The Political Fray - Political Forum
Go Back   Political Fray > The Political Fray > Religion

Religion For discussion about different religions and belief structures - Please be respectful of other's beliefs


Thanks Tree13Thanks
Closed Thread
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old December 26th, 2012, 04:02 PM   #1
Senator
 
Protectionist's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2012
From: Florida
Posts: 677

Is Islam a Religion

Is Islam a Religion ?

This may come as a surprise to some, but there are millions of people around the world who do not accept the idea of Islam being a religion. The phrase >> "Islam - Not a religion" gets 191 Million results in a Google search.

If everyone who has lived over the past 1400 years could be asked, the results might possibly be in the Billions. Many people question Islam's ability to be a religion because of one primary factor. It's heavy content of immoral behavior. According to my dictionary (Webster's New World College Dictionary, 4th ed.), a religion not only is a system of beliefs and worship, it also carries a code of ethics as well. How can Islam possibly fit into this ? - when its Koran is chock full of terrible UNethics such as wife-beating (4:34), pedophilia (65:4), slavery (33:50), rape (2:223, 4:24), genocide (8:12, 9:5, 9:73, 9:123), and animal cruelty/killing (2:125, 22:27-28), among other things.

Some people say that religion was added to Islam (an ideology) just to shield it from criticism because of all this undesirable baggage. And that when the founders of it were espousing imperialist genocidal mass murder, extreme misogyny, rape, pedophilia, kidnapping/slavery, torture/mutilation, racial and sexist discrimination, animal cruelty/killing, and other vile things, and were looking for troops to join them in their conquests throughout Asia Minor, they needed something very powerful and extreme to offset and shield them from the severe condemnation they knew they were sure to get.

The answer was religion. By pretending that the Koran, and all of its hatred and immorality was the word of God, they forced the people to accept it. After all, nobody wants to go against God do they ? As this grandiose con job spread, over time, it became deeper and deeper entrenched as a religion, and more and more difficult to abolish or reform.
And it spread only because the murderous Muslim marauders who spread it, killed 270 million people around the world to do that. Many, if not most, Muslims living today, trace their ancestry back to people who were non-Muslims and were forced to become Muslims.

This point of view is a debateable one.

http://www.islam-watch.org/IW/aboutus.htm

http://www.canadafreepress.com/index.php/article/27211

http://newenglishreview.org/Rebecca_...ot_a_Religion/

http://www.islamreview.com/articles/...religion.shtml

http://catchkevin.com/islam-not-protected/

http://www.thecatholicthing.org/colu...-religion.html

http://blogs.ssrc.org/tif/2010/07/28...ot-a-religion/

http://thepatriotfactor.blogspot.com...-religion.html

http://www.awsg.us/islam-is-not-a-religion/

http://www.reddit.com/r/atheism/comm...her_heres_why/

Last edited by Protectionist; December 26th, 2012 at 04:06 PM.
Protectionist is offline  
Old December 26th, 2012, 04:08 PM   #2
myp
Founding Father
 
myp's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2009
From: us
Posts: 5,841

Yes, Islam is a religion. Quite similar to Christianity and Judaism, actually.

Also, moving this to the religion subforum.
myp is offline  
Old December 26th, 2012, 04:28 PM   #3
Representative
 
Mermaid's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2012
From: space
Posts: 121

Quote:
Originally Posted by Protectionist View Post
Is Islam a Religion ?

This may come as a surprise to some, but there are millions of people around the world who do not accept the idea of Islam being a religion. The phrase >> "Islam - Not a religion" gets 191 Million results in a Google search.

If everyone who has lived over the past 1400 years could be asked, the results might possibly be in the Billions. Many people question Islam's ability to be a religion because of one primary factor. It's heavy content of immoral behavior. According to my dictionary (Webster's New World College Dictionary, 4th ed.), a religion not only is a system of beliefs and worship, it also carries a code of ethics as well. How can Islam possibly fit into this ? - when its Koran is chock full of terrible UNethics such as wife-beating (4:34), pedophilia (65:4), slavery (33:50), rape (2:223, 4:24), genocide (8:12, 9:5, 9:73, 9:123), and animal cruelty/killing (2:125, 22:27-28), among other things.

