The Political Fray - Political Forum
Go Back   Political Fray > The Political Fray > Philosophy

Philosophy Philosophy discussion about everything from politics to daily living to ethics and morals


Thanks Tree3Thanks
  • 1 Post By Aufgeblassen
  • 1 Post By tecoyah
  • 1 Post By David
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old October 8th, 2014, 06:20 AM   #1
Vice President
 
Aufgeblassen's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2013
From: Central FL
Posts: 9,784

Epicurus Had A Very Good Point

Thanks from tecoyah
Aufgeblassen is offline  
Old November 27th, 2015, 07:40 AM   #2
Vice President
 
Aufgeblassen's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2013
From: Central FL
Posts: 9,784

Some good words to live by.
Aufgeblassen is offline  
Old November 27th, 2015, 08:07 AM   #3
Secretary of State
 
tecoyah's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2012
From: Louisville, Ky
Posts: 4,345

So basically....The Bible(s) and the God they represent are the product of ancient mankinds Imagined and created thoughts.

On this I agree.
Thanks from Aufgeblassen
tecoyah is offline  
Old November 27th, 2015, 09:18 AM   #4
Vice President
 
David's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2009
From: Opa Locka
Posts: 5,876

Quote:
Originally Posted by reason10 View Post
I'd like to respond to that.

The Bible had over 60 authors, and this was in a time before the invention of the printing press. Certainly long before Algore invented the Internet.

The original Bible was in Aramaic. At the time there was ONE Catholic Christian church in complete charge of the entire Christian faith. Only clergy from the level of Bishop on up were even allowed to read the Scriptures at all.

At great risk to his life, Martin Luther was the first to translate the Bible from the ancient Aramaic tongue to German. He made the scriptures available for the common man. Over the centuries, the Bible has been reprinted and revised thousands of times. Today there are several Bibles available, all with different wording here or there.

And you're going to base the Epicurus statement on that?

Even the Bible doesn't really describe in any detail the kind of being God is. You'll get more answers (right or wrong) from the TV hit series "Supernatural."
The bible is a mess of mistranslations and political agendas. The orthodox and Catholics don't even have the same 10 Commandments!

A contributing factor to the rise of Islam (originally an attempt at purging Roman influence from Christianity) it should be noted.
David is offline  
Old November 29th, 2015, 07:30 AM   #5
Vice President
 
Aufgeblassen's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2013
From: Central FL
Posts: 9,784

Quote:
Originally Posted by reason10 View Post
WReligion is all based on FAITH.
BLIND faith. In other words, lacking facts.
Aufgeblassen is offline  
Old November 29th, 2015, 09:31 AM   #6
Vice President
 
David's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2009
From: Opa Locka
Posts: 5,876

Quote:
Originally Posted by reason10 View Post
Sooner or later, everything lacks facts. Atheists have as many facts as theists.

What you're leaving out is the issue of accountability. That's the one gift Religion has given humanity.

We would be extinct as a species without the Ten Commandments.

Tell me again where the moral code would come from if it weren't for The Bible. Tell me what's to prevent me from just robbing someone whenever I want something, raping someone's sister whenever I'm horny, or just killing someone who looked at me wrong. How would the human species, (a very frail mammal family compared to a lot of others) survive without a moral code?

Atheists have the luxury of being alive in a world where their safety was guaranteed by the very religions and God that they condemn.
So you're an amoral ass who only plays nice out of fear of Yahweh's wrath? Because that's what your argument amounts to. Anyone that relies on religion for morality is inherently immoral.

And Humans predate the 10 (actually 11) Commandments by about 3 million years, so I'm calling BS on that claim.
David is offline  
Old November 29th, 2015, 01:20 PM   #7
Secretary of State
 
tecoyah's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2012
From: Louisville, Ky
Posts: 4,345

Quote:
Originally Posted by reason10 View Post
Sooner or later, everything lacks facts. Atheists have as many facts as theists.

