The Political Fray - Political Forum
Go Back   Political Fray > The Political Fray > Current Events

Current Events Latest news, current events, and headlines from around the world


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old January 17th, 2012, 08:12 PM   #1
myp
Founding Father
 
myp's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2009
From: us
Posts: 5,841

Wikipedia blackout to protest SOPA begins

The site is being blacked out for 24 hours to protest SOPA http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Main_Page
myp is offline  
Old January 17th, 2012, 08:32 PM   #2
Congressional Leader
 
DodgeFB's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2009
From: Undisclosed
Posts: 2,751

Quote:
Originally Posted by myp View Post
The site is being blacked out for 24 hours to protest SOPA http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Main_Page
Seems everyone wants to do something in protest of something.
DodgeFB is offline  
Old January 17th, 2012, 08:57 PM   #3
myp
Founding Father
 
myp's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2009
From: us
Posts: 5,841

Quote:
Originally Posted by DodgeFB View Post
Seems everyone wants to do something in protest of something.
Well SOPA is a huge deal, so here I standby them completely.
myp is offline  
Old January 18th, 2012, 05:09 AM   #4
Congressional Leader
 
DodgeFB's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2009
From: Undisclosed
Posts: 2,751

Quote:
Originally Posted by myp View Post
Well SOPA is a huge deal, so here I standby them completely.
But you did not shut down the site to make a point.
DodgeFB is offline  
Old January 18th, 2012, 08:16 AM   #5
myp
Founding Father
 
myp's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2009
From: us
Posts: 5,841

I likely will be sending out a mass mail soon. Most likely with this petition https://www.google.com/landing/takeaction/
myp is offline  
Old January 18th, 2012, 10:28 AM   #6
Congressional Leader
 
DodgeFB's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2009
From: Undisclosed
Posts: 2,751

Quote:
Originally Posted by myp View Post
I likely will be sending out a mass mail soon. Most likely with this petition https://www.google.com/landing/takeaction/
It looks likely the law makers will cave on this one. Few of them can stand any heat. So they need to get out of the kitchen.
DodgeFB is offline  
Old January 20th, 2012, 08:16 AM   #7
Senator
 
Joined: Aug 2011
Posts: 758

I really think the government should get its nose out of the internet.
Patrick is offline  
Old January 21st, 2012, 01:11 AM   #8
Representative
 
Comet's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2011
From: Earth
Posts: 322

It appears the protests had some effect. The vote has been postponed and the bill is now on the back-burner.
Comet is offline  
Old January 21st, 2012, 06:24 AM   #9
Congressional Leader
 
DodgeFB's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2009
From: Undisclosed
Posts: 2,751

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comet View Post
It appears the protests had some effect. The vote has been postponed and the bill is now on the back-burner.
I have not seen this much "protesting" since the 60s. I did not like it then either.
DodgeFB is offline  
Old January 21st, 2012, 02:17 PM   #10
Representative
 
Comet's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2011
From: Earth
Posts: 322

Quote:
Originally Posted by DodgeFB View Post
I have not seen this much "protesting" since the 60s. I did not like it then either.
Peaceful protests are healthy as well as a fundamental foundation and right of this great country of ours.
Comet is offline  
Old January 21st, 2012, 03:05 PM   #11
Congressional Leader
 
DodgeFB's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2009
From: Undisclosed
Posts: 2,751

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comet View Post
Peaceful protests are healthy as well as a fundamental foundation and right of this great country of ours.
True, but so many are over nothing. And then there are the ones that turn into window smashing and thievery.
DodgeFB is offline  
Old January 21st, 2012, 03:15 PM   #12
Representative
 
Comet's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2011
From: Earth
Posts: 322

Quote:
Originally Posted by DodgeFB View Post
True, but so many are over nothing.
What is important is subjective and varies from individual to individual.

What you find important and worthy of a peaceful protest may not be to someone else. Vice versa.

Quote:
And then there are the ones that turn into window smashing and thievery.
I do not condone violent or damaging protests---only peaceful acts of opposition.
Comet is offline  
Reply

  Political Fray > The Political Fray > Current Events

Tags
begins , blackout , protest , sopa , wikipedia



Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Pakistan forces fire into air and tear gas protest crowds myp Current Events 1 January 15th, 2013 01:33 AM
Injuries as Bahrain police 'attack' protest Feb14 Government and Politics 5 December 7th, 2011 03:51 PM
Plane crashes into IRS building- tax protest? myp Current Events 35 March 4th, 2010 04:04 AM
Afghan surge begins myp Current Events 12 February 16th, 2010 08:56 PM


Facebook Twitter RSS Feed



Copyright © 2009-2013 Political Fray. All rights reserved.