The Political Fray - Political Forum
Go Back   Political Fray > The Political Fray > Current Events

Current Events Latest news, current events, and headlines from around the world


Thanks Tree3Thanks
  • 2 Post By Polydectes
  • 1 Post By ThirdTerm
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old March 26th, 2013, 04:51 AM   #1
myp
Founding Father
 
myp's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2009
From: US
Posts: 5,841

SCOTUS takes up gay marriage

As prop 8 of California comes into question: Justices take up gay marriage for the first time | Reuters
myp is offline  
Old March 26th, 2013, 07:45 AM   #2
Senator
 
Joined: Dec 2012
From: United States
Posts: 554

A voter referendum comes into question because someone didn't like the outcome. End of story. The Federal Defense of Marriage Act also up for question, seems constituents and representatives alike can be countermanded by nine individuals dressed in robes.

And with such challenges facing this nation, whether homosexuals can get married is critical. Typical progressive misplaced values and priorities. unneeded insult removed

Last edited by tecoyah; March 26th, 2013 at 09:07 AM.
Stonewall is offline  
Old March 26th, 2013, 09:51 AM   #3
Representative
 
a777pilot's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2012
From: Flower Mound, TX (In the basement.)
Posts: 281

The argument of this case by those that favor gay marriage is "equal protection". That dog won't hunt. If equal protection were to be fully enforced there would be no differences in the laws through out the country. The laws in Texas would be exactly the same as there are in California, the same as they are in Iowa and Mississippi.
a777pilot is offline  
Old March 26th, 2013, 09:51 AM   #4
Representative
 
a777pilot's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2012
From: Flower Mound, TX (In the basement.)
Posts: 281

Quote:
unneeded insult removed
That's no fun.
a777pilot is offline  
Old March 26th, 2013, 10:32 AM   #5
Retired
 
tecoyah's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2012
From: Louisville, Ky
Posts: 3,775

Quote:
Originally Posted by a777pilot View Post
That's no fun.

Agreed....but nothing else has worked. It is a pity to need to resort to such things in an adult forum.
tecoyah is offline  
Old March 26th, 2013, 01:41 PM   #6
Senator
 
Joined: Dec 2012
From: United States
Posts: 554

Unneeded doesn't mean inaccurate, the removal of my correct ascertation doesn't change the fact that it was dead on correct. In any adult world.

Our Represenatives in Congress voted in the DOMA. California voters referendumed prop 8. Why not seek a change there, why go to our court system?
Stonewall is offline  
Old March 26th, 2013, 02:40 PM   #7
Retired
 
tecoyah's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2012
From: Louisville, Ky
Posts: 3,775

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stonewall View Post
Unneeded doesn't mean inaccurate, the removal of my correct ascertation doesn't change the fact that it was dead on correct. In any adult world.

Our Represenatives in Congress voted in the DOMA. California voters referendumed prop 8. Why not seek a change there, why go to our court system?
Had your comment been even remotely similar to the above, rather than an attempt at debasing another member....I would never have felt the need.
tecoyah is offline  
Old March 26th, 2013, 03:37 PM   #8
Governor
 
Polydectes's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2013
From: just past the moons of Jupiter
Posts: 1,172

While I support ssm I do see a problem. With DOMA, and any other federal involvement. The tenth amendment states that marriage is a state issue. however of there is discrimination our state sanctioned withholding of the constitutional rights then the fed must intervene.

Is it right for gay people to marry? That is the only question. I don't understand why so many people care so deeply about two men our two women being legally married, it seems to be folks that already have wives and husbands. It seems a bit busy body ish to me.

The fact that our supreme court has to decide is strange to me. It seems very immature.
Thanks from David and tecoyah
Polydectes is offline  
Old March 26th, 2013, 04:14 PM   #9
Senator
 
Joined: Dec 2012
From: United States
Posts: 554

Quote:
Originally Posted by tecoyah View Post
Had your comment been even remotely similar to the above, rather than an attempt at debasing another member....I would never have felt the need.
Glaring is the absence of the word successful in front of your word 'attempt' there. And I really couldn't care less for what need you felt.