Some people say that religion was added to Islam (an ideology) just to shield it from criticism because of all this undesirable baggage. And that when the founders of it were espousing imperialist genocidal mass murder, extreme misogyny, rape, pedophilia, kidnapping/slavery, torture/mutilation, racial and sexist discrimination, animal cruelty/killing, and other vile things, and were looking for troops to join them in their conquests throughout Asia Minor, they needed something very powerful and extreme to offset and shield them from the severe condemnation they knew they were sure to get.

The answer was religion. By pretending that the Koran, and all of its hatred and immorality was the word of God, they forced the people to accept it. After all, nobody wants to go against God do they ? As this grandiose con job spread, over time, it became deeper and deeper entrenched as a religion, and more and more difficult to abolish or reform.
And it spread only because the murderous Muslim marauders who spread it, killed 270 million people around the world to do that. Many, if not most, Muslims living today, trace their ancestry back to people who were non-Muslims and were forced to become Muslims.

This point of view is a debateable one.

http://www.islam-watch.org/IW/aboutus.htm

http://www.canadafreepress.com/index.php/article/27211

http://newenglishreview.org/Rebecca_...ot_a_Religion/

http://www.islamreview.com/articles/...religion.shtml

http://catchkevin.com/islam-not-protected/

http://www.thecatholicthing.org/colu...-religion.html

http://blogs.ssrc.org/tif/2010/07/28...ot-a-religion/

http://thepatriotfactor.blogspot.com...-religion.html

http://www.awsg.us/islam-is-not-a-religion/

http://www.reddit.com/r/atheism/comm...her_heres_why/
what ??..................

do you want me to remind you of the black slavery in usa ?

or the holocaust committed by non muslims ?

what about the number of bacons consumed in usa ?


..ok forget it............

Last edited by Mermaid; December 26th, 2012 at 04:32 PM.
Mermaid is offline  
Old December 26th, 2012, 04:48 PM   #4
Senator
 
Protectionist's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2012
From: Florida
Posts: 677

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mermaid View Post
what ??..................

do you want me to remind you of the black slavery in usa ?

or the holocaust committed by non muslims ?

what about the number of bacons consumed in usa ?


..ok forget it............
Sounds easy to forget. Better if there was some substance in the post related to the OP. Never hurts to be on TOPIC.
Protectionist is offline  
Old December 26th, 2012, 04:51 PM   #5
Senator
 
Protectionist's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2012
From: Florida
Posts: 677

Quote:
Originally Posted by myp View Post
Yes, Islam is a religion. Quite similar to Christianity and Judaism, actually.

Also, moving this to the religion subforum.
So would you dispute the code of ethics discrepancy, then ? (Noting that some people may not accept the code of ethics notion as a prerequisite for the definition of a religion. Some do. Some don't.

PS - the "UNethics" I listed in the OP do NOT apply to Christianity. Of those, it is not similar to Islam.

Last edited by Protectionist; December 26th, 2012 at 04:54 PM.
Protectionist is offline  
Old December 26th, 2012, 04:55 PM   #6
Secretary of State
 
tecoyah's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2012
From: Louisville, Ky
Posts: 3,476

Yes...it as much a religion as any.
tecoyah is online now  
Old December 26th, 2012, 07:46 PM   #7
Vice President
 
David's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2009
From: Opa Locka
Posts: 5,503

Ethics are subjective (and only by cherry picking are Islams ethics any different then the ethics of any Abrahamic religion).
David is offline  
Old December 26th, 2012, 10:06 PM   #8
Senator
 
Protectionist's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2012
From: Florida
Posts: 677

Quote:
Originally Posted by David View Post
Ethics are subjective (and only by cherry picking are Islams ethics any different then the ethics of any Abrahamic religion).
Cherry picking. And that's supposed to be a bad thing ? Well, if calling the things that 99% of Americans would say are unethical (subjective my ass), are cherry picking", then "cherry picking" must be perfectly OK. Because no matter how you or any Islamapologist, or any Islamist, or anybody tries to spin it, you're not going to turn wife-beating (Koran 4:34) into an acceptable thing. It happens to be ILLEGAL in every state of the US. That's a FACT (not one bit subjective).