What you're leaving out is the issue of accountability. That's the one gift Religion has given humanity.

We would be extinct as a species without the Ten Commandments.

Tell me again where the moral code would come from if it weren't for The Bible. Tell me what's to prevent me from just robbing someone whenever I want something, raping someone's sister whenever I'm horny, or just killing someone who looked at me wrong. How would the human species, (a very frail mammal family compared to a lot of others) survive without a moral code?

Atheists have the luxury of being alive in a world where their safety was guaranteed by the very religions and God that they condemn.
Prhttp://www.bandoli.no/sumerianlegacy.htm

probably from the original...the code of Hammurabi.
tecoyah is offline  
Old November 29th, 2015, 07:48 PM   #8
Vice President
 
David's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2009
From: Opa Locka
Posts: 5,876

Quote:
Originally Posted by reason10 View Post
Actually, that IS the basis of human morality whether you like it or not. Without limitations, without being governed, without being told what to do, what not to do, what is right and wrong, humans are very dangerous and very frail creatures who would not last more than a century.

It's not about relying on religion for morality. Religion is the ONLY source of morality.



You are saying that the time between the Book of Genesis and the Book of Exodus is over 3 million years? Got a source to back up that fairy tale?
Morality is based on social norms. If it was religous, athists would be pilliging and rapping and Christians would be forcing women to cover up, stoning adulterous and burning witches.
Thanks from tecoyah
David is offline  
Old December 2nd, 2015, 08:37 AM   #9
Vice President
 
David's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2009
From: Opa Locka
Posts: 5,876

Quote:
Originally Posted by reason10 View Post
No it's not. Morality was INVENTED by religion. Social norms were INVENTED by religion. Long before there were families begetting families there was God and the Garden of Eden.
If that BS was true, we'd have gone extinct inside 3 generations due to inbreeding. Genesis wasn't even a thing before the Babylon Captivity (who the Jews stole the story from).
David is offline  
Old December 2nd, 2015, 11:32 AM   #10
Vice President
 
David's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2009
From: Opa Locka
Posts: 5,876

Quote:
Originally Posted by reason10 View Post
And your proof is?
Do you know what inbreeding does to a person?
David is offline  
Old December 3rd, 2015, 07:10 AM   #11
Vice President
 
Aufgeblassen's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2013
From: Central FL
Posts: 9,784

Quote:
Originally Posted by David View Post
Do you know what inbreeding does to a person?
Apparently he does not.
Aufgeblassen is offline  
Old December 4th, 2015, 05:44 AM   #12
Vice President
 
David's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2009
From: Opa Locka
Posts: 5,876

Quote:
Originally Posted by reason10 View Post
So I take it you don't have the proof.
Aside from the fact that we're not extinct from the debilitating effects of inbreeding?
David is offline  
Old December 8th, 2015, 09:35 AM   #13
Vice President
 
Aufgeblassen's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2013
From: Central FL
Posts: 9,784

Quote:
Originally Posted by reason10 View Post
So I take it you don't have the proof.
One does not need to provide proof for something that is common knowledge.
Aufgeblassen is offline  
Reply

  Political Fray > The Political Fray > Philosophy

Tags
epicurus , good , point



Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Don't You Hate It When Stores Used The Decimal Point AND The Cents Sign? Aufgeblassen Economics 2 September 9th, 2013 04:28 PM
Ron Paul says we past the point of no return on the Fiscal Cliff. chris7375 Economics 30 January 7th, 2013 01:13 PM
An interesting point. David Philosophy 27 July 2nd, 2012 11:02 AM
Whats the point of religion? David McHenry Religion 38 May 27th, 2010 12:08 PM
Tibetans protesting the 17 Point Agreement of 1951. irahat Current Events 0 May 23rd, 2010 10:14 AM


Facebook Twitter RSS Feed



Copyright © 2009-2013 Political Fray. All rights reserved.