The Political Fray - Political Forum
Go Back   Political Fray > The Political Fray > Government and Politics

Government and Politics Government and Politics Forum including laws, elections, government structure, and political theory


Thanks Tree6Thanks
  • 1 Post By tecoyah
  • 1 Post By Fitz
  • 1 Post By Fitz
  • 1 Post By Fitz
  • 2 Post By David
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old October 8th, 2017, 12:45 PM   #1
Secretary of State
 
tecoyah's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2012
From: Louisville, Ky
Posts: 3,584

Merkel offers to fix NK crisis.

BERLIN German Chancellor Angela Merkel told a newspaper she would be prepared to become involved in a diplomatic initiative to end the North Korean nuclear and missiles program, and suggested the Iran nuclear talks could be a model.

South Korea on Saturday braced for a possible further missile test by North Korea as it marked its founding anniversary, just days after its sixth and largest nuclear test rattled global financial markets and further escalated tensions in the region.

"If our participation in talks is desired, I will immediately say yes," Merkel told Frankfurter Allgemeine Sonntagszeitung in an interview to be published on Sunday.

She pointed to negotiations that led to a landmark nuclear agreement between Iran and world powers in 2015. Back then, Germany and the five countries on the United Nations Security Council with veto power took part in talks that led to Iran agreeing to curb its nuclear work in return for the lifting of most sanctions.

Merkel said that was "a long but important time of diplomacy" that ultimately had a "good end" last year, referring to when the deal was implemented.

https://www.nytimes.com/reuters/201....y.html?mcubz=0

Beats the hell outa tweeting threats and insults.
Thanks from numan
tecoyah is offline  
Old October 10th, 2017, 06:06 AM   #2
Representative
 
Fitz's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2017
From: Medway Towns, Kent
Posts: 239

The link to the article is not working??
Anyway I think this is a response to the total inability of the US to provide a coherent policy towards NK/CHina? I think Europe/Germany is going in its own direction in an attempt to bridge the gulf between diplomatic dialogue and twitter. The insane blustering has now exceed the ability of the rabbit hole to take anymore fantasy.
Same with Iran
Thanks from tecoyah
Fitz is offline  
Old October 10th, 2017, 06:30 AM   #3
Secretary of State
 
tecoyah's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2012
From: Louisville, Ky
Posts: 3,584

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitz View Post
The link to the article is not working??
Anyway I think this is a response to the total inability of the US to provide a coherent policy towards NK/CHina? I think Europe/Germany is going in its own direction in an attempt to bridge the gulf between diplomatic dialogue and twitter. The insane blustering has now exceed the ability of the rabbit hole to take anymore fantasy.
Same with Iran
I agree....it also seems as if Merkel has created a new "Leader of the Free World" in the vacuum Trump has left by destroying our international respect and policy direction. The Presidency of the United States has become something of a joke anymore and the "Leader" mostly ignored.
tecoyah is offline  
Old October 10th, 2017, 07:38 AM   #4
Representative
 
Fitz's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2017
From: Medway Towns, Kent
Posts: 239

Quote:
Originally Posted by tecoyah View Post
I agree....it also seems as if Merkel has created a new "Leader of the Free World" in the vacuum Trump has left by destroying our international respect and policy direction. The Presidency of the United States has become something of a joke anymore and the "Leader" mostly ignored.
I'm speculating but I imagine Merkel will be making an approach on the basis of a pan-european initiative following discussions with european leaders. The EU itself would not make a direct diplomatic approach.
The vacuum has existed for a while since Tillerson had his legs chopped off and there is no lead US diplomatic head in S. Korea.
The leader of the free world thing is viewed as rather tongue in cheek.
Thanks from tecoyah
Fitz is offline  
Old October 10th, 2017, 07:45 AM   #5
Secretary of State
 
tecoyah's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2012
From: Louisville, Ky
Posts: 3,584

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitz View Post
I'm speculating but I imagine Merkel will be making an approach on the basis of a pan-european initiative following discussions with european leaders. The EU itself would not make a direct diplomatic approach.
The vacuum has existed for a while since Tillerson had his legs chopped off and there is no lead US diplomatic head in S. Korea.
The leader of the free world thing is viewed as rather tongue in cheek.
This saddens me, as it did not used to be that way. Perhaps angers is a better term.
tecoyah is offline  
Old October 10th, 2017, 08:01 AM   #6
Representative
 
Fitz's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2017
From: Medway Towns, Kent
Posts: 239

Quote:
Originally Posted by tecoyah View Post
This saddens me, as it did not used to be that way. Perhaps angers is a better term.
Its weird but we deal with quite a few Americans here and when the lunchtime discussions turn to politics and the name Trump comes up, to a man/woman they give an embarrased laugh, shake their heads and almost appologies for being American!
Fitz is offline  
Old October 10th, 2017, 08:13 AM   #7
Vice President
 
David's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2009
From: Opa Locka
Posts: 5,573

This is crazy. Someone that grew up behind the iron curtain from Berlin who's title is Chancellor of the 4th Reich is a beacon of freedom as Germany unites the Western Democracies against the insidious rise of fascism coming out of America and Russia (the latter the more bizarre of the 2 considering the Soviet Union).

Whoever ****ed with time better fix this. It's not worth winning a supper bowl bet!
David is offline  
Old October 10th, 2017, 08:16 AM   #8
Representative
 
Fitz's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2017
From: Medway Towns, Kent
Posts: 239

Quote:
Originally Posted by David View Post
This is crazy.
Well someone has to do it and like it or not the Germans get respect around the world!
Thanks from tecoyah
Fitz is offline  
Old October 10th, 2017, 08:19 AM   #9
Vice President
 
David's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2009
From: Opa Locka
Posts: 5,573

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitz View Post
Well someone has to do it and like it or not the Germans get respect around the world!
I'm not mad at Germany leading. I'm mad (and mildly amused) that it has to be Germany.
Thanks from tecoyah and numan
David is offline  
Reply

  Political Fray > The Political Fray > Government and Politics

Tags
crisis , fix , merkel , offers



Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Consitutinal Crisis Looming David Government and Politics 7 December 13th, 2016 02:28 PM
Left opposition wins over austerity disappointment with Merkel myp Current Events 6 May 14th, 2012 07:29 AM
Australia In Crisis Simbainoz Government and Politics 1 February 21st, 2012 06:19 AM


Facebook Twitter RSS Feed



Copyright © 2009-2013 Political Fray. All rights reserved.