The Political Fray - Political Forum
Go Back   Political Fray > The Political Fray > Current Events

Current Events Latest news, current events, and headlines from around the world


Thanks Tree19Thanks
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old October 8th, 2017, 12:21 PM   #1
Secretary of State
 
tecoyah's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2012
From: Louisville, Ky
Posts: 3,584

Tesla and Puerto Rico.

It looks like Musk has decided to work with Puerto Rico to test the scalability of Teslas power wall and solar capture technology. This is a win-win scenario and should be seriously beneficial for everyone.
https://www.usatoday.com/story/tech/...lar/743129001/

I wish them luck.
Thanks from David and numan
tecoyah is offline  
Old October 24th, 2017, 10:02 AM   #2
Secretary of State
 
tecoyah's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2012
From: Louisville, Ky
Posts: 3,584

This would be awesome if our president and FEMA actually wanted to help.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WVu6JVXVifQ
tecoyah is offline  
Old October 24th, 2017, 12:36 PM   #3
Governor
 
Polydectes's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2013
From: just past the moons of Jupiter
Posts: 1,173

I see how it can deliver water which is kind of cool I don't see how it can deliver electricity.
Polydectes is offline  
Old October 24th, 2017, 01:16 PM   #4
Secretary of State
 
tecoyah's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2012
From: Louisville, Ky
Posts: 3,584

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polydectes View Post
I see how it can deliver water which is kind of cool I don't see how it can deliver electricity.
It comes with solar panels and batteries. The REAL electrical help though, comes from Tesla and the initial link.
tecoyah is offline  
Old October 24th, 2017, 04:05 PM   #5
Governor
 
Polydectes's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2013
From: just past the moons of Jupiter
Posts: 1,173

Quote:
Originally Posted by tecoyah View Post
It comes with solar panels and batteries. The REAL electrical help though, comes from Tesla and the initial link.
A solar panel that size can operate about 12 60 watt light bulbs.

So it sounds like the magic is in the link. What do you mean by Tesla's initial link?
Polydectes is offline  
Old October 24th, 2017, 04:19 PM   #6
Secretary of State
 
tecoyah's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2012
From: Louisville, Ky
Posts: 3,584

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polydectes View Post
A solar panel that size can operate about 12 60 watt light bulbs.

So it sounds like the magic is in the link. What do you mean by Tesla's initial link?
Apparently the initial link went bad....try this one.
https://futurism.com/tesla-is-offici...n-puerto-rico/
tecoyah is offline  
Old October 24th, 2017, 05:34 PM   #7
Governor
 
Polydectes's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2013
From: just past the moons of Jupiter
Posts: 1,173

Quote:
Originally Posted by tecoyah View Post
Apparently the initial link went bad....try this one.
https://futurism.com/tesla-is-offici...n-puerto-rico/
Thank you. It looks like Puerto Rico's making some good choices rebuilding their power grid is a brilliant move.
Polydectes is offline  
Old October 25th, 2017, 10:21 AM   #8
Vice President
 
David's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2009
From: Opa Locka
Posts: 5,573

Quote:
Originally Posted by tecoyah View Post
It looks like Musk has decided to work with Puerto Rico to test the scalability of Teslas power wall and solar capture technology. This is a win-win scenario and should be seriously beneficial for everyone.
https://www.usatoday.com/story/tech/...lar/743129001/

I wish them luck.
This reminds me of that midwestern town that got leveled by a tornado a few years back. Took the need to rebuild to go green. PR using it's need to rebuild the power grid to go solar (and hopefully buried lines) is the logical thing to do.
Thanks from tecoyah
David is offline  
Old October 30th, 2017, 07:07 AM   #9
Representative
 
Fitz's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2017
From: Medway Towns, Kent
Posts: 239

Can anybody point out if the car park system has worked - there seems to be a lot of press confusion about the capacity and supply? There was a lot of initial gush about it but little else reported of any substance apart from the free advertising for Tesla.
The diesel fuel supply is now restored and the diesel generators are back on line therefore what are the solar arrays and battery packs doing? The initial installations and set-up was free of charge but the supply is to be negotiated therfore what are they being charged is it worth it what are the generators doing????
Fitz is offline  
Old October 30th, 2017, 07:19 AM   #10
Secretary of State
 
tecoyah's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2012
From: Louisville, Ky
Posts: 3,584

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitz View Post
Can anybody point out if the car park system has worked - there seems to be a lot of press confusion about the capacity and supply? There was a lot of initial gush about it but little else reported of any substance apart from the free advertising for Tesla.
The diesel fuel supply is now restored and the diesel generators are back on line therefore what are the solar arrays and battery packs doing? The initial installations and set-up was free of charge but the supply is to be negotiated therfore what are they being charged is it worth it what are the generators doing????
I'm not sure what the "Car Park" system is...but:
https://www.usatoday.com/story/tech/...tal/802216001/
tecoyah is offline  
Old October 30th, 2017, 07:22 AM   #11
Representative
 
Fitz's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2017
From: Medway Towns, Kent
Posts: 239

