Political Fray

Political Fray (http://politicalfray.com/forum.php)
-   Government and Politics (http://politicalfray.com/government-politics/)
-   -   what kind of dictator are you? (http://politicalfray.com/government-politics/4138-what-kind-dictator-you.html)

arcturus88 October 7th, 2013 06:19 PM

what kind of dictator are you?
 
Well, thats it.

If you woke up tomorrow and you were dictator of the world, what would you do? its a wide open topic. please discuss, what would you initiate, what would you end. what law would you nix, what law would you start? where would your capitol be located? etc., etc...

David October 7th, 2013 07:14 PM

I'd be pretty authoritarian in the short term.
I'd initiate purges of subversives in the gov't and military (I'd leave dissenters alone, I don't mind people disagreeing with me so long as they don't actively try to bring down the state).
I'd buy up key businesses in all major infrastructural industries (utilities, transit, communications, etc.) and replace the management with handpicked people. These businesses would be run on a for profit basis and managed independently of the gov't (my initial take over aside) with the profits being pocketed by my gov't. The income gained from this would serve as a tax replacement and so I'd lower taxes as appropriate. I'd create strong pro-labor laws targeting workers directly as opposed to their unions while weakening the power of public sector unions (but not actually busting them).
I'd create tax breaks for businesses that demonstrated pro-labor sentiments beyond what would be required by law (think Costco) with even more generous breaks for companies in which a controlling stake was owned by the workers (whether directly or via union).
I'd break up the mega banks and place the Federal Reserve under the control of a 5 member committee, 2 appointed by me, 2 appointed by the bank itself and 1 popularly elected. Each appointee will be placed for review and replaced as needed every 2 years and the elected member will face reelection every 6 years. This committee would be subjected to my direct oversight and would be required to issue a public summery of it's actions each fiscal quarter so as to keep the public aware of it's dealings.

Once these reforms were fully implemented and my power base was secure, I'd proclaim myself Emperor (an attempt at legitimacy by making myself a monarch rather then a dictator) and call for a constitutional convention so as to restore a voice to the people. Essentially I'd be a pro-socialism monarch. Initially brutal and moderating as my situation stabilized.

If you're pro-liberal democracy and ever see me on a ballot, don't vote for me. lol

tecoyah October 8th, 2013 01:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by David (Post 46060)
I'd be pretty authoritarian in the short term.
I'd initiate purges of subversives in the gov't and military (I'd leave dissenters alone, I don't mind people disagreeing with me so long as they don't actively try to bring down the state).
I'd buy up key businesses in all major infrastructural industries (utilities, transit, communications, etc.) and replace the management with handpicked people. These businesses would be run on a for profit basis and managed independently of the gov't (my initial take over aside) with the profits being pocketed by my gov't. The income gained from this would serve as a tax replacement and so I'd lower taxes as appropriate. I'd create strong pro-labor laws targeting workers directly as opposed to their unions while weakening the power of public sector unions (but not actually busting them).
I'd create tax breaks for businesses that demonstrated pro-labor sentiments beyond what would be required by law (think Costco) with even more generous breaks for companies in which a controlling stake was owned by the workers (whether directly or via union).
I'd break up the mega banks and place the Federal Reserve under the control of a 5 member committee, 2 appointed by me, 2 appointed by the bank itself and 1 popularly elected. Each appointee will be placed for review and replaced as needed every 2 years and the elected member will face reelection every 6 years. This committee would be subjected to my direct oversight and would be required to issue a public summery of it's actions each fiscal quarter so as to keep the public aware of it's dealings.

Once these reforms were fully implemented and my power base was secure, I'd proclaim myself Emperor (an attempt at legitimacy by making myself a monarch rather then a dictator) and call for a constitutional convention so as to restore a voice to the people. Essentially I'd be a pro-socialism monarch. Initially brutal and moderating as my situation stabilized.

If you're pro-liberal democracy and ever see me on a ballot, don't vote for me. lol

I'd vote for ya'.......

arcturus88 October 9th, 2013 06:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by David (Post 46060)
I'd be pretty authoritarian in the short term.
I'd initiate purges of subversives in the gov't and military (I'd leave dissenters alone, I don't mind people disagreeing with me so long as they don't actively try to bring down the state).
I'd buy up key businesses in all major infrastructural industries (utilities, transit, communications, etc.) and replace the management with handpicked people. These businesses would be run on a for profit basis and managed independently of the gov't (my initial take over aside) with the profits being pocketed by my gov't. The income gained from this would serve as a tax replacement and so I'd lower taxes as appropriate. I'd create strong pro-labor laws targeting workers directly as opposed to their unions while weakening the power of public sector unions (but not actually busting them).
I'd create tax breaks for businesses that demonstrated pro-labor sentiments beyond what would be required by law (think Costco) with even more generous breaks for companies in which a controlling stake was owned by the workers (whether directly or via union).
I'd break up the mega banks and place the Federal Reserve under the control of a 5 member committee, 2 appointed by me, 2 appointed by the bank itself and 1 popularly elected. Each appointee will be placed for review and replaced as needed every 2 years and the elected member will face reelection every 6 years. This committee would be subjected to my direct oversight and would be required to issue a public summery of it's actions each fiscal quarter so as to keep the public aware of it's dealings.

