The Political Fray - Political Forum
Go Back   Political Fray > The Political Fray > Philosophy

Philosophy Philosophy discussion about everything from politics to daily living to ethics and morals


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old June 13th, 2012, 11:24 AM   #101
Secretary of State
 
chris7375's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2012
From: Stuart
Posts: 740

Well I am new to this forum I feel I must weigh in on this thread. I am Christian and I am proud of my faith in God and how he has worked in my life.
Though I can say for certain I do not agree with a persons choice to be in a homosexual relationship I don't hold it against them. I spoke my peace to my gay friends and they listened and heard me out and all is fine.
I don't believe their choice in sexual preference makes them a bad person by far my friends are some of the nicest people one could meet.
I believe God states he gives all people a choice to except Jesus as one's Saviour or not to and it is their choice to accept or deny.
Though I may believe that their choice is wrong I don't truely think it makes the person bad.
That is just my view though.
chris7375 is offline  
Old June 13th, 2012, 12:32 PM   #102
Senator
 
Cerise's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2012
From: England
Posts: 553

Why do you think homosexuality is a choice anymore than heterosexuality is?
Cerise is offline  
Old June 13th, 2012, 02:16 PM   #103
Banned
 
Joined: Jan 2012
From: Texas
Posts: 1,975

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cerise View Post
Why do you think homosexuality is a choice anymore than heterosexuality is?
I don't, if it was, nobody would be gay, why would anybody want that who could help it. Gay people suffer from bigotry, anonomos hate and depression is normally linked to it as well. If you could choose to be straight why wouldnt you
clax is offline  
Old June 13th, 2012, 02:18 PM   #104
myp
Founding Father
 
myp's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2009
From: us
Posts: 5,907

Quote:
Originally Posted by clax View Post
I don't, if it was, nobody would be gay, why would anybody want that who could help it. Gay people suffer from bigotry, anonomos hate and depression is normally linked to it as well. If you could choose to be straight why wouldnt you
I think you and Cerise agree a lot more than you two make it seem
myp is offline  
Old June 13th, 2012, 07:45 PM   #105
Banned
 
Joined: Jan 2012
From: Texas
Posts: 1,975

Quote:
Originally Posted by myp View Post
I think you and Cerise agree a lot more than you two make it seem
Oh yes we do, it seems we only differ on small stuff, i learned something from cerise, through perssonal messaging. Cerise is wise
clax is offline  
Old June 13th, 2012, 08:06 PM   #106
Intern
 
Joined: Jun 2012
Posts: 36

A lot of the issues of gay people being depressed or among other things is the notion or stigma from friends and family becoming hostile or turning away from them because of who they are. It's not a choice or even a disease, merely a way of how that one person out of millions look to the same sex for personal attachment, love, and to have a someone to share their life with. Just like their heterosexual counterparts, nothing is different in how they think.
The GMan is offline  
Old June 13th, 2012, 09:47 PM   #107
Banned
 
Joined: Jan 2012
From: Texas
Posts: 1,975

Quote:
Originally Posted by The GMan View Post
A lot of the issues of gay people being depressed or among other things is the notion or stigma from friends and family becoming hostile or turning away from them because of who they are. It's not a choice or even a disease, merely a way of how that one person out of millions look to the same sex for personal attachment, love, and to have a someone to share their life with. Just like their heterosexual counterparts, nothing is different in how they think.
I agree they are no different then heterosexuals. But in my experiance working with teenaged boys, it is simply the notion that they are different, they want to be like their friends and like girls, they try, and become frustrated. And when they accept their differences they genuinly become happier, regardless of friends walking away. I think it is an extra burden on gay people, regardless of anti-gay beliefs in the world. For that i dont think there is any fix for, I only have experiance dealing with teenagers so i dont know about adults and the issues they may face. That being said, all a teenaged boy wants is to be accepted by his peers, and i am sorry for boys who are gay, and wrestling that internally, and the guilt they feel and the akwardness, and the hiding, my heart breaks for them, all i can do is offer my acceptance, confadence, and support. I hope that makes it easier, but it is only just.

That is proof to me that it is not a choice

Last edited by clax; June 13th, 2012 at 09:49 PM. Reason: incomplete
clax is offline  
Old June 19th, 2012, 11:43 AM   #108
Secretary of State
 
chris7375's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2012
From: Stuart
Posts: 740

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cerise View Post
Why do you think homosexuality is a choice anymore than heterosexuality is?
The reason I think that is science has not proved otherwise at the current time. I don't think it is something preprogrammed in a person. We as humans where given the ability to decifer between right and wrong. Does one steal because it is preprogrammed in them? Why has science not proven that it is otherwise you only hear they are close yet not there yet. When science can say for 100 percent without doubt this is a gene then I might consider it but they have yet to do so.
chris7375 is offline  
Old June 19th, 2012, 11:51 AM   #109
Senator
 
Cerise's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2012
From: England
Posts: 553

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris7375 View Post
The reason I think that is science has not proved otherwise at the current time. I don't think it is something preprogrammed in a person. We as humans where given the ability to decifer between right and wrong. Does one steal because it is preprogrammed in them? Why has science not proven that it is otherwise you only hear they are close yet not there yet. When science can say for 100 percent without doubt this is a gene then I might consider it but they have yet to do so.
With respect, you said that God gives people a choice but yet you are prepared to accept what a scientist 'proves'