Quote:
Originally Posted by tecoyah View Post
I'm not sure what the "Car Park" system is...but:
the picture in your link was the car park at the hospital...
Fitz is offline  
Old October 30th, 2017, 07:29 AM   #12
Representative
 
Fitz's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2017
From: Medway Towns, Kent
Posts: 239

Just a thought but could it survive another hurricane?
Fitz is offline  
Old October 30th, 2017, 07:59 AM   #13
Secretary of State
 
tecoyah's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2012
From: Louisville, Ky
Posts: 3,584

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitz View Post
Just a thought but could it survive another hurricane?
Not many things survive a big Hurricane.
Thanks from David
tecoyah is offline  
Old October 30th, 2017, 08:39 AM   #14
Governor
 
Polydectes's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2013
From: just past the moons of Jupiter
Posts: 1,173

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitz View Post
Can anybody point out if the car park system has worked - there seems to be a lot of press confusion about the capacity and supply? There was a lot of initial gush about it but little else reported of any substance apart from the free advertising for Tesla.
The diesel fuel supply is now restored and the diesel generators are back on line therefore what are the solar arrays and battery packs doing? The initial installations and set-up was free of charge but the supply is to be negotiated therfore what are they being charged is it worth it what are the generators doing????
I would say any confusion is contrived in order to blur the truth. Solar panels and batteries aren't a reliable source of energy if they were they are dirt cheap and you could power your house with them and not pay the Electrical Company replacing a lid acid battery once every 8 to 10 years and a one-time cost of solar panels even if they are about $4,000 which they're not would be much cheaper then paying for electricity.

Solar energy at least for now is a pipe dream.
Thanks from Fitz
Polydectes is offline  
Old October 30th, 2017, 08:54 AM   #15
Representative
 
Fitz's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2017
From: Medway Towns, Kent
Posts: 239

Quote:
Originally Posted by tecoyah View Post
Not many things survive a big Hurricane.
Not thinking of a big one any one, any hurricane would scatter the array and PR is prone to hurricanes. The issue in Puerto Rico is not generation its distribution is Musk going to install free of charge distrubution lines, nodes etc.?
Fitz is offline  
Old October 30th, 2017, 09:04 AM   #16
Secretary of State
 
tecoyah's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2012
From: Louisville, Ky
Posts: 3,584

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitz View Post
Not thinking of a big one any one, any hurricane would scatter the array and PR is prone to hurricanes. The issue in Puerto Rico is not generation its distribution is Musk going to install free of charge distrubution lines, nodes etc.?
The Government of Puerto Rico is currently negotiating major infrastructure choices, but the freebies were for emergency aid.
tecoyah is offline  
Old October 30th, 2017, 09:18 AM   #17
Representative
 
Fitz's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2017
From: Medway Towns, Kent
Posts: 239

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polydectes View Post
I would say any confusion is contrived in order to blur the truth.
I was just playing with a back of a napking calculation based on the array in the pictures linked... and the various figures quoted in various news outlets seems to suggest 200kW array with 500 kWH of battery storage. based on the blurb from Tesla their Powerwall costs USD6.5K per 10KwH thus USD325K installed? The array being 200kW at roughtly what USD8/kW so roughtly USD1.6M installed.... so basically a USD2Million loan/subsidy from FEMA?

What they don't say is the cost per kWh which the hospital has to fork out.
I wonder what there normal electricity cost is?

A brand new 200kW generator will cost roughly USD30K therefore how much fuel could they have for the difference between USD2M and USD30K?

And they lost their car park....
Fitz is offline  
Old October 30th, 2017, 09:21 AM   #18
Representative
 
Fitz's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2017
From: Medway Towns, Kent
Posts: 239

Quote:
Originally Posted by tecoyah View Post
The Government of Puerto Rico is currently negotiating major infrastructure choices, but the freebies were for emergency aid.
A solar array installed in a car park is hardly emergency aid!
A generator airlifted in would have been better value for money and more practical.
Fitz is offline  
Old October 30th, 2017, 11:14 AM   #19
Secretary of State
 
tecoyah's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2012
From: Louisville, Ky
Posts: 3,584

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitz View Post
A solar array installed in a car park is hardly emergency aid!
A generator airlifted in would have been better value for money and more practical.
The childrens hospital already had generators...fuel for them was the issue.
tecoyah is offline  
Old October 30th, 2017, 11:44 AM   #20
Representative
 
Fitz's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2017
From: Medway Towns, Kent
Posts: 239

Quote:
Originally Posted by tecoyah View Post
The childrens hospital already had generators...fuel for them was the issue.
I know but fuel was easy to get once the roads were clear and in any case could have been airlifted. As I said generation was never a major issue just seems to me that Musk turned it into a marketing ploy at the tax payers expense. Good for him! A great opportunity but a waste of time and money for the hospital that is lumbered with all that useless stuff... and no car park.
Again I assume Mr. Musk’s largesse will not extent to the islands distribution network?
Fitz is offline  
Reply

  Political Fray > The Political Fray > Current Events

Tags
puerto , rico , tesla



Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Puerto Rico numan Current Events 2 October 4th, 2017 07:32 AM


Facebook Twitter RSS Feed



Copyright © 2009-2013 Political Fray. All rights reserved.