The Political Fray - Political Forum
Go Back   Political Fray > The Political Fray > Philosophy

Philosophy Philosophy discussion about everything from politics to daily living to ethics and morals


Thanks Tree26Thanks
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old November 10th, 2017, 03:55 PM   #41
Senator
 
numan's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2016
From: Victoria, BC
Posts: 954

Quote:
Originally Posted by David View Post
That's not how human emotions work. You know this so drop the faux outrage.
Then I guess my emotions are not human, because that is how my emotions work.
.
numan is offline  
Old November 10th, 2017, 07:59 PM   #42
Vice President
 
David's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2009
From: Opa Locka
Posts: 5,494

Quote:
Originally Posted by numan View Post
Then I guess my emotions are not human, because that is how my emotions work.
.
You'd be suicidal if you actually got broken up by EVERY death. Cut the crap, I can't take you seriously with such hyperbole.
Thanks from arcturus88, tecoyah and Polydectes
David is online now  
Old November 12th, 2017, 02:17 PM   #43
Senator
 
numan's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2016
From: Victoria, BC
Posts: 954

Quote:
Originally Posted by David View Post
You'd be suicidal if you actually got broken up by EVERY death. Cut the crap, I can't take you seriously with such hyperbole.
I can have strong emotions without being "broken-up" by the childish, sentimental crap which is brainwashed into most Americans by Hollyweird propaganda.
.
Thanks from Iolo
numan is offline  
Old November 12th, 2017, 02:46 PM   #44
Secretary of State
 
tecoyah's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2012
From: Louisville, Ky
Posts: 3,460

Quote:
Originally Posted by numan View Post
I can have strong emotions without being "broken-up" by the childish, sentimental crap which is brainwashed into most Americans by Hollyweird propaganda.
.
It would seem your "strong emotions" are primarily a hatred for the United States.
"Originally Posted by numan
And yet the Satanic War Machine of the United States government rackets around the world murdering millions of innocent civilians, torturing them, starving them, denying them shelter and medical help --- and yet, all this elicits no similar outrage in most people."

One would hope you understand the same can be said of every country on Earth that has a military and position of power.
tecoyah is online now  
Old November 12th, 2017, 03:39 PM   #45
Senator
 
numan's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2016
From: Victoria, BC
Posts: 954

Quote:
Originally Posted by tecoyah View Post
"Originally Posted by numan
And yet the Satanic War Machine of the United States government rackets around the world murdering millions of innocent civilians, torturing them, starving them, denying them shelter and medical help --- and yet, all this elicits no similar outrage in most people."

One would hope you understand the same can be said of every country on Earth that has a military and position of power.
Well, I guess it can be said that you are making progress if you can admit that the controllers of the US Satanic War Machine are behaving like monsters.
.
numan is offline  
Old November 12th, 2017, 04:10 PM   #46
Secretary of State
 
tecoyah's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2012
From: Louisville, Ky
Posts: 3,460

Quote:
Originally Posted by numan View Post
Well, I guess it can be said that you are making progress if you can admit that the controllers of the US Satanic War Machine are behaving like monsters.
.
Why would I need to make progress toward something you deign worthy when I am being critical of it?
tecoyah is online now  
Old November 16th, 2017, 06:25 AM   #47
Representative
 
Iolo's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2011
From: Rhondda, Cymru
Posts: 465

Quote:
Originally Posted by arcturus88 View Post
I've never understood this. It is like 'battles' with cancer, a trick with language.
Iolo is offline  
Old November 16th, 2017, 06:30 AM   #48
Representative
 
Iolo's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2011
From: Rhondda, Cymru
Posts: 465

Quote:
Originally Posted by tecoyah View Post
It would seem your "strong emotions" are primarily a hatred for the United States.
"Originally Posted by numan
And yet the Satanic War Machine of the United States government rackets around the world murdering millions of innocent civilians, torturing them, starving them, denying them shelter and medical help --- and yet, all this elicits no similar outrage in most people."

