The Political Fray - Political Forum
Go Back   Political Fray > The Political Fray > History

History Historical Discussions - For discussion about the great (and not-so-great) happenings of history


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old January 4th, 2013, 05:02 PM   #1
myp
Founding Father
 
myp's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2009
From: us
Posts: 5,841

The Men Who Built America

Just saw the first episode of the series by History channel. It is about Vanderbilt, Rockefeller, J.P. Morgan, Carnegie, and Ford. Pretty good- anyone else seen it?
myp is offline  
Old January 4th, 2013, 06:06 PM   #2
Founding Father
 
Joined: Jan 2013
From: Maryland
Posts: 316

Came here just to say that I also recommend the show, there's only 4 episodes in the mini-series but it's very good. It's not your typical documentary, there's commentary and reenactments.
omej is offline  
Old January 4th, 2013, 06:37 PM   #3
Secretary of State
 
chris7375's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2012
From: Stuart
Posts: 740

Quote:
Originally Posted by myp View Post
Just saw the first episode of the series by History channel. It is about Vanderbilt, Rockefeller, J.P. Morgan, Carnegie, and Ford. Pretty good- anyone else seen it?
No but it should be on Hulu in the near future if it is not already I will look and see.
chris7375 is offline  
Old January 4th, 2013, 09:05 PM   #4
Vice President
 
David's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2009
From: Opa Locka
Posts: 5,503

Quote:
Originally Posted by myp View Post
Just saw the first episode of the series by History channel. It is about Vanderbilt, Rockefeller, J.P. Morgan, Carnegie, and Ford. Pretty good- anyone else seen it?
Aside from Vanderbilt (and probably due to ignorance), all men I despise. I think I'll skip their glorification by the Hitler and UFO Channel.
David is offline  
Old January 4th, 2013, 11:17 PM   #5
Banned
 
Joined: Jan 2012
From: Texas
Posts: 1,975

I haven't seen the history channel thing but I have researched carnegie and Ford, quite some interesting people. There is one not mentioned in the op and a fellow that seems to be quite unsung.

Hyam Soloman, a Spanish immigrant.
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Haym_Solomon
clax is offline  
Old January 5th, 2013, 11:51 AM   #6
Intern
 
Cicero's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2013
Posts: 47

The men who built America are the people who were employed an oppressed by those robber-barons. It is a shame that people seem to forget that in America in those days equal rights were denied to women and minorities. How can you glorify the white men who profited from that era?

Quote:
Originally Posted by David View Post
Hitler and UFO Channel.
Very funny, and apt.
Cicero is offline  
Old January 5th, 2013, 04:46 PM   #7
myp
Founding Father
 
myp's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2009
From: us
Posts: 5,841

You don't have to agree with the glorification, but it is a good recap of their lives/history. I found the show to be entertaining and informative, not that I necessarily agree with some of the commentary. (and with people like Trump, Jim Cramer, and Jack Welch as commentators, I certainly wasn't a fan of that part anyway) Still, overall, I enjoyed it.
myp is offline  
Old January 5th, 2013, 05:06 PM   #8
Banned
 
Joined: Jan 2012
From: Texas
Posts: 1,975

Quote:
Originally Posted by myp View Post
You don't have to agree with the glorification, but it is a good recap of their lives/history. I found the show to be entertaining and informative, not that I necessarily agree with some of the commentary. (and with people like Trump, Jim Cramer, and Jack Welch as commentators, I certainly wasn't a fan of that part anyway) Still, overall, I enjoyed it.
It seems that the flaws that people have are amplified if they have wealth and fame.

It is very interesting.
clax is offline  
Old January 5th, 2013, 05:07 PM   #9
Intern
 
Cicero's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2013
Posts: 47

Quote:
Originally Posted by myp View Post
You don't have to agree with the glorification, but it is a good recap of their lives/history. I found the show to be entertaining and informative, not that I necessarily agree with some of the commentary. (and with people like Trump, Jim Cramer, and Jack Welch as commentators, I certainly wasn't a fan of that part anyway) Still, overall, I enjoyed it.
True, it's valuable as history. But I would be more interested in a people's history of that era, than a history strictly from the perspective of the elite. I view that as obscene.
Cicero is offline  
Old January 5th, 2013, 05:09 PM   #10
myp
Founding Father
 
myp's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2009
From: us
Posts: 5,841

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cicero View Post
True, it's valuable as history. But I would be more interested in a people's history of that era, than a history strictly from the perspective of the elite. I view that as obscene.
How can you say it is a perspective of the elite when you haven't even seen the show?
myp is offline  
Old January 5th, 2013, 05:18 PM   #11
Intern
 
