The Political Fray - Political Forum
Go Back   Political Fray > The Political Fray > Religion

Religion For discussion about different religions and belief structures - Please be respectful of other's beliefs


Thanks Tree23Thanks
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old May 17th, 2016, 01:19 PM   #41
Governor
 
arcturus88's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2012
From: NC
Posts: 1,449

Quote:
Originally Posted by David View Post
No, I'm talking about the beatings in Russia and ethnic/sectarian cleansing in Africa. Don't act as if calling out militant Christians is somehow a defence of militant Muslims. That's a favorite strategy of Christian apologists and it doesn't work on me.

let's stick to facts and data (ie not what's in bold).
now be a dear, and post a link detailing these horrible Christian crimes.
arcturus88 is offline  
Old May 17th, 2016, 01:24 PM   #42
Secretary of State
 
tecoyah's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2012
From: Louisville, Ky
Posts: 3,456

Quote:
Originally Posted by arcturus88 View Post
One can still be an atheist or liberal while observing honest differences. it's critical thinking.

imagine a scientist studying chemicals, diseases, or language and sweeping all the nuances of difference under the rug for the sake of some false equality.
Chemicals, Diseases, or language are all aspects of physical reality that are of direct concern to every person and effect their lives. Religion is only a reality because it has been turned into one by the religious and the effects it has on those who are not religious or of another version are generally negative to society and life. When harm comes about because of personal opinion the opinion should be rejected ....PERIOD.
Can you imagine any other group of people in the western world deciding to eliminate the rights of half the population because they "Think" they should?
tecoyah is online now  
Old May 17th, 2016, 01:44 PM   #43
Vice President
 
David's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2009
From: Opa Locka
Posts: 5,485

Quote:
Originally Posted by arcturus88 View Post
let's stick to facts and data (ie not what's in bold).
now be a dear, and post a link detailing these horrible Christian crimes.
Considering the bolded was in response to you doing that very thing, it falls quite clearly into the realm of fact.

But I'll play along with your attempted doge:
From Russia. (A video, so be ready to see things actually happen.)
From Africa.

So, you were saying?
Thanks from tecoyah
David is offline  
Old May 18th, 2016, 05:24 AM   #44
Governor
 
arcturus88's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2012
From: NC
Posts: 1,449

Quote:
Originally Posted by tecoyah View Post
Chemicals, Diseases, or language are all aspects of physical reality that are of direct concern to every person and effect their lives. Religion is only a reality because it has been turned into one by the religious and the effects it has on those who are not religious or of another version are generally negative to society and life. When harm comes about because of personal opinion the opinion should be rejected ....PERIOD.
Can you imagine any other group of people in the western world deciding to eliminate the rights of half the population because they "Think" they should?
the only thing I am countering is the assertion made that "Christianity is just as bad as Islam". In other words they are equal. That doesn't hold water in any realm. You have also measured and compared, indicating that islam is more violent. in other words they are not the same. So on the measure of violence, Christianity is NOT just as bad.
arcturus88 is offline  
Old May 18th, 2016, 06:03 AM   #45
Governor
 
arcturus88's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2012
From: NC
Posts: 1,449

Quote:
Originally Posted by David View Post
Considering the bolded was in response to you doing that very thing, it falls quite clearly into the realm of fact.

But I'll play along with your attempted doge:
From Russia. (A video, so be ready to see things actually happen.)
From Africa.

So, you were saying?
that's it?

In the Russian example, do we know that the assailants who injured the supposed Muslim were Christian? looks more like a drug deal gone bad or some dude telling the mafia he doesn't have their money. Christians or Muslims can rob a bank. It doesn't mean it is a Christian or Islamic crime if they do though.

In the Africa example, it does describe Christians committing violence against Muslims. I'll give you that. Are they doing it in the name of Christ or are they doing it because a Muslim took power by coup in a Christian nation? I don't know. Either way, I never claimed it does not happen, or that it is not wrong when it does...I argue instead against your claim that "Christianity is just as bad"

I know why this cognitive error is so often put out, in fact I playfully called it out over two years ago here:

handling a liberal bible disconnect I

Last edited by arcturus88; May 18th, 2016 at 06:15 AM.
arcturus88 is offline  
Old May 18th, 2016, 06:35 AM   #46
Vice President
 
David's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2009
From: Opa Locka
Posts: 5,485

Quote:
Originally Posted by arcturus88 View Post
that's it?

In the Russian example, do we know that the assailants who injured the supposed Muslim were Christian? looks more like a drug deal gone bad or some dude telling the mafia he doesn't have their money. Christians or Muslims can rob a bank. It doesn't mean it is a Christian or Islamic crime if they do though.

