The Political Fray - Political Forum
Go Back   Political Fray > The Political Fray > History

History Historical Discussions - For discussion about the great (and not-so-great) happenings of history


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old January 19th, 2010, 07:25 PM   #1
myp
Founding Father
 
myp's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2009
From: us
Posts: 5,841

What is the greatest invention of all time?

This is along the lines of my other thread, but what do you feel is the greatest invention of all time? I am still thinking this one over too, but the printing press is definitely up there as is the alphabet/language.
myp is offline  
Old January 19th, 2010, 08:50 PM   #2
Vice President
 
David's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2009
From: Opa Locka
Posts: 5,503

Quote:
Originally Posted by myp View Post
This is along the lines of my other thread, but what do you feel is the greatest invention of all time? I am still thinking this one over too, but the printing press is definitely up there as is the alphabet/language.
Fire, even if we didn't invent it, it was still a species of human ay least.
David is offline  
Old January 20th, 2010, 03:09 AM   #3
Secretary of State
 
deanhills's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2009
Posts: 2,187

Computers and computing. And the Internet. All of it has had a major affect on everyone in the world, resulting in an explosion of the information age.
deanhills is offline  
Old January 20th, 2010, 05:28 AM   #4
Congressional Leader
 
DodgeFB's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2009
From: Undisclosed
Posts: 2,751

Beer.
DodgeFB is offline  
Old January 20th, 2010, 09:41 AM   #5
Vice President
 
David's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2009
From: Opa Locka
Posts: 5,503

Quote:
Originally Posted by DodgeFB View Post
Beer.
All hail Egypt!
David is offline  
Old January 20th, 2010, 02:00 PM   #6
Representative
 
Joined: Dec 2009
From: Canada
Posts: 119

The printing press. It made it easier to send information around.
el canadiano is offline  
Old February 5th, 2010, 03:17 PM   #7
myp
Founding Father
 
myp's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2009
From: us
Posts: 5,841

The first findings on how to genetically manipulate crops is up there as well because without that the human population likely wouldn't have been able to sustain itself at current levels. Medicine is certainly up there, along with techniques such as pasteurization.
myp is offline  
Old February 5th, 2010, 03:26 PM   #8
Secretary of State
 
deanhills's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2009
Posts: 2,187

Quote:
Originally Posted by myp View Post
The first findings on how to genetically manipulate crops is up there
I wonder how healthy that could be. And exactly what they are manipulating?
deanhills is offline  
Old February 5th, 2010, 04:03 PM   #9
Vice President
 
David's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2009
From: Opa Locka
Posts: 5,503

Quote:
Originally Posted by myp View Post
The first findings on how to genetically manipulate crops is up there as well because without that the human population likely wouldn't have been able to sustain itself at current levels.
The worst mistake in history.
David is offline  
Old February 5th, 2010, 04:35 PM   #10
myp
Founding Father
 
myp's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2009
From: us
Posts: 5,841

Quote:
Originally Posted by deanhills View Post
I wonder how healthy that could be. And exactly what they are manipulating?
Most of the food that we buy in the modern world at the grocery store is manipulated in some way. Do you really think tomatoes are all naturally that red or that big? Or that pears so sweet or corn so perfect? Farmers have been genetically breeding and manipulating foods for quite some time. From fruits to vegetables to the animals people eat to the cows that produce milk, there is genetic manipulation involved in a vast majority of those products worldwide.
Quote:
Originally Posted by David View Post
I disagree completely. I skimmed the article and I think I got the major points, but it is really being pessimistic as it does not consider all the benefits that the specialization into other areas has created for humanity. It has allowed other markets to thrive and as a result technology to progress a lot faster and people to have more choice in what they do. The nutritional foods are still there for those who want them, but they just have other choices now.
myp is offline  
Old February 5th, 2010, 04:38 PM   #11
Vice President
 
David's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2009
From: Opa Locka
Posts: 5,503

Quote:
Originally Posted by myp View Post
Most of the food that we buy in the modern world at the grocery store is manipulated in some way. Do you really think tomatoes are all naturally that red or that big? Or that pears so sweet or corn so perfect? Farmers have been genetically breeding and manipulating foods for quite some time. From fruits to vegetables to the animals people eat to the cows that produce milk, there is genetic manipulation involved in a vast majority of those products worldwide.

