The Political Fray - Political Forum
Go Back   Political Fray > The Political Fray > Economics

Economics For discussion about economics, financial markets, investing, stock markets, finance, and economic theory


Thanks Tree2Thanks
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old March 8th, 2014, 09:56 AM   #1
President
 
Aufgeblassen's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2013
From: Central FL
Posts: 11,619

Forget Hybrids; Diesels Are Much More Viable

As evidenced by the new Chevy Cruze diesel, and the upcoming 2015 Ford Focus sport diesel:

Ford Focus ST Diesel Confirmed: Diesel-Powered Focus ST Has its Eyes Set on the VW Golf GTD [REPORT]

Aufgeblassen is offline  
Old March 8th, 2014, 04:22 PM   #2
Governor
 
Polydectes's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2013
From: just past the moons of Jupiter
Posts: 2,234

I doubt dieses will replace gasoline vehicles. They lack horse power. They are more complex to operate, they have stricter tolerances.

One thing I hope to see though is the turbo charger get a better rap in the automotive world. Gasoline it's the fuel we use because it is plentiful. Diesel engines have their place. I seriously doubt it will be inmost automobiles. It's just not practical.
Polydectes is offline  
Old March 8th, 2014, 04:42 PM   #3
President
 
Aufgeblassen's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2013
From: Central FL
Posts: 11,619

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polydectes View Post
I doubt dieses will replace gasoline vehicles. They lack horse power.
They have torque that far exceeds gasoline engines. It is indeed torque which gets you down the road. HP merely gives you top speed, but nobody drives at top speed!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polydectes View Post
They are more complex to operate, they have stricter tolerances.
Huh??? You put in in gear, steer accelerate, brake. Exactly same as gasser. "Tolerances" has no effect on operator.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polydectes View Post

I seriously doubt it will be in most automobiles. It's just not practical.
Huh??? In Europe, about 80% of cars are diesels!!!

You are about 35 years behind the times!
Aufgeblassen is offline  
Old March 8th, 2014, 05:05 PM   #4
Governor
 
Polydectes's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2013
From: just past the moons of Jupiter
Posts: 2,234

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aufgeblassen View Post
They have torque that far exceeds gasoline engines. It is indeed torque which gets you down the road. HP merely gives you top speed, but nobody drives at top speed!!!
Diesels have low end torque, that gets you off the line, helps you pull a trailer. They don't have the mid andhigh end torque, that gasoline cars have. If they did you would see more farm tractors at dragraces.



Quote:
Huh??? You put in in gear, steer accelerate, brake. Exactly same as gasser. "Tolerances" has no effect on operator.
When you go to get the maintenance on it or most definitely will have an effect on the owner, operator is immaterial.



Quote:
Huh??? In Europe, about 80% of cars are diesels!!!
That is Europe.

Quote:
You are about 35 years behind the times!
You are about 4000 miles west of the times. 35 years ago about gm built diesel vehicles that were total flops.

95% of cars are gasoline powered on the United states. You are in fact about 35 years behind the times. Kiddo.
Polydectes is offline  
Old March 8th, 2014, 05:20 PM   #5
President
 
Aufgeblassen's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2013
From: Central FL
Posts: 11,619

It is quite obvious you have never driven a modern diesel car. They have a broad, flat torque curve. Mine is at maximum torque from about 53 MPH to 82 MPH!



Furthermore, you are mistaken if you think the early GM diesels were technical flops; they were not. Only marketing was poor.

The '85 Olds Cutlass Ciera Brougham I had, with 4.3L V-6 was awesome indeed. I got it at 99,000 miles and 4 years old, and put another 100,000 trouble-free miles on it. Totally loved it. Got great mileage for as much torque and as peppy it was.
Aufgeblassen is offline  
Old March 8th, 2014, 05:42 PM   #6
Governor
 
Polydectes's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2013
From: just past the moons of Jupiter
Posts: 2,234

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aufgeblassen View Post
It is quite obvious you have never driven a modern diesel car. They have a broad, flat torque curve. Mine is at maximum torque from about 53 MPH to 82 MPH!
-Yawn- I have driven morediesels than you have ever seen. And if they had such a better torque curve than gasoline cars you would see them winning drag races.

Did you forget that fact?



Quote:
Furthermore, you are mistaken if you think the early GM diesels were technical flops; they were not. Only marketing was poor.
No I am not, they were junk.