In the Africa example, it does describe Christians committing violence against Muslims. I'll give you that. Are they doing it in the name of Christ or are they doing it because a Muslim took power by coup in a Christian nation? I don't know. Either way, I never claimed it does not happen, or that it is not wrong when it does...I argue instead against your claim that "Christianity is just as bad"

I know why this cognitive error is so often put out, in fact I playfully called it out over two years ago here:

handling a liberal bible disconnect I
It was a Christian shooting a Muslim in the head unprovoked.

Those militias were on a rampage AFTER the Muslim leader had given up power.

And of course that's not it, I'd take me a lifetime to give you a blow by blow.

So again, how are Christian terrorists any better than the Muslims? Just because it's not happening in your backyard doesn't excuse it.
Thanks from Aufgeblassen
David is offline  
Old May 18th, 2016, 07:58 AM   #47
Governor
 
arcturus88's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2012
From: NC
Posts: 1,449

Quote:
Originally Posted by David View Post
It was a Christian shooting a Muslim in the head unprovoked.

You don’t know that. In fact I see no indications of that in the video at all. Like I said, it looks like the guy walks up next to the dudes, words are exchanged and a gun is fired. The guy did not show him his Muslim ID card and then the two say “Ha we will kill you in the name of Christ!”

Quote:
Originally Posted by David View Post
Those militias were on a rampage AFTER the Muslim leader had given up power. And of course that's not it, I'd take me a lifetime to give you a blow by blow.


Actually skirmishes were occurring between the groups, before during and after the leader left, this was just the finale.
Quote:
Originally Posted by David View Post
So again, how are Christian terrorists any better than the Muslims? Just because it's not happening in your backyard doesn't excuse it


Oops, that’s not what’s being debated.
This is…

Quote:
Originally Posted by David View Post
Outside the West, Christians are just as bad.


Quote:
A straw man is a common form of argument and is an informal fallacy based on giving the impression of refuting an opponent's argument, while actually refuting an argument that was not advanced by that opponent

Last edited by arcturus88; May 18th, 2016 at 08:02 AM.
arcturus88 is offline  
Old May 18th, 2016, 08:08 AM   #48
Governor
 
arcturus88's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2012
From: NC
Posts: 1,449

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world...f2a_story.html

Quote:
April 25

A severed head was left Monday on a street in the southern Philippines, authorities said, five hours after a ransom deadline set by Islamist militants holding Western hostages and others. Canada’s prime minister identified the victim as a 68-year-old Canadian.
arcturus88 is offline  
Old June 1st, 2016, 05:48 AM   #49
Governor
 
arcturus88's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2012
From: NC
Posts: 1,449

I am considering a thread dedicated to divine justice. until I decide, I will place this here...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tufnWwV2J5I
arcturus88 is offline  
Old June 1st, 2016, 06:05 AM   #50
Secretary of State
 
tecoyah's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2012
From: Louisville, Ky
Posts: 3,456

Quote:
Originally Posted by arcturus88 View Post
I am considering a thread dedicated to divine justice. until I decide, I will place this here...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tufnWwV2J5I
Should be an interesting thread.
tecoyah is online now  
Old June 7th, 2016, 12:52 PM   #51
Governor
 
arcturus88's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2012
From: NC
Posts: 1,449

Bangladesh Hindu priest murdered by militants - BBC News

A hindu priest hacked to death in Bangladesh.

it was committed , not by radical Christians, but by ....


(wait for it)



radical Islamists.




Quote:
A Hindu priest has been killed in Bangladesh, in the latest attack by Islamist militants. The body of Ananda Gopal Ganguly, 70, was found in a field near his temple in western Jhenaidah district. His head had been nearly severed from his neck. Separately, police have killed three suspected Islamists in a crackdown on extremists blamed for the murders....

Police say more than 40 people have been killed since January last year in the wave of attacks on those seen by extremists as offensive to Islam.
arcturus88 is offline  
Old June 8th, 2016, 01:23 PM   #52
Governor
 
arcturus88's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2012
From: NC
Posts: 1,449

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aufgeblassen View Post
Usually you find what you seek.

yeah.

Here's another attack. probably one of those rascally Christian extremist groups again.

Tel Aviv shooting: 3 killed, hospital says - CNN.com

Quote:
The shooting broke out near one of Tel Aviv's most popular outdoor markets, Israeli police spokesman Micky Rosenfeld said in a statement. At least six people were wounded.One person has been arrested, Rosenfeld reported on his official Twitter account. Police are searching for one suspect, Rosenfeld said.


Information about a motive in the shooting wasn't immediately available.
arcturus88 is offline  
Old December 23rd, 2016, 10:20 AM   #53
Governor
 
arcturus88's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2012
From: NC
Posts: 1,449

Actually this belongs here.