One would hope you understand the same can be said of every country on Earth that has a military and position of power.
Isn't it weird how no right-wing American can discuss anything much without chucking around the world 'hatred'? They seem terribly sick from out here.
Thanks from tecoyah and numan
Iolo is offline  
Old November 16th, 2017, 05:33 PM   #49
Senator
 
numan's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2016
From: Victoria, BC
Posts: 954

'
THE UNITED STATES OF HYSTERIA

One of the many pleasant aspects of the place where I now live is the refreshing absence of tetchy, overblown "patriotism". There are few, if any, acre-sized Canadian flags blowing in the wind, no "Canada: Love it or leave it" slogans, no bumper stickers saying, "God, guts and guns made Canada what it is." In Canada or England, if you criticize the country, people are likely just to agree with you! If they think you are incorrect in your criticism, Canadians are likely to change the subject, as you would to distract the attention of a slightly retarded child; Englishmen will just smile, and think, "What can you expect of a foreigner?" But Americans all too often seem to have a trace of hysteria in their character, and, when criticized, become tetchy, belligerent and hostile.

Of course, jingoistic tetchiness exists in many countries, but I find the American variety particularly silly and tiresome, perhaps because it is the variety I have had to deal with all my life. It is very pleasant, in my sunset years, to be living in a place where it is absent.

I have been told that I should praise America, rather than criticize it! That is not going to happen: there were things worthy of praise in Nazi Germany, but praise of those aspects of the German polity would have been misplaced whilst the Nazis were in power.

Then I have been told, in tones of revelation, that Canada has its problems, too! That logical fallacy is so common that it has a name: to quoque, "you, too!" That Canada also has problems is irrelevant when one is discussing America's problems.

Then I have been told that since I no longer live in the US, that I have no right to criticize it! If I am to take this as an example of American respect for freedom of opinion and expression, then I ought to re-double my criticism! Moreover, I am not a Saint Francis, who, reportedly, went around kissing lepers as an exercise in loving all of God's creatures. I feel no compulsion to love and respect fools, nor do I feel that it would improve my character to spend any more time around them than I need to. I will only make myself uncomfortable for those whom I respect.

It is implied that it is "mean" to point out evils to people who know about them, but can do little or nothing about them. But my remarks are not meant for such people; they are aimed at people who have facts staring them in the face, but refuse to look at them!

By the way, if there are great evils in your country which you cannot fight and change, it indicates that you do not have much freedom or power as citizens, nor does it support the notion that your Constitution is worthy of much respect.

In the modern world, the power of the United States, and its irrationality, make it every bit as dangerous as Nazi Germany was in its time --- more dangerous, if one considers the future effects of our actions on the ecological balances which we are destroying. To ignore the evils of American society is to betray Nature, Life, and Humanity.

If I were one to toot my own horn, I might point out that my insistence on criticizing what is wrong with America could be seen as an indication that I am more patriotic than most Americans, not less. Since I dislike self-praise, I will not do so.
.
Thanks from Iolo
numan is offline  
Old November 16th, 2017, 09:55 PM   #50
Vice President
 
David's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2009
From: Opa Locka
Posts: 5,494

Quote:
Originally Posted by numan View Post
'
THE UNITED STATES OF HYSTERIA

One of the many pleasant aspects of the place where I now live is the refreshing absence of tetchy, overblown "patriotism". There are few, if any, acre-sized Canadian flags blowing in the wind, no "Canada: Love it or leave it" slogans, no bumper stickers saying, "God, guts and guns made Canada what it is." In Canada or England, if you criticize the country, people are likely just to agree with you! If they think you are incorrect in your criticism, Canadians are likely to change the subject, as you would to distract the attention of a slightly retarded child; Englishmen will just smile, and think, "What can you expect of a foreigner?" But Americans all too often seem to have a trace of hysteria in their character, and, when criticized, become tetchy, belligerent and hostile.

Of course, jingoistic tetchiness exists in many countries, but I find the American variety particularly silly and tiresome, perhaps because it is the variety I have had to deal with all my life. It is very pleasant, in my sunset years, to be living in a place where it is absent.

