The Political Fray - Political Forum
Go Back   Political Fray > The Political Fray > Religion

Religion For discussion about different religions and belief structures - Please be respectful of other's beliefs


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old April 17th, 2010, 03:01 PM   #1
Intern
 
Joined: Apr 2010
Posts: 24

Is Religion accepting Science?

From the latest I've heard, religions are now starting to look upon science as a way of describing Gods work, rather than its enemy - I guess this is because it makes religion seem to make more sense.

Forgetting the film Angels & Demons, there doesn't appear to be many 'attacks' between science and religion either. Is this people accepting other peoples' opinions more? Or Religion accepting Science? It may be possible that slanderous attacks on the work in CERN being unsafe could be by religious folks though.

This is a very vague topic so I expect varied posts
Astonix is offline  
Old April 17th, 2010, 03:08 PM   #2
myp
Founding Father
 
myp's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2009
From: us
Posts: 5,841

I would disagree in that there aren't still conflicts- there are plenty. As for organized religion accepting science, I wouldn't say they are openly accepting it, so much as being forced to because of the mounting evidence against them in certain areas such as evolution. Historically, they have always been forced to concede when science managed to provide substantial proof- the Earth being the center of the universe is an example.
myp is offline  
Old April 18th, 2010, 05:23 AM   #3
Intern
 
Joined: Apr 2010
Posts: 24

Hm, despite the 'retreats' by religion they still seem to think it is real? Despite constantly being disproved by scientific researches. I'd say religion knows it's a battle they can't win so have given up fighting and merely cling on to those people who fear the unknown.

Most religious conflicts today aren't towards science, but towards other religions, for example Islamic people in the UK.
Astonix is offline  
Old April 18th, 2010, 09:29 AM   #4
Anarchist
 
Dirk's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2009
From: Disunited Queendom
Posts: 1,944

Haha, you're just hearing about the reasonably sane religious people, then. Creationists still exist, for one thing.



Quote:
Originally Posted by Astonix View Post
Islamic people in the UK.
Yes, absolutely, but i think we're in danger of forgetting that a couple of decades ago, it was my family fighting on the streets. And that sentiment isn't gone from society yet, either.
Dirk is offline  
Old May 11th, 2010, 01:23 PM   #5
Intern
 
Joined: May 2010
Posts: 15

religion can't usually win arguments with scientific fact I think they understand and appreciate some of it. But some things about religion like bible stories don't follow science.
Andrew11 is offline  
Old May 11th, 2010, 09:36 PM   #6
Analyst
 
prasanth5's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2010
Posts: 73

It is good if religion and science go together. Great thinkers of the past like Albert Eeinstein have thought like that and spoke like that.
prasanth5 is offline  
Old May 12th, 2010, 04:06 AM   #7
Representative
 
GekiDan's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2009
From: Philippines
Posts: 416

Science and religion are two different things.
But as far as I know, religion doesn't contradicts all of scientific explanations.
Honestly, not all things can be explained thoroughly by science alone.
GekiDan is offline  
Old May 13th, 2010, 09:15 AM   #8
Analyst
 
prasanth5's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2010
Posts: 73

In the confluence of science and religion man finds supreme bliss. Scientific truths pave the way for materialistic life where as religious truths pave the way for spiritual life.
prasanth5 is offline  
Old May 13th, 2010, 10:27 AM   #9
Intern
 
Joined: May 2010
Posts: 15

I think that religion will have to except science, because the more scientist find out about the earth and the big bang it will start to really hurt the churches and other religions. So that is why the two should work together.
lorcan is offline  
Old May 15th, 2010, 08:03 AM   #10
Analyst
 
prasanth5's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2010
Posts: 73

Absolutely right. Of they work together many of the social and other problems can be put to rest. Can we call it 'science of religion' then?
prasanth5 is offline  
Old May 17th, 2010, 05:43 PM   #11
Anarchist
 
Dirk's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2009
From: Disunited Queendom
Posts: 1,944

Quote:
Originally Posted by GekiDan View Post
Honestly, not all things can be explained thoroughly by science alone.
What do you mean by this? If you are encompassing empiricism and the scientific method, I think you are wrong.
Dirk is offline  
Old May 18th, 2010, 05:38 AM   #12
Representative
 
GekiDan's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2009
From: Philippines
Posts: 416

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirk View Post
What do you mean by this? If you are encompassing empiricism and the scientific method, I think you are wrong.
Well, I know that there are theories in all that's happening to us but there are things that can't still be explain fully by science alone.
Take for instance some unknown diseases that doesn't have any cure or known origin.
GekiDan is offline  
Old May 18th, 2010, 09:28 AM   #13
Anarchist
 
Dirk's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2009
From: Disunited Queendom
Posts: 1,944

Quote:
Originally Posted by GekiDan View Post
Well, I know that there are theories in all that's happening to us but there are things that can't still be explain fully by science alone.
Take for instance some unknown diseases that doesn't have any cure or known origin.
Ah! I see. I was concerned for a moment.

You mean that we don't know everything. Of course not, but we're finding out new things all the time. And the only true way to cure these diseases is through scientific progress.
Dirk is offline  
Old May 21st, 2010, 04:01 AM   #14
Representative
 
GekiDan's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2009
From: Philippines
Posts: 416

Have you heard about quack doctors or faith healers?
There are some diseases or abnormalities that can be cured by them. Most of it cannot be cured by doctors themselves.
But honestly, I don't really believe in them. Maybe it's just pure luck. :P
GekiDan is offline  
Old May 22nd, 2010, 03:05 AM   #15
Analyst
 
Joined: May 2010
Posts: 56

Science can prove things and I'm not against it. However, science can go to a particular extent in understand nature. There are some things that even science cannot explain. What does that say about all the theories a coupe of people have cracked up about Scientology as a religion when even some of the most basic principles are not clear.

I don't mean to offend but these are my opinions.
alexmike is offline  
Old May 23rd, 2010, 06:16 PM   #16
Anarchist
 
Dirk's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2009
From: Disunited Queendom
Posts: 1,944

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexmike View Post
Science can prove things and I'm not against it. However, science can go to a particular extent in understand nature. There are some things that even science cannot explain...
...Yet.

Quote:
What does that say about all the theories a coupe of people have cracked up about Scientology as a religion when even some of the most basic principles are not clear.

I don't mean to offend but these are my opinions.
From what I gather, Scientology is completely nuts.

I don't pretend to know a great amount, but from what I've seen, the beliefs are pure science fiction!
Dirk is offline  
Reply

  Political Fray > The Political Fray > Religion

Tags
accepting , religion , science



Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
The science of gun crimes myp Government and Politics 261 January 15th, 2013 07:21 PM
US students lag in math, science myp Current Events 34 December 24th, 2012 07:59 AM
Abortion: Science or Legalisms CatholicCrusader Philosophy 47 June 16th, 2012 08:47 AM


Facebook Twitter RSS Feed



Copyright © 2009-2013 Political Fray. All rights reserved.