Once these reforms were fully implemented and my power base was secure, I'd proclaim myself Emperor (an attempt at legitimacy by making myself a monarch rather then a dictator) and call for a constitutional convention so as to restore a voice to the people. Essentially I'd be a pro-socialism monarch. Initially brutal and moderating as my situation stabilized.

If you're pro-liberal democracy and ever see me on a ballot, don't vote for me. lol


Nice, well thought out...actually scary how well thought out.

any specific laws you would change or do away with ?

arcturus88 October 9th, 2013 06:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aufgeblassen (Post 46082)
I would make poor urinal design a capital offense. Anyone who designs a urinal that you cannot pee in without getting splashed - off with their heads! :mad:

Yes!! yes! thats it,...what else would you do?

David October 9th, 2013 06:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by arcturus88 (Post 46094)
Nice, well thought out...actually scary how well thought out.

any specific laws you would change or do away with ?

What can I say, I've been planing or world domination for years... :p I'm almost hoping this country falls apart so I have an excuse to actually make good on my plans.

David October 10th, 2013 12:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aufgeblassen (Post 46099)
LOL!!! Because as of today, your plans would be a huge mistake!

Agreed. As of this vary moment the economy is growing, people are rich (relative to the world) and society is stable (without a working gov't no less). Honestly, political stability is the only motivation and I'd have better luck running for elected office then trying to just take over. Not to compare my ideology to the idiot, but just look at Hitler's experience. I'd rather skip the jail time and charges of treason on my march to wold domination, thanks. :p

arcturus88 October 15th, 2013 12:53 PM

Some of the changes I would make as dictator:

death penalty for terrorists, child molesters, and human traffickers.

Lawyers get one and only one chance to appeal.

drug addicts will be given a chance to reform by being placed in a prison environment with ready access to their drug of choice. if they overdose, then they were not able to reform.

deadbeat, abusive and or drug using parents will have their children removed, never to be returned. They will have a chance to be adopted in a state-run adoption program, placing kids with loving parents. failing this they will be put into a state run orphanage with loving caretakers.

three strikes and youre out means 3 felonies = death penalty.

if you are in jail, you will get no TV and you will work to earn your keep.

auto makers have 3 years to produce clean-running, high MPG vehicles (80mpg or higher). 98% of their vehicles must fall into this catagory.

whale ships will be shot out of the water by military jets.

socialized pay for players of professional sports; they will be required to make less pay than teachers.

oh and very important; white powdered wigs for myself and all council members and advisors beneath me.:giggle:


to be continued...

William October 16th, 2013 06:21 AM

I'd be a behind the scenes kind of dictator. I'd probably arrange for someone like David to do all of the heavy lifting and then once the work is done and the heat is off and everything is hunky-dory I'd arrange for his retirement :)

Iolo October 16th, 2013 08:28 AM

I'd make all the fundamentalists take a lie-detector test, then resign.

arcturus88 October 16th, 2013 07:21 PM

I feel as though you are thinking too small here. you are dictator of the world for pity sake.

why not decree that once a company establishes a price per container they must keep the same size unless they submit an official request to one of your council members?

:o:ojust curious:o:o

arcturus88 October 16th, 2013 07:24 PM

arcturus88 as dictator decree #435

vanity tags will no longer be made. you get a random set of numbers and letter like everyone else. vanity is a sin afterall.

arcturus88 October 17th, 2013 10:58 AM

arcturus88 as dictator decree #132


There will be a tax credit will be for couples who have one child.

There will be no tax credits or tax increase for couples who have two children.

There will be an incremental tax increase for couples who have three or more children.

Single parents will have no tax credit and will be incrementally taxed for each child beginning with their first child.

David October 17th, 2013 11:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by William (Post 46169)
I'd be a behind the scenes kind of dictator. I'd probably arrange for someone like David to do all of the heavy lifting and then once the work is done and the heat is off and everything is hunky-dory I'd arrange for his retirement :)

Note to self: William is the 1st to go in my purges.

arcturus88 October 17th, 2013 01:46 PM

two gets no penalty and no reward.

arcturus88 October 17th, 2013 09:39 PM

arcturus88 as dictator decree #18

all will serve the state in some capacity for a period of 2 years.

examples of service to the state: military, community, natural disaster relief.

arcturus88 June 4th, 2014 03:07 PM

any future dictators have thoughts on how you'd deal with the homeless problem?


:unsure:

arcturus88 June 4th, 2014 04:02 PM

ok that was kind of funny.

tecoyah June 4th, 2014 04:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by arcturus88 (Post 50860)
any future dictators have thoughts on how you'd deal with the homeless problem?


:unsure:

Public works projects paid with food.....preferably Soylent Green:mad:

David June 5th, 2014 08:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by arcturus88 (Post 50860)
any future dictators have thoughts on how you'd deal with the homeless problem?


:unsure:

I'd use them as free labor (basically slaves but voluntary) to deal with things like maintaining gov property and building/fixing infrastructure. In return I'd feed them (from farms I'd be having convict slaves working) and put them in homes their compatriots built. This voluntary slavery deal would also be offered to the unemployed.


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 05:07 PM.


Copyright © 2009-2013 Political Fray. All rights reserved.