Same thing goes for pedophilia (Koran 65:4), rape (Koran 2:223), slavery (Koran 33:50), and all the rest of the objectively, vile and ILLEGAL (under US law) things endorsed in the Koran and/or Hadiths.
Protectionist is offline  
Old December 27th, 2012, 10:02 AM   #9
Intern
 
Joined: Dec 2012
Posts: 5

You claim that Islam isn't a religion because you are not muslim. This the funniest allegation i've ever heard.
Trustme is offline  
Old December 27th, 2012, 08:49 PM   #10
Vice President
 
David's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2009
From: Opa Locka
Posts: 5,503

Quote:
Originally Posted by Protectionist View Post
Cherry picking. And that's supposed to be a bad thing ? Well, if calling the things that 99% of Americans would say are unethical (subjective my ass), are cherry picking", then "cherry picking" must be perfectly OK. Because no matter how you or any Islamapologist, or any Islamist, or anybody tries to spin it, you're not going to turn wife-beating (Koran 4:34) into an acceptable thing. It happens to be ILLEGAL in every state of the US. That's a FACT (not one bit subjective).

Same thing goes for pedophilia (Koran 65:4), rape (Koran 2:223), slavery (Koran 33:50), and all the rest of the objectively, vile and ILLEGAL (under US law) things endorsed in the Koran and/or Hadiths.
And the Bible...
David is offline  
Old December 28th, 2012, 05:36 AM   #11
Representative
 
Mermaid's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2012
From: space
Posts: 121

Quote:
Originally Posted by Protectionist View Post
Sounds easy to forget. Better if there was some substance in the post related to the OP. Never hurts to be on TOPIC.

okay you have no answer !
Mermaid is offline  
Old December 28th, 2012, 05:38 AM   #12
Representative
 
Mermaid's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2012
From: space
Posts: 121

Quote:
Originally Posted by Protectionist View Post
So would you dispute the code of ethics discrepancy, then ? (Noting that some people may not accept the code of ethics notion as a prerequisite for the definition of a religion. Some do. Some don't.

PS - the "UNethics" I listed in the OP do NOT apply to Christianity. Of those, it is not similar to Islam.
really ?

did bible abolish slavery or meat consumption ?

l hate extremities and bigotism..


Mermaid is offline  
Old December 28th, 2012, 07:20 AM   #13
Senator
 
Protectionist's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2012
From: Florida
Posts: 677

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trustme View Post
You claim that Islam isn't a religion because you are not muslim. This the funniest allegation i've ever heard.
1. I didn't claim Islam is not a religion. I claimed that millions of people around the world claim that, and that is a FACT, not an allegation, and it doesn't matter if you think it's funny or not.

2. Whether I'm Muslim or not has nothing to do with it. Many of the people who claim that Islam is not a religion are ex-Muslims. Try clicking the links and reading them.
Protectionist is offline  
Old December 28th, 2012, 07:22 AM   #14
Senator
 
Protectionist's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2012
From: Florida
Posts: 677

Quote:
Originally Posted by David View Post
And the Bible...
FALSE! If you're referring to the Christian bible. The vile things I listed which are advocated in the koran are not advocated in the Christian bible.
Protectionist is offline  
Old December 28th, 2012, 07:27 AM   #15
Senator
 
Protectionist's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2012
From: Florida
Posts: 677

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mermaid View Post
okay you have no answer !
There is no answer because there is no question, and nothing you said is on the TOPIC. I don't go off the topic just to suit you. If you want to talk about those OFF TOPIC subjects, I suppose you can find your way to the "New Thread" button, but you won't get me to accept your OFF TOPIC post in this thread.
Protectionist is offline  
Old December 28th, 2012, 07:29 AM   #16
Representative
 
Mermaid's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2012
From: space
Posts: 121

you are attacking a religion ,not discussing an issue here.........

l am asking again
really ?

did bible abolish slavery or meat consumption ?

l hate extremities and bigotism..
Mermaid is offline  
Old December 28th, 2012, 07:30 AM   #17
Senator
 
Protectionist's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2012
From: Florida
Posts: 677

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mermaid View Post
really ?

did bible abolish slavery or meat consumption ?

l hate extremities and bigotism..


