The Political Fray - Political Forum
Go Back   Political Fray > The Political Fray > Government and Politics

Government and Politics Government and Politics Forum including laws, elections, government structure, and political theory


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old December 29th, 2009, 12:31 PM   #1
Representative
 
ArghMonkey's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2009
From: Vancouver
Posts: 128

U.S. Military Soldiers Are Waking Up!

BORKED

Too obvious, too true, sad more americans refuse to wake up ...
ArghMonkey is offline  
Old December 29th, 2009, 12:41 PM   #2
Congressional Leader
 
DodgeFB's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2009
From: Undisclosed
Posts: 2,751

Sad that he was ever in the military. He should have never joined. I don't know what he thought soldiers do. He seems better suited to be a "scoutmaster" than a soldier. But that is just my opinion.
DodgeFB is offline  
Old December 29th, 2009, 05:51 PM   #3
Vice President
 
David's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2009
From: Opa Locka
Posts: 5,661

Quote:
Originally Posted by DodgeFB View Post
Sad that he was ever in the military. He should have never joined. I don't know what he thought soldiers do. He seems better suited to be a "scoutmaster" than a soldier. But that is just my opinion.
So an apologetic solder shouldn't be in the military? By his own admission, he arrested, evicted, killed and otherwise followed his orders, not what I'd call a bad solder.

Now some Hippy that frags their CO, that's someone who shouldn't be in the military.
David is offline  
Old December 29th, 2009, 10:40 PM   #4
Representative
 
ArghMonkey's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2009
From: Vancouver
Posts: 128

Apparently you have to kill innocent people and be either indifferent to it or LIKE it to be a "good"soldier ...
ArghMonkey is offline  
Old December 29th, 2009, 10:42 PM   #5
Vice President
 
David's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2009
From: Opa Locka
Posts: 5,661

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArghMonkey View Post
Apparently you have to kill innocent people and be either indifferent to it or LIKE it to be a "good"soldier ...
A good solder is anyone who follows a legal order.

War, it's a dirty job but someone needs to do it.
David is offline  
Old December 30th, 2009, 05:18 AM   #6
Congressional Leader
 
DodgeFB's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2009
From: Undisclosed
Posts: 2,751

Quote:
Originally Posted by David View Post
So an apologetic solder shouldn't be in the military? By his own admission, he arrested, evicted, killed and otherwise followed his orders, not what I'd call a bad solder.

Now some Hippy that frags their CO, that's someone who shouldn't be in the military.
I just think it was bad for him and his little speech was not helpful to the military. And those still in combat sure did not need to hear his down in the mouth rant. So in my opinion he would have been a "better soldier" to have not made the speech while they are still fighting. But he got his 15 minutes in the "spotlight" which is what he wanted.
DodgeFB is offline  
Old December 30th, 2009, 05:41 AM   #7
Representative
 
porsteamboy's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2009
From: Philadelphia
Posts: 181

He did his job while in the military and followed orders, he didn' have to like it. Now that he is out he has every right to talk against the war, more so than anyone who has never been there.
porsteamboy is offline  
Old December 30th, 2009, 05:42 AM   #8
Vice President
 
David's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2009
From: Opa Locka
Posts: 5,661

Quote:
Originally Posted by DodgeFB View Post
I just think it was bad for him and his little speech was not helpful to the military. And those still in combat sure did not need to hear his down in the mouth rant. So in my opinion he would have been a "better soldier" to have not made the speech while they are still fighting. But he got his 15 minutes in the "spotlight" which is what he wanted.
Agreed. What some (including this solder) seem to not realize is once you join the military, you become property of the state, subject to it's every whim.

Slavery? Maybe but it's slavery that everyone volunteered for.
David is offline  
Old December 30th, 2009, 03:15 PM   #9
Anarchist
 
Dirk's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2009
From: Disunited Queendom
Posts: 1,943

A "good soldier" is a mindless drone that never questions authority.
Dirk is offline  
Old December 30th, 2009, 05:00 PM   #10
Representative
 
ArghMonkey's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2009
From: Vancouver
Posts: 128

Quote:
Originally Posted by David View Post
A good solder is anyone who follows a legal order.

