offline  
Old December 30th, 2012, 07:24 AM   #50
Secretary of State
 
chris7375's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2012
From: Stuart
Posts: 740

Quote:
Originally Posted by clax View Post
When I am with my family I leave the gadget in my pocket, that boy of mine whips it out moves his fingers like lighting and then he is suck. I think I an going to have a no phone time in the near future, like that movie I am number four.
When I got hurt I had to get rid of her phone so she now uses mine. So she has limited amount of time to text on it.
chris7375 is offline  
Old January 30th, 2013, 01:54 AM   #51
Intern
 
Joined: Nov 2012
From: Mesquita, RJ, Brazil
Posts: 37

To say that violent video games makes people violent?

Soon I became mayor, I will go around and kill turtles giving hadouken leap with me and brave with a sword somewhere with monsters for XP then!
tdbatista is offline  
Old January 30th, 2013, 07:14 AM   #52
Banned
 
Joined: Jan 2012
From: Texas
Posts: 1,975

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdbatista View Post
To say that violent video games makes people violent?

Soon I became mayor, I will go around and kill turtles giving hadouken leap with me and brave with a sword somewhere with monsters for XP then!
Violent entertainment is the reflection of violent culture
clax is offline  
Old January 30th, 2013, 08:07 PM   #53
Intern
 
Joined: Nov 2012
From: Mesquita, RJ, Brazil
Posts: 37

To me, human beings have always liked the violence in many parts of the world there are ways and even sports (like martial arts) to play it out this natural instinct of man.

I myself always liked fighting games, shooting, and it never made ​​me become violent, and millions of people around the world play and also not become violent ...

There are things that really make people violent, such as childhood trauma, family problems, dangerous ideologies and sects, paranoias and fears, that is what makes an ordinary person to do crazy things.
tdbatista is offline  
Old January 30th, 2013, 08:14 PM   #54
myp
Founding Father
 
myp's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2009
From: us
Posts: 5,841

Good post tdbatista. A lot of it has to do with things like socioeconomic background and upbringings as well as plain and simple mental disorders. I don't buy the ruined culture hypothesis.
myp is offline  
Old January 30th, 2013, 11:39 PM   #55
Banned
 
Joined: Jan 2012
From: Texas
Posts: 1,975

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdbatista View Post
To me, human beings have always liked the violence in many parts of the world there are ways and even sports (like martial arts) to play it out this natural instinct of man.

I myself always liked fighting games, shooting, and it never made ​​me become violent, and millions of people around the world play and also not become violent ...

There are things that really make people violent, such as childhood trauma, family problems, dangerous ideologies and sects, paranoias and fears, that is what makes an ordinary person to do crazy things.
Yes, I agree, that is what I meant by culture.

I played racing games, but I never street raced
clax is offline  
Old January 31st, 2013, 02:01 AM   #56
Secretary of State
 
tecoyah's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2012
From: Louisville, Ky
Posts: 3,477

Violence seems an inherent aspect of human nature...actually all of nature. There seem certain individuals more prone to the fall back position (less mentally evolved), and thus more likely to be effected by outside stimulation which leads to violent acts.
Video Games, Stress, relationships, whatever....who knows what will flip the switch. I very much doubt a video game has more impact than a dickish boss, or a controlling mother.
tecoyah is online now  
Old January 31st, 2013, 05:05 AM   #57
Banned
 
Joined: Jan 2012
From: Texas
Posts: 1,975

Quote:
Originally Posted by tecoyah View Post
Violence seems an inherent aspect of human nature...actually all of nature. There seem certain individuals more prone to the fall back position (less mentally evolved), and thus more likely to be effected by outside stimulation which leads to violent acts.
Video Games, Stress, relationships, whatever....who knows what will flip the switch. I very much doubt a video game has more impact than a dickish boss, or a controlling mother.
I agree completely
clax is offline  
Reply

  Political Fray > The Political Fray > Conspiracy Theories

Tags
games , video , violence



Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
American culture and our relationship with violence. clax Philosophy 5 December 25th, 2012 10:37 PM
Gaza and Israel violence tecoyah Current Events 42 November 25th, 2012 04:37 PM
......Egypt soccer violence kills 74, fans turn on army Comet Current Events 1 February 2nd, 2012 10:58 AM
Violence in Syria leads to Arab states potentially cutting commercial ties myp Current Events 2 November 27th, 2011 10:37 AM


Facebook Twitter RSS Feed



Copyright © 2009-2013 Political Fray. All rights reserved.