Quote:
The '85 Olds Cutlass Ciera Brougham I had, with 4.3L V-6 was awesome indeed. I got it at 99,000 miles and 4 years old, and put another 100,000 trouble-free miles on it. Totally loved it. Got great mileage for as much torque and as peppy it was.
Good for you, gm's diesels were more suitable boat anchors than engines. Just becauseyou don't know what a good car is and had a decent one, and tend to be a fanboy doesn't change that.

I had rebuilt more gm garbage cans than any other engine. Ever wonder why they switched to the duramax?
Polydectes is offline  
Old March 9th, 2014, 05:45 AM   #7
President
 
Aufgeblassen's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2013
From: Central FL
Posts: 11,619

[QUOTE=Polydectes;49093 Ever wonder why they switched to the duramax?[/QUOTE]

Because the 6.5 was a POS. But the 6.2 before that was pretty decent.

Furthermore, you cannot Daytona 500 racing with real world soccer mom commuting. The diesel is highly suited for daily commutes. I did it for 180,000 miles in 7 years, 90 miles round trips per day from Orlando area to the Cape. All this was done with minimal maintenance (i.e. oil changes extended from 10K to 20K miles, fuel filter changes extended from 20K to 40K miles, never changing coolant).

Last edited by Aufgeblassen; March 9th, 2014 at 05:52 AM.
Aufgeblassen is offline  
Old March 9th, 2014, 06:37 AM   #8
Governor
 
Polydectes's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2013
From: just past the moons of Jupiter
Posts: 2,234

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aufgeblassen View Post
Because the 6.5 was a POS. But the 6.2 before that was pretty decent.

Furthermore, you cannot Daytona 500 racing with real world soccer mom commuting. The diesel is highly suited for daily commutes. I did it for 180,000 miles in 7 years, 90 miles round trips per day from Orlando area to the Cape. All this was done with minimal maintenance (i.e. oil changes extended from 10K to 20K miles, fuel filter changes extended from 20K to 40K miles, never changing coolant).
90 mile round trip is hardly a daily commute. For thatthe diesel is superb. It's the 15 block commute that wears them out quickly.

The 6.2 wasn't decent unless it was used to anchor a boat. Why wouldn't you by a ford with the power stroke, our the bigger ford with the caterpillar or Cummins in it. It the dodge which was nearly completely built by kenworth?

Oh wait, gm fanboy.

Last edited by Polydectes; March 9th, 2014 at 06:41 AM.
Polydectes is offline  
Old March 9th, 2014, 07:11 AM   #9
President
 
Aufgeblassen's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2013
From: Central FL
Posts: 11,619

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polydectes View Post
It's the 15 block commute that wears them out quickly.
Actually, not true if you use synthetic oil.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polydectes View Post

Why wouldn't you by a ford with the power stroke?
Actually, that is precisely what I have!!! A 2007 Crew Cab F-350 XLT 6.0L Powerstroke!



[/QUOTE]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polydectes View Post

Oh wait, gm fanboy.
Incorrect again!!! I am FAR from a Government Motors fan. In the dozens of vehicles I've had over the last 37 years, I've had only one (1) GM vehicle as a daily commuter, and I got that for such a good deal, I could not refuse it; $2995 for a four (4) year old two-tone (light blue & dark blue) mid-sized car that was in excellent condition.

Similar to this one:


Last edited by Aufgeblassen; March 9th, 2014 at 07:16 AM.
Aufgeblassen is offline  
Old March 9th, 2014, 07:53 AM   #10
Governor
 
Polydectes's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2013
From: just past the moons of Jupiter
Posts: 2,234

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aufgeblassen View Post
Actually, not true if you use synthetic oil.
Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha okay.


Quote:
Actually, that is precisely what I have!!! A 2007 Crew Cab F-350 XLT 6.0L Powerstroke!
Great choice for pulling a trailer.. it's still not a goodcommuter vehicle.


Quote:
Incorrect again!!! I am FAR from a Government Motors fan. In the dozens of vehicles I've had over the last 37 years, I've had only one (1) GM vehicle as a daily commuter, and I got that for such a good deal, I could not refuse it; $2995 for a four (4) year old two-tone (light blue & dark blue) mid-sized car that was in excellent condition.

