The Political Fray - Political Forum
Go Back   Political Fray > The Political Fray > Current Events

Current Events Latest news, current events, and headlines from around the world


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old January 29th, 2010, 08:28 PM   #1
myp
Founding Father
 
myp's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2009
From: us
Posts: 5,841

Study: cell phone bans don't reduce crashes

A recent study has come up with the conclusion that cell phone bans don't reduce crashes. It is certainly an interesting idea in light of the push towards cell phone bans for drivers. The study found that the real issue is with distractions in general and that banning cell phones does not do anything to solve that, even though they are one source of distraction.

link: http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/lo...-82988542.html
myp is offline  
Old January 30th, 2010, 05:33 AM   #2
Congressional Leader
 
DodgeFB's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2009
From: Undisclosed
Posts: 2,751

Quote:
Originally Posted by myp View Post
A recent study has come up with the conclusion that cell phone bans don't reduce crashes. It is certainly an interesting idea in light of the push towards cell phone bans for drivers. The study found that the real issue is with distractions in general and that banning cell phones does not do anything to solve that, even though they are one source of distraction.

link: http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/lo...-82988542.html
Personally don't think using cell phones while driving is a good idea. But are we going to "outlaw" music,eating, children and of course spouses while driving? But I do think reading and putting on makeup (man or woman)should be treated the same as DWI.
DodgeFB is offline  
Old January 30th, 2010, 12:55 PM   #3
Representative
 
Delta's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2009
Posts: 369

"A new study finds that laws banning hand-held cell phone use while driving have not reduced the number of auto accidents in the District or elsewhere."

The problem isn't with holding a cell phone, it's the distraction of talking to someone that isn't in the car with you. If you're talking to someone in the car, they can see when you need to focus, unlike when talking to someone on the phone. I don't have the reference but it was a psych study done at Queens U.
Delta is offline  
Old January 30th, 2010, 01:32 PM   #4
myp
Founding Father
 
myp's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2009
From: us
Posts: 5,841

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delta View Post
The problem isn't with holding a cell phone, it's the distraction of talking to someone that isn't in the car with you. If you're talking to someone in the car, they can see when you need to focus, unlike when talking to someone on the phone. I don't have the reference but it was a psych study done at Queens U.
That is an interesting point, but then the question of whether the phone bans are worth it rises again. For example, if it is the talking that causes the distraction, then should talking to passengers in the car also be banned? Doesn't seem like a very plausible thing to do as it would be virtually impossible to enforce it.

Personally, I am not sure where I fall on this issue just yet, but I do know that I am against any such Federal bans in the United States as per the Constitution. Would much rather leave it to the states, as is the case with these laws right now.
myp is offline  
Old January 31st, 2010, 03:57 AM   #5
Secretary of State
 
deanhills's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2009
Posts: 2,187

I don't know how they could have come up with those findings, as I have seen so many cases of people using their cell phones, and immediately veering out of their lanes, or slowing down, or doing strange things. I agree however also that if cell phones are banned, then it should also be illegal to be eating or drinking, or to occupy your hands with anything else than the steering wheel or driving control systems. I've heard there are even people sending texts on their mobile phones while they are driving!
deanhills is offline  
Old February 1st, 2010, 04:52 PM   #6
Intern
 
JFSC201's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2010
From: Italy
Posts: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by deanhills View Post
I don't know how they could have come up with those findings, as I have seen so many cases of people using their cell phones, and immediately veering out of their lanes, or slowing down, or doing strange things. I agree however also that if cell phones are banned, then it should also be illegal to be eating or drinking, or to occupy your hands with anything else than the steering wheel or driving control systems. I've heard there are even people sending texts on their mobile phones while they are driving!
I agree with this. I'll admit I've never seen someone cause an accident with a cell phone. But, I've been behind someone on one, and they drive slower, they don't drive normally, and they are less likely to use a turn signal. If they can't pay attention to the normalities of driving like these examples, then its just a matter of time. In the U.S. we've had some nasty car crashes that were attributed to cell phone (especially texting) and also we've had some public transport accidents involving trains in places like Boston and Los Angeles that were directly attributed to texting. While talking is surely bad enough, I think texting is definitely bad.
JFSC201 is offline  
Old February 1st, 2010, 09:16 PM   #7
Representative
 
Delta's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2009
Posts: 369

Quote:
Originally Posted by myp View Post
That is an interesting point, but then the question of whether the phone bans are worth it rises again. For example, if it is the talking that causes the distraction, then should talking to passengers in the car also be banned? Doesn't seem like a very plausible thing to do as it would be virtually impossible to enforce it.
Well I guess the difference is passengers can see the situation you are in and can hold the conversation in the case that you need to focus (heavy traffic or what not) whereas people on a phone will keep talking and you'll try to keep up with the conversation. I didn't actually read the whole study so I can't really say what explanations they gave.
Delta is offline  
Old February 2nd, 2010, 08:00 AM   #8
Anarchist
 
Dirk's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2009
From: Disunited Queendom
Posts: 1,944

I have to admit i'm surprised.
Dirk is offline  
Reply

  Political Fray > The Political Fray > Current Events

Tags
bans , cell , crashes , phone , reduce , study



Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Stem cell research. clax Current Events 73 November 6th, 2012 07:53 PM
Global fraud study by Ernst and Young: Corruption still pays (unfortunately) myp Current Events 0 June 17th, 2012 08:01 PM
Plane crashes into IRS building- tax protest? myp Current Events 35 March 4th, 2010 05:04 AM
Man behind ACORN video allegedly tries to tamper with Senator's phone omej Current Events 1 January 27th, 2010 10:40 AM


Facebook Twitter RSS Feed



Copyright © 2009-2013 Political Fray. All rights reserved.