The Political Fray - Political Forum
Go Back   Political Fray > The Political Fray > Current Events

Current Events Latest news, current events, and headlines from around the world


Thanks Tree2Thanks
  • 1 Post By Ralph47
  • 1 Post By numan
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old November 21st, 2017, 03:15 PM   #1
Governor
 
Ralph47's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2017
From: Behind the 8 ball
Posts: 1,838

NASA Backing Off On Water On Mars Conclusion

Back in 2011, NASA scientists announced they had spotted compelling evidence that water sometimes still flowed on Mars. Now, researchers are backpedaling on these watery conclusions.

To NASA's credit, the 2011 evidence looked quite convincing. Images captured by the Mars Reconnaissance Orbiter a NASA satellite orbiting Mars showed telltale dark streaks running down various mountains, valleys, and craters on Mars. They look strikingly similar to features formed on Earth's surface by flowing water.

But, according to a new study in the journal Nature Geoscience, it turns out these dark streaks are made mostly of "granular flow" sand and perhaps rocks falling downhill rather than water flowing down valleys during the warmer Martian summers.

Researchers show that water didn't carve these dark flows on Mars
Thanks from tecoyah
Ralph47 is online now  
Old November 21st, 2017, 03:47 PM   #2
Governor
 
numan's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2016
From: Victoria, BC
Posts: 1,343

'
As I recall, there is evidence of frozen water at the poles of Mars --- and probably frozen water underground.
.
Thanks from tecoyah
numan is offline  
Old November 23rd, 2017, 06:31 AM   #3
Vice President
 
David's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2009
From: Opa Locka
Posts: 5,660

Quote:
Originally Posted by numan View Post
'
As I recall, there is evidence of frozen water at the poles of Mars --- and probably frozen water underground.
.
Mars by rights should have a surface atmosphere about what you'd expect at Denver. But it's so cold, it's all in the permafrost. This is why talk of terraforming always involves global warming, you could have a stable H2O/CO2 atmosphere (which would warm the planet further) just by melting the permafrost. No crazy engineering necessary past getting the process kickstarted.
David is offline  
Old November 23rd, 2017, 06:49 AM   #4
Governor
 
Ralph47's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2017
From: Behind the 8 ball
Posts: 1,838

Quote:
Originally Posted by David View Post
Mars by rights should have a surface atmosphere about what you'd expect at Denver. But it's so cold, it's all in the permafrost. This is why talk of terraforming always involves global warming, you could have a stable H2O/CO2 atmosphere (which would warm the planet further) just by melting the permafrost. No crazy engineering necessary past getting the process kickstarted.
Nature does what nature wants.
Ralph47 is online now  
Old November 23rd, 2017, 06:55 AM   #5
Retired
 
tecoyah's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2012
From: Louisville, Ky
Posts: 3,775

Quote:
Originally Posted by David View Post
Mars by rights should have a surface atmosphere about what you'd expect at Denver. But it's so cold, it's all in the permafrost. This is why talk of terraforming always involves global warming, you could have a stable H2O/CO2 atmosphere (which would warm the planet further) just by melting the permafrost. No crazy engineering necessary past getting the process kickstarted.
Mars has several issues that prevent stability of an atmosphere, biggest amongst them being the lack of magnetic field which allows lighter elements (oxygen,CO2 etc...) to be stripped away by the solar wind. Until this as well as gravity considerations are tackled any attempt at terraforming will be at best temporary.
Viability of any long term colony will require the incorporation of Lava Tube construction to protect against Cosmic/Solar radiation degrading our DNA and extraction of atmosphere from the soils on a limited basis for habitat vs. planet.
tecoyah is offline  
Old November 23rd, 2017, 08:49 AM   #6
Vice President
 
David's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2009
From: Opa Locka
Posts: 5,660

Quote:
Originally Posted by tecoyah View Post
Mars has several issues that prevent stability of an atmosphere, biggest amongst them being the lack of magnetic field
Let me stop you right there. Venus doesn't have a magnetic field either and is even closer to the sun than Mars. That was an early hypothesis but it's been debunked for years. What happened was the opposite of what happened to Venus, a runaway cooling effect that caused the atmosphere to condense and freeze. How that happened nobody knows yet but solarwinds aren't part of it.
David is offline  
Old November 23rd, 2017, 08:51 AM   #7
Retired
 
tecoyah's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2012
From: Louisville, Ky
Posts: 3,775

Quote:
Originally Posted by David View Post
Let me stop you right there. Venus doesn't have a magnetic field either and is even closer to the sun than Mars. That was an early hypothesis but it's been debunked for years. What happened was the opposite of what happened to Venus, a runaway cooling effect that caused the atmosphere to condense and freeze. How that happened nobody knows yet but solarwinds aren't part of it.
If you say so...okay
tecoyah is offline  
Reply

  Political Fray > The Political Fray > Current Events

Tags
backing , conclusion , mars , nasa , water



Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
So, who are you backing in the Presidential race? David Government and Politics 34 October 5th, 2012 03:41 PM
NASA fire sale! David Current Events 13 January 22nd, 2010 07:47 PM


Facebook Twitter RSS Feed



Copyright © 2009-2013 Political Fray. All rights reserved.