I disagree completely. I skimmed the article and I think I got the major points, but it is really being pessimistic as it does not consider all the benefits that the specialization into other areas has created for humanity. It has allowed other markets to thrive and as a result technology to progress a lot faster and people to have more choice in what they do. The nutritional foods are still there for those who want them, but they just have other choices now.
I think we need to move to photosynthesis. So much easer.
David is offline  
Old February 5th, 2010, 04:50 PM   #12
myp
Founding Father
 
myp's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2009
From: us
Posts: 5,841

Quote:
Originally Posted by David View Post
I think we need to move to photosynthesis. So much easer.
Not sure what you mean. The plants that produce the food humans eat are all photosynthetic.
myp is offline  
Old February 8th, 2010, 12:44 AM   #13
Intern
 
extGamer's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2010
Posts: 1

The Telephone... Its the invention that lead to Mobile phones,computers and networks
extGamer is offline  
Old March 16th, 2010, 01:07 PM   #14
Intern
 
Joined: Mar 2010
Posts: 15

Telephone. Imagine us having to ride a horse 20 km to invite someone over for a cup of coffee Na na
purpleinsect is offline  
Old March 16th, 2010, 05:05 PM   #15
Anarchist
 
Dirk's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2009
From: Disunited Queendom
Posts: 1,944

Quote:
Originally Posted by purpleinsect View Post
Telephone. Imagine us having to ride a horse 20 km to invite someone over for a cup of coffee Na na
Before the telephone, there was the telegraph.
Dirk is offline  
Old March 29th, 2010, 03:52 PM   #16
Analyst
 
SpayAndNeuterLibs's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2010
Posts: 52

Although not the greatest, or most prideful invention of all time. This invention from its introduction to the world stage, has had a major war mentality impact. Some hale the invention as a display of the worse of man, others view it just the opposite. August 9th 1945 was the second time we used this invention, August 6th 1945 was the first. Killing about 50,000 people in a matter of days, and as many as 250,000 in the long term. The atomic bomb which was used only twice in conflict ushered in a new era of technology, and fear. The fear of total annihilation, has a demoralizing effect on the solders who would wage war. We commonly refer to this effect as a deterrent. Japan surrendered unconditionally August 15th 1945. Even though we celebrate our victory over Japan on the 14th. The dates are different because of Japan being a day ahead of us at the time of surrender.

According to the History Channel, the number of world wide war related deaths has drastically dropped since the use of the atomic bomb. As of now the world wide war related death annually are around the 1 million mark, and continue to drop year after year. I tried to find a link to this information, but was unable too. I saw a documentary on the History Channel, a few weeks ago. They didn’t come right out and claim that the invention of the atomic bomb had been the cause to the reduction of war related deaths. They just pointed out the fact that even though the world population continues to grow. The war related deaths since wwII has fallen. Seems like an interesting observation to me.
SpayAndNeuterLibs is offline  
Old March 29th, 2010, 04:31 PM   #17
Analyst
 
SpayAndNeuterLibs's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2010
Posts: 52

Quote:
Originally Posted by DodgeFB View Post
Beer.
Beer, yep. Vodka, too!
SpayAndNeuterLibs is offline  
Old March 30th, 2010, 02:52 AM   #18
Secretary of State
 
deanhills's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2009
Posts: 2,187

The Internet. Can't even remember what life must have been like without being able to access almost any bit of information just at the click of a button.
deanhills is offline  
Old March 31st, 2010, 09:36 PM   #19
Anarchist
 
Dirk's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2009
From: Disunited Queendom
Posts: 1,944

Quote:
Originally Posted by deanhills View Post
The Internet. Can't even remember what life must have been like without being able to access almost any bit of information just at the click of a button.
I remember these creatures:



They were around when i was little.
Dirk is offline  
Old April 1st, 2010, 01:29 AM   #20
Secretary of State
 
deanhills's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2009
Posts: 2,187

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirk View Post
They were around when i was little.
..... that was almost a give away wasn't it?

You're right though, those old computers were really too much computer. Although the one in your illustration was almost a "light computer" from that time.
deanhills is offline  
Reply

  Political Fray > The Political Fray > History

Tags
greatest , invention , time



Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Want Federal income tax cuts? You will give the rich the greatest cuts myp Economics 0 July 10th, 2012 08:59 PM
The greatest empire alexmike History 1 May 24th, 2010 04:12 AM
The greatest general of all time alexmike History 0 May 22nd, 2010 03:12 AM
Mughals - the greatest emperors ever prasanth5 History 0 May 11th, 2010 09:31 AM
Hannibal the carthaginian: The greatest ever? pingpong12 History 1 February 25th, 2009 04:00 PM


Facebook Twitter RSS Feed



Copyright © 2009-2013 Political Fray. All rights reserved.