If you're talking about the Christian bible I don't know of anywhere in it that it advocates slavery (but the Koran does). As for meat consumption, I don't even know what you're talking about (or care).

PS- if you hate extremities and bigotism, you must hate Islam. Nothing is more extreme or bigoted than that.
Protectionist is offline  
Old December 28th, 2012, 07:34 AM   #18
Representative
 
Mermaid's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2012
From: space
Posts: 121

Quote:
Originally Posted by Protectionist View Post
If you're talking about the Christian bible I don't know of anywhere in it that it advocates slavery (but the Koran does). As for meat consumption, I don't even know what you're talking about (or care).

PS- if you hate extremities and bigotism, you must hate Islam. Nothing is more extreme or bigoted than that.

is there a muslim bible *

bible never advises you to release your slaves,dont you know this ?

you cant justify a religion by attacking another one without enough knowledge

and yes , be a vegetarian and then criticize islam for causing animal cruelty

you understand what l mean ,dont pretend to misunderstand the point..
Mermaid is offline  
Old December 28th, 2012, 12:08 PM   #19
Vice President
 
David's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2009
From: Opa Locka
Posts: 5,503

Quote:
Originally Posted by Protectionist View Post
FALSE! If you're referring to the Christian bible. The vile things I listed which are advocated in the koran are not advocated in the Christian bible.
The 'Christian Bible' (What other kind is there?) tells Christians to burn witches, stone gays (only gays, lesbians are cool apparently) and adulterers, not eat pork, not where mixed fabrics, etc. And don't pull the 'OT doesn't count' BS, it's 1/2 the bible, most of the stuff Christians condemn would be acceptable if the OT got thrown out as it's prohibitions are the source of their moral outrage and Jesus flat out said he was all for the Law of Moses (aka Torah/OT) and had no intention of changing it.
David is offline  
Old December 28th, 2012, 02:48 PM   #20
Senator
 
Protectionist's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2012
From: Florida
Posts: 677

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mermaid View Post
is there a muslim bible *

bible never advises you to release your slaves,dont you know this ?

you cant justify a religion by attacking another one without enough knowledge

and yes , be a vegetarian and then criticize islam for causing animal cruelty

you understand what l mean ,dont pretend to misunderstand the point..
1. You change the subject. Is that a technique of dodging what I'm saying ? I said "If you're talking about the Christian bible I don't know of anywhere in it that it advocates slavery (but the Koran does).

2. I am not justifying any religion, nor am I attacking any religion.

3. You do have somewhat of a point about being a vegetarian, but one does not need to be a vegetarian to criticize Islam for Eid al Adha, and it's Koranic backing in 2:125 and 22:27-28. At least when people eat meat, they are doing it to sustain themselves, and not for some perverted conception of "sacrifice", which Eid al Adha has nothing whatsoever to do with. In fact, many Muslims who kill innocent animals on Eid al Adha derive pleasure from it like these idiots:

http://www.barenakedislam.com/2012/1...ing-animals-4/

4. I don't "pretend" anything, ever.
Protectionist is offline  
Closed Thread

  Political Fray > The Political Fray > Religion

Tags
islam , religion



Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Religion, God, and politics clax Religion 5 November 10th, 2012 05:51 PM
Jesus vs. Religion myp Religion 43 August 11th, 2012 05:55 AM
How many religion in your country? andre2410 Religion 54 January 4th, 2012 07:20 PM
Report: 92% of Afghans don?t know about 9/11; 40% think US out to destroy Islam cartouch100 Current Events 1 November 22nd, 2010 01:54 PM
Our right to religion Right Guard Government and Politics 25 September 27th, 2009 09:07 AM


Facebook Twitter RSS Feed



Copyright © 2009-2013 Political Fray. All rights reserved.