The Political Fray - Political Forum
Go Back   Political Fray > The Political Fray > Economics

Economics For discussion about economics, financial markets, investing, stock markets, finance, and economic theory


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old February 5th, 2010, 09:11 PM   #1
Representative
 
dave's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2010
From: Alaska
Posts: 131

Economic future of the USA

Who thinks the USA is headed for a major economic meltdown?

Do you think we are too big too fail? If the USA collapses, it will probably bring down the world with it. Isn't that enough motivation for the other nations to work to prevent a collapse?

Do you think the national leaders know what they are doing and will pull the nation through?

Or do you think there will be a complete collapse in which God, guns, and gold will rule?

If you think there will be a collapse, are you preparing for it?
dave is offline  
Old February 6th, 2010, 02:11 AM   #2
Vice President
 
David's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2009
From: Opa Locka
Posts: 5,661

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave View Post
Who thinks the USA is headed for a major economic meltdown?

Do you think we are too big too fail? If the USA collapses, it will probably bring down the world with it. Isn't that enough motivation for the other nations to work to prevent a collapse?

Do you think the national leaders know what they are doing and will pull the nation through?

Or do you think there will be a complete collapse in which God, guns, and gold will rule?

If you think there will be a collapse, are you preparing for it?
America is already dead, not everyone realizes it yet.
David is offline  
Old February 6th, 2010, 04:08 AM   #3
Congressional Leader
 
DodgeFB's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2009
From: Undisclosed
Posts: 2,751

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave View Post
Who thinks the USA is headed for a major economic meltdown?

Do you think we are too big too fail? If the USA collapses, it will probably bring down the world with it. Isn't that enough motivation for the other nations to work to prevent a collapse?

Do you think the national leaders know what they are doing and will pull the nation through?

Or do you think there will be a complete collapse in which God, guns, and gold will rule?

If you think there will be a collapse, are you preparing for it?
The US that I grew up in is long gone. Some of our best land for growing food is now covered in roads, houses and shopping centers. Too much of our industry has been allowed to die. I am not sure we are any smarter, but we are meaner. I see less respect for everything. Hell some kids today don't even know what respect is.
DodgeFB is offline  
Old February 6th, 2010, 06:00 AM   #4
Representative
 
Joined: May 2009
From: USA
Posts: 225

There is worse was to come with business failures and bankruptcy. (More than half of major business is running on commercial credit with "second lien" financing that is in default.) Major manufacturers (e.g., GM and Chrysler) have shut down plants, and chain retail businesses (e.g., Circuit City) closed their doors, and filed bankruptcy. With bankruptcy will come rising long-term unemployment, and finally the slide into economic depression. It has a cascading effect that the government?s intervention is desperately trying to stop - but more likely to only succeed in slowing its inexorable progress. The long-term economic fallout will be very, very ugly.
Nemo is offline  
Old February 6th, 2010, 06:08 AM   #5
Vice President
 
David's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2009
From: Opa Locka
Posts: 5,661

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemo View Post
There is worse was to come with business failures and bankruptcy. (More than half of major business is running on commercial credit with "second lien" financing that is in default.) Major manufacturers (e.g., GM and Chrysler) have shut down plants, and chain retail businesses (e.g., Circuit City) closed their doors, and filed bankruptcy. With bankruptcy will come rising long-term unemployment, and finally the slide into economic depression. It has a cascading effect that the government’s intervention is desperately trying to stop - but more likely to only succeed in slowing its inexorable progress. The long-term economic fallout will be very, very ugly.
We can't get out, we're too deep in the hole. If this was Sim City, the gov't would of already suffered a "game over" coup and reset.
David is offline  
Old February 6th, 2010, 12:09 PM   #6
GOP
Representative
 
GOP's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2010
From: United Kingdom
Posts: 360

I think it will be okay in the future. United States experienced back in the 30's and had one of it's high times after that. Society must stop being so negative and this "give up"-mentality that most of us have so tiring.
GOP is offline  
Old February 6th, 2010, 04:33 PM   #7
Anarchist
 
Dirk's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2009
From: Disunited Queendom
Posts: 1,943

The US is on its way out as the imperial and economic master of the world. Too bad, nothing lasts forever. The question is, who will replace it?
Dirk is offline  
Old February 6th, 2010, 04:47 PM   #8
GOP
Representative
 
GOP's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2010
From: United Kingdom
Posts: 360

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirk View Post
The US is on its way out as the imperial and economic master of the world. Too bad, nothing lasts forever. The question is, who will replace it?
The problem isn't that the United States is about to wind up in runner up the world's largest economy. The problem is who's replacing them, as you mentioned, and that's going to be China. Of course when China became a capitalistic society, they started to grow which is a consequence of capitalism.
GOP is offline  
Old February 6th, 2010, 05:06 PM   #9
Anarchist
 
Dirk's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2009
From: Disunited Queendom
Posts: 1,943

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOP View Post
The problem isn't that the United States is about to wind up in runner up the world's largest economy. The problem is who's replacing them, as you mentioned, and that's going to be China. Of course when China became a capitalistic society, they started to grow which is a consequence of capitalism.
Well, they were growing in their neo-Feudal agrarian society, just not much.

