The Political Fray - Political Forum
Go Back   Political Fray > The Political Fray > Current Events

Current Events Latest news, current events, and headlines from around the world


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old June 25th, 2009, 12:18 AM   #1
Representative
 
Joined: Mar 2009
From: Florida, USA
Posts: 422

What can we actually do about North Korea?

Seriously, we are pretty limited in what we can do. One reason that a country might want to join the nuclear club is it means the rest of the world loses a lot of leverage. We can impose sanctions, but they only work if the target government actually cares if its people starve. This one doesn't.

And there is the question of what we should do if they actually attack someone. I think we should just wipe them out. I'm not sure there is much else we could do.
curious is offline  
Old June 25th, 2009, 12:46 AM   #2
Representative
 
GekiDan's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2009
From: Philippines
Posts: 416

We can just attack them since they have warned the US that they will fire "showers of nuclear missiles" in retaliation.

Quote:
SEOUL, South Korea – North Korea vowed Thursday to enlarge its atomic arsenal and warned of a "fire shower of nuclear retaliation" in the event of a U.S. attack, as the regime marked the 1950 outbreak of the Korean War.

The anniversary came as the U.S. Navy trailed a North Korean ship suspected of carrying weapons in violation of a U.N. resolution punishing Pyongyang's May 25 nuclear test, and as anticipation mounted that the North might test-fire short- or mid-range missiles in the coming days.

Source: http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090625/...koreas_nuclear
GekiDan is offline  
Old June 25th, 2009, 12:23 PM   #3
myp
Founding Father
 
myp's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2009
From: us
Posts: 5,907

I think right now our best move would be to lay low and continue to offer the hand of peace. We should continue to focus on our defense as opposed to aggression. As for sanctions, they have not ever and will not ever work regardless of whether or not a country cares if their people starve. Look at Cuba as an example, our embargo against them has only hurt both of our economies.
myp is offline  
Old June 25th, 2009, 01:12 PM   #4
Congressional Leader
 
DodgeFB's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2009
From: Undisclosed
Posts: 2,821

I am not a big fan of "the hand of peace". When we offer a hand the other guy expects it to have a check in it. And most times it does.
DodgeFB is offline  
Old June 25th, 2009, 02:40 PM   #5
myp
Founding Father
 
myp's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2009
From: us
Posts: 5,907

Quote:
Originally Posted by DodgeFB View Post
I am not a big fan of "the hand of peace". When we offer a hand the other guy expects it to have a check in it. And most times it does.
Oh no, don't get me wrong- I support the free hand of peace, not a payoff.
myp is offline  
Old June 25th, 2009, 08:43 PM   #6
Representative
 
Delta's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2009
Posts: 369

Quote:
Originally Posted by curious View Post
And there is the question of what we should do if they actually attack someone. I think we should just wipe them out. I'm not sure there is much else we could do.
Agreed, wipe the whole country right off the map. The longer we "lay low" the longer they have to build their nukes. It's a stupid move to just sit and watch... just places more power in their hands.

Why not just assassinate Kim jong il and any of his successors?
Delta is offline  
Old June 26th, 2009, 05:34 PM   #7
Congressional Leader
 
DodgeFB's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2009
From: Undisclosed
Posts: 2,821

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delta View Post
Agreed, wipe the whole country right off the map. The longer we "lay low" the longer they have to build their nukes. It's a stupid move to just sit and watch... just places more power in their hands.

Why not just assassinate Kim jong il and any of his successors?
Yeah man!

Let it begin now!
DodgeFB is offline  
Old June 26th, 2009, 08:15 PM   #8
Representative
 
GekiDan's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2009
From: Philippines
Posts: 416

Quote:
Originally Posted by myp View Post
Oh no, don't get me wrong- I support the free hand of peace, not a payoff.
Same here. Nothing is much better than a peace talk, not war.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delta View Post
Agreed, wipe the whole country right off the map. The longer we "lay low" the longer they have to build their nukes. It's a stupid move to just sit and watch... just places more power in their hands.