War, it's a dirty job but someone needs to do it.
Someone needed to invade iraq?

Besides the fact that you shrugged off mass murder of innocent people as "a dirty job" I think ur in agreement, a good soldier is either indifferent or enjoys killing people, that or hate it but feel no power over themselves to, at least, stop their own actions ...

Murdering people should take some serious thought, if they are against it they should stop what they are doing, if they are indifferent or enjoy murdering people then they would be a good soldier.
ArghMonkey is offline  
Old December 30th, 2009, 05:05 PM   #11
Representative
 
ArghMonkey's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2009
From: Vancouver
Posts: 128

Quote:
Originally Posted by David View Post
Agreed. What some (including this solder) seem to not realize is once you join the military, you become property of the state, subject to it's every whim.

Slavery? Maybe but it's slavery that everyone volunteered for.
So if someone voluntarily makes a mistake they deserve punishment?

So a poor, half wit, decides to join the military because he needs money for school, is trained to kill, then sent into iraq (as an example) then is ordered to shoot innocent men, woman and children and if they decide they hate the reality of war, your response is "too bad, you signed up" *L*

I think your approach to the subject is too superficial.
ArghMonkey is offline  
Old December 30th, 2009, 05:15 PM   #12
Anarchist
 
Dirk's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2009
From: Disunited Queendom
Posts: 1,943

The army isn't voluntary. A volunteer has the choice to withdraw from the organisation they volunteered for. The army is indefinite servitude, whether or not you change your mind.
Dirk is offline  
Old December 31st, 2009, 04:01 AM   #13
Congressional Leader
 
DodgeFB's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2009
From: Undisclosed
Posts: 2,751

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirk View Post
The army isn't voluntary. A volunteer has the choice to withdraw from the organisation they volunteered for. The army is indefinite servitude, whether or not you change your mind.
Yes, but they know that when they "volunteer". "Back in my day" I remember getting my "draft" cards. I had mixed feelings when I went from 3A to 1A. Some joined when they got the 1A hoping to get a "better deal". I flunked the physical, but I was ready to go. I would go today if they would let me. But I was in much better shape then than now.
DodgeFB is offline  
Old January 1st, 2010, 08:57 AM   #14
Vice President
 
David's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2009
From: Opa Locka
Posts: 5,661

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArghMonkey View Post
So if someone voluntarily makes a mistake they deserve punishment?

So a poor, half wit, decides to join the military because he needs money for school, is trained to kill, then sent into iraq (as an example) then is ordered to shoot innocent men, woman and children and if they decide they hate the reality of war, your response is "too bad, you signed up" *L*

I think your approach to the subject is too superficial.
An order to shoot innocent civilians is illegal. A solder is obligated by law to refuse the order and report it. A solder is also supposed to shoot at anyone pointing a gun at them, regardless of wether or not they appear to be civilian.
David is offline  
Old January 1st, 2010, 10:29 AM   #15
Representative
 
ArghMonkey's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2009
From: Vancouver
Posts: 128

Quote:
Originally Posted by David View Post
An order to shoot innocent civilians is illegal. A solder is obligated by law to refuse the order and report it. A solder is also supposed to shoot at anyone pointing a gun at them, regardless of wether or not they appear to be civilian.
Again, your thinking of this superficially ...

If you think the tens of thousands of INNOCENT iraqis that have been killed NEEDED to be killed, then I think your really deluding yourself.

Iraqis have been shot for much less then pointing a gun and you know that.
ArghMonkey is offline  
Old January 1st, 2010, 05:29 PM   #16
Vice President
 
David's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2009
From: Opa Locka
Posts: 5,661

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArghMonkey View Post
Again, your thinking of this superficially ...

