The Political Fray - Political Forum
Go Back   Political Fray > The Political Fray > Philosophy

Philosophy Philosophy discussion about everything from politics to daily living to ethics and morals


Thanks Tree1Thanks
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old February 21st, 2014, 03:54 PM   #1
Governor
 
arcturus88's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2012
From: NC
Posts: 1,460

Exclamation what will end us?!?

I'd love to make a poll here like other forums have but I don't see the capability here?

anyways, watching deep space marvels about asteroids and black holes, etc. and another fun topic popped into my head.

how do you think it will all end (you know specifically for us humans)?

a few options but feel free to add your own:

1. huge asteroid strike
2. black hole
3. climate change (external or internal driven factors)
4. food shortage
5. massive war (nukes, etc)
6. virus / disease
7. alien landing and extermination
8. other (please describe)
arcturus88 is online now  
Old February 21st, 2014, 04:18 PM   #2
Governor
 
Polydectes's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2013
From: just past the moons of Jupiter
Posts: 1,173

Other. It doesn't matter because they are all possible.
Polydectes is offline  
Old February 21st, 2014, 04:40 PM   #3
Secretary of State
 
tecoyah's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2012
From: Louisville, Ky
Posts: 3,476

Quote:
Originally Posted by arcturus88 View Post
I'd love to make a poll here like other forums have but I don't see the capability here?

anyways, watching deep space marvels about asteroids and black holes, etc. and another fun topic popped into my head.

how do you think it will all end (you know specifically for us humans)?

a few options but feel free to add your own:

1. huge asteroid strike
2. black hole
3. climate change (external or internal driven factors)
4. food shortage
5. massive war (nukes, etc)
6. virus / disease
7. alien landing and extermination
8. other (please describe)
I find the most likely listed, to be a combination...climate change leading to food shortages, combined with fresh water being.either contaminated or scarce.

It will not however be the "End of Us"....just most of us.
tecoyah is online now  
Old February 21st, 2014, 07:34 PM   #4
Governor
 
Polydectes's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2013
From: just past the moons of Jupiter
Posts: 1,173

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aufgeblassen View Post
Climate change, specifically global warming will lead to greater rainfall. That in combination with longer growing seasons will lead to greater crop production. More rainfall leads to greater water resources.
Warmer ocean water equals greater oxygen concentration and moreprolific sea life. Higher levels of phytoplankton means greater oxygen production for us land dwellers.
Polydectes is offline  
Old February 21st, 2014, 10:12 PM   #5
Vice President
 
David's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2009
From: Opa Locka
Posts: 5,503

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polydectes View Post
Warmer ocean water equals greater oxygen concentration and moreprolific sea life. Higher levels of phytoplankton means greater oxygen production for us land dwellers.
It also means te reefs die, taking all the fish that live off them out as well. It also means the end of cold water species and the driving toward the poles of warm water species (which has already started, they're catching tropical fish in Denmark now). Lukewarm water is good, cold/hot water (when global) not so much.

As for how, I say zombies. Humans are extremely adaptive and some sudden global killer is unlikely in the extreme but a highly contagious zombie disease, with enough time, can't help but infect everyone. How many people were attacked in '12? How pathetic was the response? Now imagine if those zombies weren't drug induced all the victims had turned. It would be out of control before we knew what was happening.
David is offline  
Old February 21st, 2014, 10:26 PM   #6
Governor
 
Polydectes's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2013
From: just past the moons of Jupiter
Posts: 1,173

Quote:
Originally Posted by David View Post
It also means te reefs die, taking all the fish that live off them out as well. It also means the end of cold water species and the driving toward the poles of warm water species (which has already started, they're catching tropical fish in Denmark now).
So what?
Polydectes is offline  
Old February 22nd, 2014, 01:41 AM   #7
Secretary of State
 
tecoyah's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2012
From: Louisville, Ky
Posts: 3,476

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aufgeblassen View Post
Climate change, specifically global warming will lead to greater rainfall. That in combination with longer growing seasons will lead to greater crop production. More rainfall leads to greater water resources.
Tell that to Australia....or Brazil.
tecoyah is online now  
Old February 22nd, 2014, 06:15 AM   #8
Vice President
 
David's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2009
From: Opa Locka
Posts: 5,503

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polydectes View Post
So what?
I don't want to die.
David is offline  
Old February 22nd, 2014, 07:51 AM   #9
Secretary of State
 
tecoyah's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2012
From: Louisville, Ky
Posts: 3,476

Quote:
Originally Posted by David View Post
I don't want to die.
Don't worry about it, you will not die.