I think whether China will become the dominant economy is largely subjective to how it responds to the need for change to sustainable energy sources. Comparative to the others with a high potential - namely India and Brazil. Certainly in the near future, China will be right up there.
Dirk is offline  
Old February 6th, 2010, 05:11 PM   #10
GOP
Representative
 
GOP's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2010
From: United Kingdom
Posts: 360

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirk View Post
I think whether China will become the dominant economy is largely subjective to how it responds to the need for change to sustainable energy sources. Comparative to the others with a high potential - namely India and Brazil. Certainly in the near future, China will be right up there.
China will still be, during this decade, the largest economy in the world. Personally that scares me considering the psychotic leaders they have in that country.
GOP is offline  
Old February 6th, 2010, 05:15 PM   #11
Anarchist
 
Dirk's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2009
From: Disunited Queendom
Posts: 1,943

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOP View Post
China will still be, during this decade, the largest economy in the world.
I agree.

Quote:
Personally that scares me considering the psychotic leaders they have in that country.
That's what you get when you allow Governments too much power.
Dirk is offline  
Old February 6th, 2010, 05:17 PM   #12
GOP
Representative
 
GOP's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2010
From: United Kingdom
Posts: 360

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirk View Post
That's what you get when you allow Governments too much power.
In a country lead by communists, yes most definitely.
GOP is offline  
Old February 6th, 2010, 05:19 PM   #13
Anarchist
 
Dirk's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2009
From: Disunited Queendom
Posts: 1,943

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOP View Post
In a country lead by communists, yes most definitely.
*groans*

Ugh, doesn't understand communism, either!

Oh, i can't be bothered, plus, your avatar unnerves me slightly. I'm going to bed.
Dirk is offline  
Old February 6th, 2010, 05:23 PM   #14
GOP
Representative
 
GOP's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2010
From: United Kingdom
Posts: 360

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirk View Post
Ugh, doesn't understand communism, either!
I understand what Stalin, Pol Pot and Mao have done. If that is bothersome for people who still choose to hail these, I wouldn't and couldn't possibly answer to, but to me these are evil, sick and twisted power hungry people. Unfortunately China are still controlled by the same type of people today, they've changed their society into a more free market friendly type of society though, they had to to compete with the West. But their way of shutting people (who don't share the same opinions as the Chinese government does) up, is to me obnoxious, and very typical for communists.
GOP is offline  
Old February 6th, 2010, 10:52 PM   #15
Vice President
 
David's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2009
From: Opa Locka
Posts: 5,661

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOP View Post
I understand what Stalin, Pol Pot and Mao have done. If that is bothersome for people who still choose to hail these, I wouldn't and couldn't possibly answer to, but to me these are evil, sick and twisted power hungry people. Unfortunately China are still controlled by the same type of people today, they've changed their society into a more free market friendly type of society though, they had to to compete with the West. But their way of shutting people (who don't share the same opinions as the Chinese government does) up, is to me obnoxious, and very typical for communists.
Pol Pot was deposed by the Vietnamese. I don't think you'll find many hailing him.
David is offline  
Old February 6th, 2010, 10:53 PM   #16
GOP
Representative
 
GOP's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2010
From: United Kingdom
Posts: 360

Quote:
Originally Posted by David View Post
Pol Pot was deposed by the Vietnamese. I don't think you'll find many hailing him.
I should hope not.
GOP is offline  
Old February 6th, 2010, 11:02 PM   #17
Vice President
 
David's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2009
From: Opa Locka
Posts: 5,661

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOP View Post
I should hope not.
My point is, the 3 people you named are likely the 3 most hated people in socialism after Hitler. Even the Soviets of all people "de-Stalinized" after that bastard finally did everyone a favor and died.
David is offline  
Old February 6th, 2010, 11:04 PM   #18
GOP
Representative
 
GOP's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2010
From: United Kingdom
Posts: 360

Quote:
Originally Posted by David View Post
My point is, the 3 people you named are likely the 3 most hated people in socialism after Hitler. Even the Soviets of all people "de-Stalinized" after that bastard finally did everyone a favor and died.
Are there anyone likable in socialism?
GOP is offline  
Old February 6th, 2010, 11:06 PM   #19
Vice President
 
David's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2009
From: Opa Locka
Posts: 5,661

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOP View Post
Are there anyone likable in socialism?
That you would like? I think not. Che seems pretty popular, however.
David is offline  
Old February 6th, 2010, 11:11 PM   #20
GOP
Representative
 
GOP's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2010
From: United Kingdom
Posts: 360

Quote:
Originally Posted by David View Post
That you would like? I think not. Che seems pretty popular, however.
Yes, he receives his fame and fortune after he's dead. I think it's sick how, especially teenagers, wear him as an icon on their bags, clothing, hats etc. It makes me appalled.
GOP is offline  
Reply

  Political Fray > The Political Fray > Economics

Tags
economic , future , usa



Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
The future of the Clintons myp Government and Politics 16 December 21st, 2012 09:59 AM
Nate Silver and the future of election predicting myp Government and Politics 1 November 11th, 2012 11:51 AM
Samoa will skip a day into the future myp Current Events 0 December 28th, 2011 07:49 PM
What is Sarah Palins future? omej Current Events 36 January 25th, 2010 03:58 AM


Facebook Twitter RSS Feed



Copyright © 2009-2013 Political Fray. All rights reserved.