I have been told that I should praise America, rather than criticize it! That is not going to happen: there were things worthy of praise in Nazi Germany, but praise of those aspects of the German polity would have been misplaced whilst the Nazis were in power.

Then I have been told, in tones of revelation, that Canada has its problems, too! That logical fallacy is so common that it has a name: to quoque, "you, too!" That Canada also has problems is irrelevant when one is discussing America's problems.

Then I have been told that since I no longer live in the US, that I have no right to criticize it! If I am to take this as an example of American respect for freedom of opinion and expression, then I ought to re-double my criticism! Moreover, I am not a Saint Francis, who, reportedly, went around kissing lepers as an exercise in loving all of God's creatures. I feel no compulsion to love and respect fools, nor do I feel that it would improve my character to spend any more time around them than I need to. I will only make myself uncomfortable for those whom I respect.

It is implied that it is "mean" to point out evils to people who know about them, but can do little or nothing about them. But my remarks are not meant for such people; they are aimed at people who have facts staring them in the face, but refuse to look at them!

By the way, if there are great evils in your country which you cannot fight and change, it indicates that you do not have much freedom or power as citizens, nor does it support the notion that your Constitution is worthy of much respect.

In the modern world, the power of the United States, and its irrationality, make it every bit as dangerous as Nazi Germany was in its time --- more dangerous, if one considers the future effects of our actions on the ecological balances which we are destroying. To ignore the evils of American society is to betray Nature, Life, and Humanity.

If I were one to toot my own horn, I might point out that my insistence on criticizing what is wrong with America could be seen as an indication that I am more patriotic than most Americans, not less. Since I dislike self-praise, I will not do so.
.
We conquered the world (and I mean that literally) a bit over 7 decades ago, within living memory. We smashed dozens of NA nations, crushed a rebellion of a scale few other nations can claim to have dealt with and survived and subsumed the French AND Spanish Empires without even trying (especially France, we only wanted a city lol) in the 150 years before that in the name of Manifest Destiny. Criticism of our conduct in those conquests is fair but America is objectively the fastest growing, richest and most powerful empire to ever exist up to this point in history. Unless stuchly anti-Imperialist, an American has a justified sense of superiority so acting indigent comes off as sour grapes more than a legitimate criticism.

Questioning American pride is like wondering why the Romans were so full of themselves during the Pax Romana or questioning the Chinese pompous reaction to 1st contact with Europe as they ruled over the largest and oldest continuous empire in history up to that point and sat on more gold and silver than all of Europe (and it's colonies) combined. By all means give the warning that all that goes up ends up coming down but there is little logic to criticizing someone for thinking they're on top as they're sitting on the throne.
Thanks from arcturus88 and tecoyah
David is online now  
Old November 18th, 2017, 04:39 PM   #51
Senator
 
numan's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2016
From: Victoria, BC
Posts: 954

'
pride goeth before a fall
.
numan is offline  
Old November 18th, 2017, 09:12 PM   #52
Vice President
 
David's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2009
From: Opa Locka
Posts: 5,494

Quote:
Originally Posted by numan View Post
'
pride goeth before a fall
.
As I said, fair warning. Lamenting the superiority complex of people WHILE THEY'RE ON TOP however is illogical and is nothing more than sour grapes.
David is online now  
Reply

  Political Fray > The Political Fray > Philosophy

Tags
death , struggle



Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
The Death of the Republic numan Government and Politics 4 July 19th, 2017 12:33 PM
Life after Death? GunnedDown Religion 13 June 22nd, 2017 05:07 PM
the struggle with death arcturus88 Philosophy 6 May 9th, 2016 12:19 PM
discovering death arcturus88 Philosophy 23 February 9th, 2014 02:48 PM
Death of princess Diana. mike21 Conspiracy Theories 16 April 14th, 2009 11:53 PM


Facebook Twitter RSS Feed



Copyright © 2009-2013 Political Fray. All rights reserved.