Perhaps your kids, or theirs.....but you will be fine.
tecoyah is online now  
Old February 22nd, 2014, 11:45 AM   #10
Vice President
 
David's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2009
From: Opa Locka
Posts: 5,503

Quote:
Originally Posted by tecoyah View Post
Don't worry about it, you will not die.

Perhaps your kids, or theirs.....but you will be fine.
The elimination of 60% of the food supply and the resulting wars probably would kill me (and most others).
David is offline  
Old February 22nd, 2014, 12:28 PM   #11
Secretary of State
 
tecoyah's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2012
From: Louisville, Ky
Posts: 3,476

Quote:
Originally Posted by David View Post
The elimination of 60% of the food supply and the resulting wars probably would kill me (and most others).
It will be many years before the changing climate effects our world this dramatically....though it most likely will eventually.

You and I will simply worry about it, but suffer only economic impact. Future generations will deal with the physical effects.
tecoyah is online now  
Old February 22nd, 2014, 01:12 PM   #12
Governor
 
Polydectes's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2013
From: just past the moons of Jupiter
Posts: 1,173

Quote:
Originally Posted by David View Post
I don't want to die.
Too bad. Everyone dies.
Polydectes is offline  
Old February 22nd, 2014, 07:38 PM   #13
Vice President
 
David's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2009
From: Opa Locka
Posts: 5,503

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polydectes View Post
Too bad. Everyone dies.
That's not really true anymore. Anyone under the age of 40, baring misfortune or bad health, will live to see a cure for aging. And even if that was true, my personal death and the extinction of our species are two vary different things.
David is offline  
Old February 23rd, 2014, 02:19 AM   #14
Governor
 
Polydectes's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2013
From: just past the moons of Jupiter
Posts: 1,173

Quote:
Originally Posted by David View Post
That's not really true anymore. Anyone under the age of 40, baring misfortune or bad health, will live to see a cure for aging. And even if that was true, my personal death and the extinction of our species are two vary different things.
I doubt we will ever defeat death. Extension is eminent and most assured. Once you make peace with that, life becomes precious. It is valued because it is finite.

We don't need to cure death from old age. We need to cure age itself. Basically stopping time. Let's just say hypothetically we did. The universe will still end. Earth one day will not be habitable. Death is something you will meet out run. Extinction is a guarantee. Make peace with it or delude yourself into believing it's never going to happen. It's really up to you, one thing it's certain the living will die.

Everything dies.
Thanks from tecoyah
Polydectes is offline  
Old February 23rd, 2014, 09:03 AM   #15
Vice President
 
David's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2009
From: Opa Locka
Posts: 5,503

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aufgeblassen View Post
LOL!!! They will see pigs fly before that happens!!!

I've got $58 Billion, the worlds best minds, a 38 year window and the existence of biologically immortal life to back me up.
David is offline  
Old February 24th, 2014, 12:23 PM   #16
Governor
 
arcturus88's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2012
From: NC
Posts: 1,460

Quote:
Originally Posted by David View Post
I've got $58 Billion, the worlds best minds, a 38 year window and the existence of biologically immortal life to back me up.
what are you referring to?
arcturus88 is online now  
Old February 24th, 2014, 08:29 PM   #17
Vice President
 
David's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2009
From: Opa Locka
Posts: 5,503

Quote:
Originally Posted by arcturus88 View Post
what are you referring to?
Google, quite a few billionaires, a bunch of biologists, an expectation for a cure within 38 years and an immortal jellyfish as proof of concept.
David is offline  
Old February 24th, 2014, 09:30 PM   #18
Governor
 
Polydectes's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2013
From: just past the moons of Jupiter
Posts: 1,173

Quote:
Originally Posted by David View Post
Google, quite a few billionaires, a bunch of biologists, an expectation for a cure within 38 years and an immortal jellyfish as proof of concept.
Your immortal jellyfish will perish when earth is no longer habitable thus making it mortal.
Polydectes is offline  
Old February 25th, 2014, 12:12 AM   #19
Vice President
 
David's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2009
From: Opa Locka
Posts: 5,503

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polydectes View Post
Your immortal jellyfish will perish when earth is no longer habitable thus making it mortal.
Biological immortality.
David is offline  
Old February 25th, 2014, 02:51 AM   #20
Governor
 
Polydectes's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2013
From: just past the moons of Jupiter
Posts: 1,173

Quote:
Originally Posted by David View Post
Biological immortality.
If I can kill it, it isn't immortal.
Mortality is death.
Polydectes is offline  
Reply

  Political Fray > The Political Fray > Philosophy

Tags
end



Thread Tools
Display Modes



Facebook Twitter RSS Feed



Copyright © 2009-2013 Political Fray. All rights reserved.