The Political Fray - Political Forum
Go Back   Political Fray > The Political Fray > Government and Politics

Government and Politics Government and Politics Forum including laws, elections, government structure, and political theory


Thanks Tree6Thanks
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old February 16th, 2017, 05:38 PM   #1
Senator
 
numan's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2016
From: Victoria, BC
Posts: 971

Sensible Talk about Gerrymandering

'
The subject is gerrymandering, the host is Der Governator.

I never thought I would cheer a REPUBLICAN in 2017, but CONAN THE REPUBLICAN has matured into a VERY SMART GUY.

Thank you, Arnold Schwarzenegger.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YG91l2g6kHk
.
Thanks from tecoyah
numan is offline  
Old February 18th, 2017, 03:20 PM   #2
President
 
Aufgeblassen's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2013
From: Central FL
Posts: 11,029

Aufgeblassen is offline  
Old February 19th, 2017, 01:43 AM   #3
Secretary of State
 
tecoyah's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2012
From: Louisville, Ky
Posts: 4,676

Gerrymandering is the reason Trump is our President and won the electoral college while losing the popular vote. It has become a means of legal cheating to corrupt elections.
Thanks from numan
tecoyah is offline  
Old February 19th, 2017, 05:02 AM   #4
President
 
Aufgeblassen's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2013
From: Central FL
Posts: 11,029

Quote:
Originally Posted by tecoyah View Post
Gerrymandering is the reason Trump is our President and won the electoral college while losing the popular vote. It has become a means of legal cheating to corrupt elections.
Hogwash. It ONLY helps local elections. When one wins a State, it does not matter how many or how few actual precincts were won. In States the win is INDEED the popular vote of the State. States are NOT won electorally like national elections. All one needs to win a State is the MOST votes of all the candidates.

Last edited by Aufgeblassen; February 19th, 2017 at 05:06 AM.
Aufgeblassen is offline  
Old February 19th, 2017, 05:16 AM   #5
Secretary of State
 
tecoyah's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2012
From: Louisville, Ky
Posts: 4,676

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aufgeblassen View Post
Hogwash. It ONLY helps local elections. When one wins a State, it does not matter how many or how few actual precincts were won. In States the win is INDEED the popular vote of the State. States are NOT won electorally like national elections. All one needs to win a State is the MOST votes of all the candidates.
Your understanding of both the electoral college system and the ways in which voting districts function are lacking. This is unfortunate but not unexpected.
Thanks from numan
tecoyah is offline  
Old February 19th, 2017, 05:38 AM   #6
President
 
Aufgeblassen's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2013
From: Central FL
Posts: 11,029

Quote:
Originally Posted by tecoyah View Post
Your understanding of both the electoral college system and the ways in which voting districts function are lacking. This is unfortunate but not unexpected.
Yours is - SERIOUSLY!!!


Winning Districts is relevant ONLY within State elections!!! It does not matter where you win in a State in a Presidential election, only HOW MUCH. All that is needed it to secure the MOST votes of any candidate. Why is this so hard to understand?
Aufgeblassen is offline  
Old February 19th, 2017, 06:55 AM   #7
Secretary of State
 
tecoyah's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2012
From: Louisville, Ky
Posts: 4,676

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aufgeblassen View Post
Yours is - SERIOUSLY!!!


Winning Districts is relevant ONLY within State elections!!! It does not matter where you win in a State in a Presidential election, only HOW MUCH. All that is needed it to secure the MOST votes of any candidate. Why is this so hard to understand?
I do not intend to school you on electoral politics as it would not penetrate the cloud within your mind...Instead I will only point out that state elections ARE the electoral college and gerrymandering is the reason they have failed the fairness test.

Have A Nice Day
tecoyah is offline  
Old February 19th, 2017, 08:34 AM   #8
President
 
Aufgeblassen's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2013
From: Central FL
Posts: 11,029

Quote:
Originally Posted by tecoyah View Post
I do not intend to school you on electoral politics as it would not penetrate the cloud within your mind...Instead I will only point out that state elections ARE the electoral college and gerrymandering is the reason they have failed the fairness test.

Have A Nice Day
In one ear & out the other. Oh, well, I tried.
Aufgeblassen is offline  
Old February 19th, 2017, 08:38 AM   #9
President
 
Aufgeblassen's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2013
From: Central FL
Posts: 11,029

Changed my mind. I did NOT give up!

Here goes:

"At the national level, gerrymandering only directly effects the House of Representatives".

In other words, NOT THE PRESIDENTIAL ELECTION.

https://www.quora.com/What-is-gerrym...tial-elections
Aufgeblassen is offline  
Old February 19th, 2017, 09:25 AM   #10
Secretary of State
 
tecoyah's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2012
From: Louisville, Ky
Posts: 4,676

If a states districts are manipulated to create an advantage for one party at the cost of another it effects every single aspect of the political power and thus position of said state. For this reason regional elections as well as national show the results. It will be only at a very local level unaffected by the tactic that the voice of all citizens can be felt.
Thanks from numan
tecoyah is offline  
Old February 19th, 2017, 09:29 AM   #11
President
 
Aufgeblassen's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2013
From: Central FL
Posts: 11,029

Quote:
Originally Posted by tecoyah View Post
If a states districts are manipulated to create an advantage for one party at the cost of another it effects every single aspect of the political power and thus position of said state. For this reason regional elections as well as national show the results. It will be only at a very local level unaffected by the tactic that the voice of all citizens can be felt.
But BOTH sides do it (nearly equally I might add), so it all cancels out. So in effect, really a non-issue.