I am heterosexual. I was always heterosexual and I didnt have to think about it or choose whether to like men rather than women.
I think it has been proven that some people are more inclined to violence than others.
Cerise is offline  
Old June 19th, 2012, 12:09 PM   #110
Secretary of State
 
chris7375's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2012
From: Stuart
Posts: 740

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cerise View Post
With respect, you said that God gives people a choice but yet you are prepared to accept what a scientist 'proves'

I am heterosexual. I was always heterosexual and I didnt have to think about it or choose whether to like men rather than women.
I think it has been proven that some people are more inclined to violence than others.
Well I also said with 100 percent certainty also which you will never get in life. They can say hey this is the gene but how do they truly know it is? Our understanding and where our science stands at present day though good will never be able to make that a 100 percent guarentee. SO I know I will never have to worry about accepting what science proves. This debate has gone on a long time.
People are going to believe it is a gene and other a choice it is a difference of opinions. I believe it is a choice.
chris7375 is offline  
Old June 19th, 2012, 12:43 PM   #111
Banned
 
Joined: Jan 2012
From: Texas
Posts: 1,975

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris7375 View Post
Well I also said with 100 percent certainty also which you will never get in life. They can say hey this is the gene but how do they truly know it is? Our understanding and where our science stands at present day though good will never be able to make that a 100 percent guarentee. SO I know I will never have to worry about accepting what science proves. This debate has gone on a long time.
People are going to believe it is a gene and other a choice it is a difference of opinions. I believe it is a choice.
Why is it either genetics or a choice. Homosexuality is behavior, and behavior may be influenced geneticly, the jury is still out. That being said, what makes you believe behavior is a choice, if I threaten to hit you, you will react typically an involentary behavior, because this is learned, through conditioning.

You having fear of hights or liking the smell of lavender are involentary, but not genetic. Where it is a choice to sleep withsomeone, it is not to be attracted to someone.
clax is offline  
Old June 20th, 2012, 01:34 AM   #112
Banned
 
Joined: Jan 2012
From: Texas
Posts: 1,975

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris7375 View Post
Well I also said with 100 percent certainty also which you will never get in life. They can say hey this is the gene but how do they truly know it is? Our understanding and where our science stands at present day though good will never be able to make that a 100 percent guarentee. SO I know I will never have to worry about accepting what science proves. This debate has gone on a long time.
People are going to believe it is a gene and other a choice it is a difference of opinions. I believe it is a choice.
when did you make the choice, when have you lived it, from your perspective how can it be a choice?

I tell you this I have worked with kids between 11 and 17 and when they find out that they are gay, they do everything in their power not to be, the spend many hours in pain and despising themselves because they cant choose not to be homosexual. no parent when their baby is born says I hope he is gay, no child at the age of 7 years says I want to marry someone in my gender. the theory that it is a choice is completely unfounded, it actually goes against human behavior.

do you know any homosexuals?
clax is offline  
Old June 22nd, 2012, 10:10 AM   #113
myp
Founding Father
 
myp's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2009
From: us
Posts: 5,907

chris, you clearly have not taken the time to actually learn about the scientific method and you definitely have not taken the time to read the genetics literature out there. With all due to respect, you do not know what you are talking about.

I am not saying being gay is related to a gene- if anything it would be an allele, but either way I am not sure it is. That does not change the fact that you completely misunderstand how science operates. Sorry but some of the things you say are choices aren't really.
myp is offline  
Old June 22nd, 2012, 02:08 PM   #114
Banned
 
Joined: Jan 2012
From: Texas
Posts: 1,975

Quote:
Originally Posted by myp View Post
chris, you clearly have not taken the time to actually learn about the scientific method and you definitely have not taken the time to read the genetics literature out there. With all due to respect, you do not know what you are talking about.

I am not saying being gay is related to a gene- if anything it would be an allele, but either way I am not sure it is. That does not change the fact that you completely misunderstand how science operates. Sorry but some of the things you say are choices aren't really.
Wow, i agree with you. How about that.
clax is offline  
Old October 3rd, 2016, 02:55 PM   #115
President
 
Aufgeblassen's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2013
From: Central FL
Posts: 11,029

Quote:
Originally Posted by myp View Post

People who are gay hurt no one.
Far from it. They hurt and shame their parents and other relatives.
Aufgeblassen is online now  
Old October 3rd, 2016, 02:58 PM   #116
Secretary of State
 
tecoyah's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2012
From: Louisville, Ky
Posts: 4,676

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aufgeblassen View Post
Far from it. They hurt and shame their parents and other relatives.
That is inaccurate, we each have complete control over our feelings and what they feel is entirely on them.
tecoyah is offline  
Old October 3rd, 2016, 03:03 PM   #117
President
 
Aufgeblassen's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2013
From: Central FL
Posts: 11,029

Quote:
Originally Posted by tecoyah View Post
That is inaccurate, we each have complete control over our feelings and what they feel is entirely on them.
Aufgeblassen is online now  
Reply

  Political Fray > The Political Fray > Philosophy

Tags
addressing , gay , issue



Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
The Universal Whaling Issue rice_farmer Government and Politics 102 June 24th, 2012 10:12 PM
healthcare issue cjaneposc Government and Politics 35 February 5th, 2010 03:14 PM
Tiger Woods issue chu Current Events 42 January 7th, 2010 02:41 PM


Facebook Twitter RSS Feed



Copyright © 2009-2013 Political Fray. All rights reserved.