Why not just assassinate Kim jong il and any of his successors?
Oh, the return of Delta. :eek:
Just I said before, I didn't support any war since many innocent people will only get affected.
GekiDan is offline  
Old June 27th, 2009, 08:55 AM   #9
Congressional Leader
 
DodgeFB's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2009
From: Undisclosed
Posts: 2,821

And "many innocent people" are getting affected here by Obama's ego trip. I knew he was lying when he said he was only going to hit the "rich". He is either a liar or dumber than Bush. Who in hell does he think pays the final bill on the tax hikes on business? Poor people will pay the cost of "cap and trade"! Most will do without. At our house we already sit in the dark and only turn on a light to find something. We drove a total of about 700 miles in 2008. But cap and trade will make us become more efficient!
DodgeFB is offline  
Old June 27th, 2009, 10:35 PM   #10
Representative
 
Joined: Mar 2009
From: Florida, USA
Posts: 422

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delta View Post
Agreed, wipe the whole country right off the map. The longer we "lay low" the longer they have to build their nukes. It's a stupid move to just sit and watch... just places more power in their hands.

Why not just assassinate Kim jong il and any of his successors?
I said IF THEY ACTUALLY USE NUCLEAR WEAPONS TO ATTACK SOMEONE. In that case our options are really limited.
curious is offline  
Old June 27th, 2009, 10:37 PM   #11
Representative
 
Joined: Mar 2009
From: Florida, USA
Posts: 422

Quote:
Originally Posted by DodgeFB View Post
And "many innocent people" are getting affected here by Obama's ego trip. I knew he was lying when he said he was only going to hit the "rich". He is either a liar or dumber than Bush. Who in hell does he think pays the final bill on the tax hikes on business? Poor people will pay the cost of "cap and trade"! Most will do without. At our house we already sit in the dark and only turn on a light to find something. We drove a total of about 700 miles in 2008. But cap and trade will make us become more efficient!
Can you discuss nothing without starting an Obama rant? I'm beginning to suspect racism in some of these rants, since they have nothing to do with the topic at hand. I swear, if the man lowered your taxes, you would think it was a plot. I sort of wonder what universe you live in.
curious is offline  
Old June 28th, 2009, 02:36 AM   #12
Secretary of State
 
deanhills's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2009
Posts: 2,187

Quote:
Originally Posted by curious View Post
Can you discuss nothing without starting an Obama rant? I'm beginning to suspect racism in some of these rants, since they have nothing to do with the topic at hand. I swear, if the man lowered your taxes, you would think it was a plot. I sort of wonder what universe you live in.
Come off it, who introduced the Bill - Obama? So who else is there to rant against? Obama made huge speeches during his Presidential campaign and is still continuing with big speeches, all that I am seeing are speeches, spending, and more speeches.
deanhills is offline  
Old June 28th, 2009, 07:22 AM   #13
Congressional Leader
 
DodgeFB's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2009
From: Undisclosed
Posts: 2,821

Quote:
Originally Posted by curious View Post
Can you discuss nothing without starting an Obama rant? I'm beginning to suspect racism in some of these rants, since they have nothing to do with the topic at hand. I swear, if the man lowered your taxes, you would think it was a plot. I sort of wonder what universe you live in.
Who brought up race? Not me.

By the way, my biracial nephew would be very offended by your opinion of his uncle. He has loved me a lot for over 30 years.

Last edited by DodgeFB; June 28th, 2009 at 07:31 AM.
DodgeFB is offline  
Old June 28th, 2009, 10:57 PM   #14
Representative
 
Joined: Mar 2009
From: Florida, USA
Posts: 422

The constant rants against Obama, especially when they are inserted off topic in a thread, just made me wonder. Made me remember the 50's and 60's. This particular post was totally off topic. It had nothing to do with the previous discussion.

And you can't complain that all he has done is make speeches then turn around and complain that he is getting major pieces of legislation, like cap and trade and a medical insurance bill through congress. He is either doing nothing or succeeding in getting a lot of things you don't like done. You can't have it bothe ways.
curious is offline  
Old June 28th, 2009, 10:59 PM   #15
Representative
 
Joined: Mar 2009
From: Florida, USA
Posts: 422

Now, could we get back to the topic? North Korea! What should we be doing now, given the threats of nuclear attack? Should we ignore them? And just what should the punishment be for using first-strike nukes? And by 'we' I mean the rest of the world, not just the US. That would be something the world should respond to.
curious is offline  
Old June 29th, 2009, 09:53 AM   #16
Congressional Leader
 
DodgeFB's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2009
From: Undisclosed
Posts: 2,821

Quote:
Originally Posted by curious View Post
The constant rants against Obama, especially when they are inserted off topic in a thread, just made me wonder. Made me remember the 50's and 60's. This particular post was totally off topic. It had nothing to do with the previous discussion.