What are "regional" elections???

Last edited by Aufgeblassen; February 19th, 2017 at 09:34 AM.
Aufgeblassen is offline  
Old February 19th, 2017, 09:35 AM   #12
Vice President
 
David's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2009
From: Opa Locka
Posts: 6,071

Its also worth noting that it can demoralize voters. You'll get fewer Dem votes in Texas and Repub in California because each state is so Red and Blue the other side (correctly) feels that their vote outside local elections is a wast. The reality is that Texas is Bluer than New York and California Redder than Kansas but the districts are so gerrymandered that they paint the whole state a single color. Without gerrymandering elections would be competitive and minority (political speaking) voters would feel enfranchised.
Thanks from numan
David is online now  
Old February 19th, 2017, 09:40 AM   #13
President
 
Aufgeblassen's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2013
From: Central FL
Posts: 11,029

Quote:
Originally Posted by David View Post
Its also worth noting that it can demoralize voters. You'll get fewer Dem votes in Texas and Repub in California because each state is so Red and Blue the other side (correctly) feels that their vote outside local elections is a wast. The reality is that Texas is Bluer than New York and California Redder than Kansas but the districts are so gerrymandered that they paint the whole state a single color. Without gerrymandering elections would be competitive and minority (political speaking) voters would feel enfranchised.
LOL!!! The parties do not cause a State to be red or Blue, the VOTERS (the ones that actually go to the voting booths there) do!
Aufgeblassen is offline  
Old February 19th, 2017, 10:17 AM   #14
Secretary of State
 
tecoyah's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2012
From: Louisville, Ky
Posts: 4,676

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aufgeblassen View Post

What are "regional" elections???
Nevermind little Augie....schools out


There's a nice hat for you on the corner stool.
tecoyah is offline  
Old February 19th, 2017, 01:04 PM   #15
Senator
 
numan's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2016
From: Victoria, BC
Posts: 971

'
It's obvious that Little Augie didn't watch the Governator clip --- or at least didn't comprehend what he said!

He'll never graduate unless he masters the lesson!
.
numan is offline  
Old February 19th, 2017, 01:24 PM   #16
Vice President
 
David's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2009
From: Opa Locka
Posts: 6,071

Quote:
Originally Posted by numan View Post
'
It's obvious that Little Augie didn't watch the Governator clip --- or at least didn't comprehend what he said!

He'll never graduate unless he masters the lesson!
.
I gave up on the flipflopping fool long ago.
David is online now  
Old February 19th, 2017, 01:55 PM   #17
President
 
Aufgeblassen's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2013
From: Central FL
Posts: 11,029

Quote:
Originally Posted by numan View Post
'
It's obvious that Little Augie didn't watch the Governator clip --- or at least didn't comprehend what he said!

He'll never graduate unless he masters the lesson!
.
He was talking LOCAL effect, not NATIONAL! - hello?
Aufgeblassen is offline  
Old February 19th, 2017, 02:28 PM   #18
Secretary of State
 
tecoyah's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2012
From: Louisville, Ky
Posts: 4,676

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aufgeblassen View Post
He was talking LOCAL effect, not NATIONAL! - hello?
As it seems you forgot what I typed, I will remind you.

Quote:
If a states districts are manipulated to create an advantage for one party at the cost of another it effects every single aspect of the political power and thus position of said state. For this reason regional elections as well as national show the results. It will be only at a very local level unaffected by the tactic that the voice of all citizens can be felt.
You might want to ignore the Trump tactic of telling falsehoods when truth is easily presented to oppose it.
tecoyah is offline  
Old February 19th, 2017, 03:00 PM   #19
President
 
Aufgeblassen's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2013
From: Central FL
Posts: 11,029

Quote:
Originally Posted by tecoyah View Post
As it seems you forgot what I typed, I will remind you.



You might want to ignore the Trump tactic of telling falsehoods when truth is easily presented to oppose it.
You still have not explained what non-existent "regional" elections are!
Aufgeblassen is offline  
Old February 19th, 2017, 03:37 PM   #20
Secretary of State
 
tecoyah's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2012
From: Louisville, Ky
Posts: 4,676

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aufgeblassen View Post
You still have not explained what non-existent "regional" elections are!
I suppose it might be possible you have never heard of such things as a Mayor, council persons, legislators, clerks....dog catchers....etc...

But more likely you are again deflecting from the discussion to attempt avoidance of looking foolish.....too late.
tecoyah is offline  
Reply

  Political Fray > The Political Fray > Government and Politics

Tags
gerrymandering , talk



Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
El Rushbo and TALK RADIO! falcondule Political Humor 1 August 6th, 2013 03:22 PM
So You Want To Talk RACE RELATIONS, huh ? OK. Protectionist Current Events 2 July 27th, 2013 05:39 PM
Kipping Violent Talk on the Left DodgeFB Government and Politics 0 September 7th, 2011 07:06 AM
TED talk: Dan Ariely on irrational cognitive decisions myp Economics 1 July 30th, 2011 12:57 PM


Facebook Twitter RSS Feed



Copyright © 2009-2013 Political Fray. All rights reserved.