Moving on.
Stonewall is offline  
Old March 26th, 2013, 04:16 PM   #10
myp
Founding Father
 
myp's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2009
From: US
Posts: 5,841

Quote:
Originally Posted by a777pilot View Post
The argument of this case by those that favor gay marriage is "equal protection". That dog won't hunt. If equal protection were to be fully enforced there would be no differences in the laws through out the country. The laws in Texas would be exactly the same as there are in California, the same as they are in Iowa and Mississippi.
What was your opinion on the role of Federal legislation in ending slavery or segregation?
myp is offline  
Old March 27th, 2013, 05:13 PM   #11
Representative
 
ThirdTerm's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2012
From: The motherland
Posts: 201

The DOMA may be unconstitutional and same sex couples should receive federal benefits in the states where same sex marriage has been legalised. And this is consistent with Obama's policy on gay marriage as he thinks that the issue is up to the states to decide as American society evolves on a state-by-state basis.
Thanks from tecoyah
ThirdTerm is offline  
Old March 27th, 2013, 05:30 PM   #12
Retired
 
tecoyah's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2012
From: Louisville, Ky
Posts: 3,775

DOMA is a federally mandated form of discrimination.

Every state must decide for itself where it will stand, without the Fed interfering.

In my opinion.



Over time....the country will unify.
tecoyah is offline  
Old March 28th, 2013, 07:00 AM   #13
Senator
 
Joined: Dec 2012
From: United States
Posts: 554

Quote:
Originally Posted by tecoyah View Post
DOMA is a federally mandated form of discrimination.

Every state must decide for itself where it will stand, without the Fed interfering.

In my opinion.



Over time....the country will unify.
Did you vote for anyone that approved of that federal mandate form of discrimination?
Stonewall is offline  
Old March 28th, 2013, 02:18 PM   #14
Senator
 
Joined: Dec 2012
From: United States
Posts: 554

Quote:
Originally Posted by tecoyah View Post
DOMA is a federally mandated form of discrimination.
So those that voted for it bigots?

Quote:
Every state must decide for itself where it will stand, without the Fed interfering.
But if any state should decide one man one woman.....and that is all the DOMA did..then it must be your opinion that each would be guilty of 'state mandated discrimination.' And if that is your belief....and it seems to be....then the federal government would have no choice but to step in......so your "without the Fed interfering" statement is a complete contradiction on your part.

Quote:
In my opinion.
Your opinion is that a state decision denying same sex marriage would be government mandated discrimination by any state but then don't think that should be a federal issue. I mean....what in the world?

Quote:
Over time....the country will unify.
Let us pray.
Stonewall is offline  
Old March 29th, 2013, 12:33 PM   #15
Senator
 
Joined: Dec 2012
From: United States
Posts: 554

tecoyah, what must I do to get a question answered? Your opinion here states that should a state deny same sex marriage, they are guilty of state "mandated discrimination'......and continue to explain that the federal government should play no roll. The federal government should then....in your opinion....sit idle while the states engage "mandated discrimination?"

The sentence above ends in a question, it's a query. Thanks.
Stonewall is offline  
Old March 29th, 2013, 02:30 PM   #16
Retired
 
tecoyah's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2012
From: Louisville, Ky
Posts: 3,775

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stonewall View Post
tecoyah, what must I do to get a question answered? Your opinion here states that should a state deny same sex marriage, they are guilty of state "mandated discrimination'......and continue to explain that the federal government should play no roll. The federal government should then....in your opinion....sit idle while the states engage "mandated discrimination?"

The sentence above ends in a question, it's a query. Thanks.
I'll pass
tecoyah is offline  
Old March 30th, 2013, 03:55 PM   #17
Senator
 
Joined: Dec 2012
From: United States
Posts: 554

Quote:
Originally Posted by tecoyah View Post
I'll pass
Wise decision.
Stonewall is offline  
Reply

  Political Fray > The Political Fray > Current Events

Tags
gay , marriage , scotus , takes



Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Religious challenge to Obamacare picks up steam as SCOTUS clears way for challenge myp Current Events 11 November 27th, 2012 11:31 AM
SCOTUS stands by insurance mandate, 5-4 myp Current Events 27 July 4th, 2012 12:24 PM
SCOTUS upholds some parts of Arizona law, throws out others myp Current Events 2 June 25th, 2012 11:36 AM
Gay marriage, civil unions and the sanctity of marriage omej Government and Politics 8 June 1st, 2009 12:28 AM
Obama re-takes oath omej Current Events 8 February 16th, 2009 03:24 PM


Facebook Twitter RSS Feed



Copyright © 2009-2013 Political Fray. All rights reserved.