And you can't complain that all he has done is make speeches then turn around and complain that he is getting major pieces of legislation, like cap and trade and a medical insurance bill through congress. He is either doing nothing or succeeding in getting a lot of things you don't like done. You can't have it bothe ways.
Okay. In my opinion we would be better off if he went on vacation and never signed another thing as long as he is there. But I feel the same about congress and the senate. We are better off with them out having fun at the tax payers expense. Cheaper that way.
DodgeFB is offline  
Old June 30th, 2009, 01:02 AM   #17
Secretary of State
 
deanhills's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2009
Posts: 2,187

Quote:
Originally Posted by DodgeFB View Post
Okay. In my opinion we would be better off if he went on vacation and never signed another thing as long as he is there. But I feel the same about congress and the senate. We are better off with them out having fun at the tax payers expense. Cheaper that way.
Now you're talking! I was thinking exactly about this as well. I'm completely horrified about what Obama is doing spendingwise. He was barely in office and was already planning spending in the trillions. And he is still continuing along those lines. It's the equivalent of a young couple getting married, and before saving a little get into the house, completely furnished with all the trimmings in it. Can't Obama at least wait until the economy has had a chance of recovering a little, pay off a little of the debt, I'm sure it has not even got enough loans yet to cover the trillions in budget and bail-out package, BEFORE he goes on the Healthcare bill, and IN THE MEANWHILE, put a machinery in motion on regional and state level for working through the Healthcare bill paragraph by paragraph in all its ramifications, have commissions of enquiry, debate it, have hearings, and by the time the US is in its next upswing, then get it going. But now this is the problem of course. He is already working on getting re-elected. This is about ego and proving how great he is. Which is human as that seems to be what Presidents are about these days. Four-year stint, and therefore you have only four years, so spend as much as you can to get these bills run through as quickly as possible!
deanhills is offline  
Old June 30th, 2009, 10:05 PM   #18
Representative
 
Joined: Mar 2009
From: Florida, USA
Posts: 422

OMG!! This thread is about North Korea, not about Obama bashing. What in the world is the matter here?
curious is offline  
Old July 1st, 2009, 09:52 AM   #19
Congressional Leader
 
DodgeFB's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2009
From: Undisclosed
Posts: 2,821

Quote:
Originally Posted by curious View Post
OMG!! This thread is about North Korea, not about Obama bashing. What in the world is the matter here?
Obama fits in every thread on every site. The world revolves around him. He has come to save us from ourselves.

Just think about all the nasty stuff I had to put up with for 8 years. That was not always fun either. Some think Bush is responsible for everything that went wrong in the world since Washington.
DodgeFB is offline  
Old July 2nd, 2009, 12:40 AM   #20
Secretary of State
 
deanhills's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2009
Posts: 2,187

Quote:
Originally Posted by curious View Post
OMG!! This thread is about North Korea, not about Obama bashing. What in the world is the matter here?
So far Obama has been the main spokesman and heaviest critic of North Korea regarding the testing of its nuclear missile systems. So that probably opens him up for bashing, if bashing is necessary. Sort of comes with the turf He is trying to project a very tough positions viz a viz North Korea, but wonder how far that will go, as of course behind North Korea is China, and the US owes China the greatest proportion of its accumulated debt. So Obama may only be posturing and trying to market anti-North Korean views for international consumption perhaps. I can't see the US invading North Korea, can you?

Last edited by deanhills; July 2nd, 2009 at 12:43 AM.
deanhills is offline  
Reply

  Political Fray > The Political Fray > Current Events

Tags
korea , north



Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
North Korea and South Korea exchange artillery fire myp Current Events 18 August 25th, 2011 01:07 PM
North Korea is Not a Good Neighbor obtuseobserver Current Events 0 November 28th, 2010 10:45 PM
US Journalists on Trial in North Korea deanhills Current Events 1 June 4th, 2009 05:21 AM
North Korea Can Wipe Out the U.S.? Dodong Current Events 14 March 21st, 2009 01:31 AM


Facebook Twitter RSS Feed



Copyright © 2009-2013 Political Fray. All rights reserved.