Similar to this one:

[IMG]http://phoMG]
SO you don't know anything about them then. But I knew that already
Polydectes is offline  
Old March 9th, 2014, 08:15 AM   #11
President
 
Aufgeblassen's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2013
From: Central FL
Posts: 11,619

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polydectes View Post

SO you don't know anything about them then. But I knew that already
I know quite a bit, actually. If you think they were merely
"gas conversions", as rumors had it, you had fallen for the rumors, hook, line, & sinker!

My boss at GTE Huntsville had a Cadillac diesel, about an '83. He loved it. Used to regularly go to his home town of Chicago for vacation.
Aufgeblassen is offline  
Old March 9th, 2014, 09:51 AM   #12
Governor
 
Polydectes's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2013
From: just past the moons of Jupiter
Posts: 2,234

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aufgeblassen View Post
I know quite a bit, actually. If you think they were merely
"gas conversions", as rumors had it, you had fallen for the rumors, hook, line, & sinker!
A 4 stroke diesel engine is fundamentally no different than a gasoline engine, short of ignition systems. So to believe they are converted gasoline engines isn't that far off. Now a days gasoline powered cars have fuel injectors with was really the major mechanical difference between diesel engines and gasoline engines

Quote:
My boss at GTE Huntsville had a Cadillac diesel, about an '83. He loved it. Used to regularly go to his home town of Chicago for vacation.
I am happy for him. I still don't think diesel is going to be common in American cars. Thefact that you have that option now is neat though.
Polydectes is offline  
Old March 9th, 2014, 09:54 AM   #13
President
 
Aufgeblassen's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2013
From: Central FL
Posts: 11,619

The big difference was they used heavy duty main bearings in the diesels. Had they not, engines would have failed in short order.
Aufgeblassen is offline  
Old March 9th, 2014, 11:14 AM   #14
Governor
 
Polydectes's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2013
From: just past the moons of Jupiter
Posts: 2,234

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aufgeblassen View Post
The big difference was they used heavy duty main bearings in the diesels. Had they not, engines would have failed in short order.
The compression ratios are much higherin a diesel. They are compression ignition instead of electric ignition. So yes thrust bearings have to be tougher crank shafts have tobe thicker and there have to be thicker piston rings to minimize blow by. So change a handful of parts including the head gaskets and valves you can make a gasoline engine, a diesel engine. Provided the cylinder block isn't aluminium.
Polydectes is offline  
Old April 10th, 2014, 06:42 AM   #15
myp
Founding Father
 
myp's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2009
From: us
Posts: 5,907

Forget both, go electric for the future! Tesla.
Thanks from David and arcturus88
myp is offline  
Old April 10th, 2014, 08:34 AM   #16
Governor
 
Polydectes's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2013
From: just past the moons of Jupiter
Posts: 2,234

Quote:
Originally Posted by myp View Post
Forget both, go electric for the future! Tesla.
Electric is the past. They feel out of favor for limited battery life high cost of operation and long charge times.

I see fuel electrics being the future
Polydectes is offline  
Old April 10th, 2014, 08:48 AM   #17
Vice President
 
David's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2009
From: Opa Locka
Posts: 6,118

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polydectes View Post
Electric is the past. They feel out of favor for limited battery life high cost of operation and long charge times.

I see fuel electrics being the future
Things have changed.
David is offline  
Old April 10th, 2014, 08:59 AM   #18
Governor
 
Polydectes's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2013
From: just past the moons of Jupiter
Posts: 2,234

Quote:
Originally Posted by David View Post
Things have changed.
Not really. Battery chemistry perhaps. The charge time it's whatis sealing it's coffin.
Polydectes is offline  
Old April 10th, 2014, 09:04 AM   #19
President
 
Aufgeblassen's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2013
From: Central FL
Posts: 11,619

The ULTIMATE would truly be the diesel electric hybrid. Diesels especially run extra super efficient running at one tuned optimal RPM.
Aufgeblassen is offline  
Old April 10th, 2014, 09:42 AM   #20
Vice President
 
David's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2009
From: Opa Locka
Posts: 6,118

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polydectes View Post
Not really. Battery chemistry perhaps. The charge time it's whatis sealing it's coffin.
With the right charger, you could power a battery in 30 minuets.
David is offline  
Reply

  Political Fray > The Political Fray > Economics

Tags
diesels , forget , hybrids , viable



Thread Tools
Display Modes



Facebook Twitter RSS Feed



Copyright © 2009-2013 Political Fray. All rights reserved.