If you think the tens of thousands of INNOCENT iraqis that have been killed NEEDED to be killed, then I think your really deluding yourself.

Iraqis have been shot for much less then pointing a gun and you know that.
And I'm not calling such people good solders. But this guy was just playing the part of the occupier (while occupying a country), the fact that he did this despite not liking it, while cause for questioning his integrity, doesn't make him a bad solder.

Do I like our military doing what it does? No. Does it ned to be done? Yes. Solders do what must be done, even if it's ugly.
David is offline  
Old January 1st, 2010, 08:44 PM   #17
Representative
 
ArghMonkey's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2009
From: Vancouver
Posts: 128

Quote:
Originally Posted by David View Post
And I'm not calling such people good solders. But this guy was just playing the part of the occupier (while occupying a country), the fact that he did this despite not liking it, while cause for questioning his integrity, doesn't make him a bad solder.

Do I like our military doing what it does? No. Does it ned to be done? Yes. Solders do what must be done, even if it's ugly.
Yes you are calling such people good soldiers *L* if you cant understand that then you need to take a close look.

The military does not need to kill tens of thousands of innocent iraqis *L* btw if the military was doing what needed to be done then you should like it, if u dont like it and think its the right thing to do that makes no bloody sense.

I dont think you have thought about any of this very much at all, call me the bad guy for saying it but your posts show no insight at all and just puke back silly rhetoric and even more glaring flaws in logic (you dont like what the military does but think its doing the right thing, that makes ZERO sense).
ArghMonkey is offline  
Old January 1st, 2010, 08:49 PM   #18
Vice President
 
David's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2009
From: Opa Locka
Posts: 5,661

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArghMonkey View Post
Yes you are calling such people good soldiers *L* if you cant understand that then you need to take a close look.

The military does not need to kill tens of thousands of innocent iraqis *L* btw if the military was doing what needed to be done then you should like it, if u dont like it and think its the right thing to do that makes no bloody sense.

I dont think you have thought about any of this very much at all, call me the bad guy for saying it but your posts show no insight at all and just puke back silly rhetoric and even more glaring flaws in logic (you dont agree with the military but think its doing the right thing, that makes ZERO sense).
I do agree with the military. Im as pro-military as they come. Doesn't mean I'm oblivious to the fact that war is a dirty job.

You seem to be making the false connection that since I recognize war to be a bloody mess, that I think it's a bad thing. If a solder is ordered to evict some civilian whose house is in the way of a new military base and the solder dose it, it sucks but it's needed. If a solder is ordered to shoot a civilian to make an example, that's something even the military brass says is wrong and should be refused.

The solder in the OP is a good, if demoralized, solder.
David is offline  
Old January 2nd, 2010, 03:23 AM   #19
Intern
 
Joined: Dec 2009
Posts: 20

"The real terrorist is me." Such a bold statement, yet so true.
Nearly is offline  
Old January 2nd, 2010, 10:36 AM   #20
Intern
 
Joined: Jan 2010
Posts: 34

If I could pass the physical, I personally would be a member of the armed forces because no matter how ridiculous I think some of the policies are that the US follows, I still stand behind my country as a patriotic American.
Computer_Head is offline  
Reply

  Political Fray > The Political Fray > Government and Politics

Tags
military , soldiers , waking



Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Chinese military rapidly expanding capabilities Patrick Government and Politics 0 August 24th, 2011 07:16 PM
Democrat Jim Moran says US military cannot win the war in Afghanistan cartouch100 Current Events 8 December 14th, 2010 02:19 PM
TWA Flight 800 Shot Down by Military Missile? deanhills Conspiracy Theories 24 July 30th, 2010 08:53 PM
Military Budget Dirk Government and Politics 9 November 5th, 2009 01:50 PM
1st 2 US military personnel KIA in the 'Forgotten War'. David Current Events 6 October 19th, 2009 06:41 AM


Facebook Twitter RSS Feed



Copyright © 2009-2013 Political Fray. All rights reserved.