Cicero's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2013
Posts: 47

Quote:
Originally Posted by myp View Post
How can you say it is a perspective of the elite when you haven't even seen the show?
Why would a people's history be titled Vanderbilt, Rockefeller, J.P. Morgan, Carnegie, and Ford?
Cicero is offline  
Old January 5th, 2013, 05:20 PM   #12
Secretary of State
 
tecoyah's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2012
From: Louisville, Ky
Posts: 3,477

They were important individuals...we call it history.
tecoyah is online now  
Old January 5th, 2013, 05:21 PM   #13
myp
Founding Father
 
myp's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2009
From: us
Posts: 5,841

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cicero View Post
Why would a people's history be titled Vanderbilt, Rockefeller, J.P. Morgan, Carnegie, and Ford?
Everything isn't focused on the "people". What is the "people" anyway? Populations have conflicting histories when you scale down to the individual level, even amongst people of the same socioeconomic class.
myp is offline  
Old January 5th, 2013, 05:25 PM   #14
Banned
 
Joined: Jan 2012
From: Texas
Posts: 1,975

Quote:
Originally Posted by myp View Post
Everything isn't focused on the "people". What is the "people" anyway? Populations have conflicting histories when you scale down to the individual level, even amongst people of the same socioeconomic class.
Seems someone is uninformed as to what history is. Without these men, our country would be very different.

It seems like hatred of private wealth.
clax is offline  
Old January 5th, 2013, 05:28 PM   #15
Intern
 
Cicero's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2013
Posts: 47

Quote:
Originally Posted by myp View Post
Everything isn't focused on the "people". What is the "people" anyway? Populations have conflicting histories when you scale down to the individual level, even amongst people of the same socioeconomic class.
Well you asked how do I know it's about the elite without watching it. The answer is, it's in the title.
Cicero is offline  
Old January 5th, 2013, 05:30 PM   #16
Intern
 
Cicero's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2013
Posts: 47

Quote:
Originally Posted by clax View Post
Seems someone is uninformed as to what history is. Without these men, our country would be very different.

It seems like hatred of private wealth.
No, it wouldn't. If there was no Rockefeller, it would have been Smith, or somebody else. The elite write the history, so it creates the illusion that history is somehow just a series of great men. But that's a theory that has been soundly debunked.
Cicero is offline  
Old January 5th, 2013, 05:31 PM   #17
Banned
 
Joined: Jan 2012
From: Texas
Posts: 1,975

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cicero View Post
Well you asked how do I know it's about the elite without watching it. The answer is, it's in the title.
The people named in the title are just the corner stones of the discussion. The "elite" always are the focal point of history.

What is wrong with people being "elite" as you say?
clax is offline  
Old January 5th, 2013, 05:36 PM   #18
myp
Founding Father
 
myp's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2009
From: us
Posts: 5,841

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cicero View Post
Well you asked how do I know it's about the elite without watching it. The answer is, it's in the title.
No, I asked how you know it is from the perspective of the elite...
myp is offline  
Old January 5th, 2013, 05:36 PM   #19
myp
Founding Father
 
myp's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2009
From: us
Posts: 5,841

Quote:
Originally Posted by clax View Post
It seems like hatred of private wealth.
You're jumping to a whole other conclusion.
myp is offline  
Old January 5th, 2013, 05:39 PM   #20
Banned
 
Joined: Jan 2012
From: Texas
Posts: 1,975

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cicero View Post
No, it wouldn't. If there was no Rockefeller, it would have been Smith, or somebody else. The elite write the history, so it creates the illusion that history is somehow just a series of great men. But that's a theory that has been soundly debunked.
Not great men, powerful men. It is with power that history is written and changed. How do you know it would be Smith or somebody else? Perhaps if Henry Ford didn't create a car company a worse person would have.

It wasn't the man himself but the effect that the power welded by such a man had on the course of history.

How would you discuss history without discussing powerful people. I get that they were just people just like anybody else. It was not who they were that was of historical importance but what they did.

It seems odd that you think that it is like worshiping of gods just to note that this or that impact on our nation was the result of somebody's action.
clax is offline  
Reply

  Political Fray > The Political Fray > History

Tags
america , built , men



Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Where does America go from here? =Zoomer= Government and Politics 14 November 20th, 2012 12:35 AM
This built his business without the gov't's help... David Political Humor 5 August 10th, 2012 07:11 AM
The "most" built American cars myp Current Events 1 July 1st, 2011 10:01 PM
Save america Freedom_Now Current Events 3 August 16th, 2010 09:39 PM
Obama said on America........ bunty Current Events 8 January 19th, 2009 08:47 PM


Facebook Twitter RSS Feed



Copyright © 2009-2013 Political Fray. All rights reserved.