The Political Fray - Political Forum
Go Back   Political Fray > The Political Fray > Philosophy

Philosophy Philosophy discussion about everything from politics to daily living to ethics and morals


Thanks Tree1Thanks
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old August 21st, 2014, 06:35 AM   #21
Governor
 
Polydectes's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2013
From: just past the moons of Jupiter
Posts: 2,234

Quote:
Originally Posted by arcturus88 View Post
from a "natural" sense of life, meaning all science chalks up to life, we as humans are "right" or better said, "successful" by one thing and one thing alone.

procreation.

procreation so as to enable our genes to carry on. that means the guy who has 11 kids out of wed-lock and is a dead-beat dad and abuser is a success. he put his genes out there and thus wins from a darwinian standpoint.

wrong or failure in this light is simply not spreading ones genes. so the man who is charitable and perhaps does not have kids but gives to orphanages or even adopts a child or two (of the deadbeats children) is still by this natural definition a failure.

any thoughts?
I find appeals to nature in deciding whether something is good or bad to be extremely short sided mostly based on your argument above. Basically it's a logical fallacy.
Thanks from arcturus88
Polydectes is offline  
Old August 21st, 2014, 07:56 AM   #22
President
 
Aufgeblassen's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2013
From: Central FL
Posts: 10,670

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polydectes View Post
I find appeals to nature in deciding whether something is good or bad to be extremely short sided mostly based on your argument above. Basically it's a logical fallacy.
Sounds like you are talking out your ass!
Aufgeblassen is offline  
Old August 21st, 2014, 10:14 AM   #23
Governor
 
arcturus88's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2012
From: NC
Posts: 2,136

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polydectes View Post
I find appeals to nature in deciding whether something is good or bad to be extremely short sided mostly based on your argument above. Basically it's a logical fallacy.
yeah that's the point. i post it to highlight the logical fallacy that nature provides such an argument. or some try but when examined it falls short.

Last edited by arcturus88; August 21st, 2014 at 10:31 AM.
arcturus88 is offline  
Old August 21st, 2014, 10:28 AM   #24
President
 
Aufgeblassen's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2013
From: Central FL
Posts: 10,670

I disagree with you that it is a fallacy that nature does provide such an argument.

Last edited by Aufgeblassen; August 21st, 2014 at 10:41 AM.
Aufgeblassen is offline  
Old August 21st, 2014, 10:31 AM   #25
Governor
 
arcturus88's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2012
From: NC
Posts: 2,136

i dont know what you mean.
arcturus88 is offline  
Old August 21st, 2014, 10:34 AM   #26
President
 
Aufgeblassen's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2013
From: Central FL
Posts: 10,670

Quote:
Originally Posted by arcturus88 View Post
i dont know what you mean.
You were satisfied with my answer when I said:

"tecoyah had a good answer; an individual running all by himself in the jungle would have no right nor wrong. But once part of a herd or pack or brood or flock or swarm or clan, one has common agreements with others about how to behave and how not to behave in order to get along and thrive as a group."

Change your mind, even though my answer makes perfect sense???


Last edited by Aufgeblassen; August 21st, 2014 at 11:21 AM.
Aufgeblassen is offline  
Old August 22nd, 2014, 04:29 PM   #27
Governor
 
Polydectes's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2013
From: just past the moons of Jupiter
Posts: 2,234

Quote:
Originally Posted by arcturus88 View Post
yeah that's the point. i post it to highlight the logical fallacy that nature provides such an argument. or some try but when examined it falls short.
Yeah, I agree. It's a bad point to argue but I haven't really seen much real debate on it here.
Polydectes is offline  
Reply

  Political Fray > The Political Fray > Philosophy

Tags
interpretations , natural , wrong



Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
I Like the IRS! Where did they do anything wrong ? Protectionist Current Events 10 May 24th, 2013 05:57 AM
Chris Christie: Natural Disasters don't happen in red or blue states myp Government and Politics 15 January 11th, 2013 10:52 AM
Yet more natural disasters... Dirk Current Events 11 October 16th, 2009 04:32 AM
Obama not a 'Natural born' American? IVotedPaul Conspiracy Theories 19 April 2nd, 2009 09:41 PM


Facebook Twitter RSS Feed



Copyright © 2009-2013 Political Fray. All rights reserved.