Tecoyah, can you delete the other "savagery" thread?


arcturus88 is offline  
Old September 14th, 2017, 05:55 AM   #54
Governor
 
arcturus88's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2012
From: NC
Posts: 1,449

Roger Scruton lecture. brilliant piece on moral relativism...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l5BXyvMU80Q
arcturus88 is offline  
Old September 14th, 2017, 06:10 AM   #55
Governor
 
arcturus88's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2012
From: NC
Posts: 1,449

bravo. now listen and learn and then respond.


Quote:
Originally Posted by arcturus88 View Post
Roger Scruton lecture. brilliant piece on moral relativism...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l5BXyvMU80Q
arcturus88 is offline  
Old September 14th, 2017, 03:22 PM   #56
Senator
 
numan's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2016
From: Victoria, BC
Posts: 945

Quote:
Originally Posted by arcturus88 View Post
the only thing I am countering is the assertion made that "Christianity is just as bad as Islam". In other words they are equal. That doesn't hold water in any realm. You have also measured and compared, indicating that islam is more violent. in other words they are not the same. So on the measure of violence, Christianity is NOT just as bad.
If we consider the ENTIRE history of Christianity and Islam, it is certainly true that Christians have killed many more people for religious reasons than Moslems ever did.
.
numan is offline  
Old September 14th, 2017, 03:38 PM   #57
Secretary of State
 
tecoyah's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2012
From: Louisville, Ky
Posts: 3,456

Both Islam and Christianity are faith based (no actual reality based data) religious systems primarily focused on controlling a population and eliminating opposition. The level of violence in each has varied and waned over time with Islam being the most violent right now. Regardless, both seek to instill a level of ignorance because they rely on it to exist. Christianity has evolved with the times and worked it's control within the legal framework of western mentality while Islam remains primarily tribal....neither one can lead to increased knowledge or freedom.
Thanks from Aufgeblassen and numan
tecoyah is online now  
Old September 15th, 2017, 10:51 AM   #58
Representative
 
Road Warrior's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2012
From: North Texas
Posts: 318

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aufgeblassen View Post
Obviously, his cheese fell off his cracker very early in life.

In other words, mental illness, rather than he was somehow "possessed by evil". No such trait exists. One has seen too many horror flicks if one believe it does.

Agreed. Most likely a severe, and obviously violent, form of paranoid schizophrenia.
Thanks from Aufgeblassen
Road Warrior is offline  
Old September 15th, 2017, 11:00 AM   #59
Representative
 
Road Warrior's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2012
From: North Texas
Posts: 318

Quote:
Originally Posted by arcturus88 View Post
you don't believe in evil?
Most Christians/Muslims believe "evil" is a force perpetuated by Satan in a battle against God. I disagreed. God is all knowing and all powerful. God created Lucifer knowing what Lucifer would do (if you follow the story literally).

IMHO, "evil" is simply "without God's grace". If God is light, then the opposite is darkness. Per the apocryphal story, Lucifer chooses to move out of God's light and live in darkness.

The deeper question is why are we here? Why did God create a dichotomous universe? Why give man free will? If mankind really does have free will, then doesn't man need two extremes to understand the choices? How can we understand hot if we don't experience cold? Love without hate? Light without darkness?

In Gaskin's case, he's simply mentally ill. No more evil than the 2004 Tsunami that killed over 250,000 human beings. What does it matter as long as eternity awaits? God's promise is not to live pain free but to have everlasting life. Ergo, mass murderers and tsunamis are irrelevant to the bigger picture.
Road Warrior is offline  
Old September 15th, 2017, 11:02 AM   #60
Representative
 
Road Warrior's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2012
From: North Texas
Posts: 318

Quote:
Originally Posted by tecoyah View Post
Both Islam and Christianity are faith based (no actual reality based data) religious systems primarily focused on controlling a population and eliminating opposition. The level of violence in each has varied and waned over time with Islam being the most violent right now. Regardless, both seek to instill a level of ignorance because they rely on it to exist. Christianity has evolved with the times and worked it's control within the legal framework of western mentality while Islam remains primarily tribal....neither one can lead to increased knowledge or freedom.
Disagreed. Religion is a tool for greater spiritual awareness. The fact some men have used it to do exactly what you said is irrelevant.

Religion has given great comfort to far more than it has been used for harm. The same goes for axes, guns, automobiles and other tools which have been misused and harmed others.
Thanks from tecoyah
Road Warrior is offline  
Reply

  Political Fray > The Political Fray > Religion

Tags
evil , existence



Search tags for this page
Click on a term to search for related topics.
Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Is Terrorism a Form of Pure Evil? charleslb Philosophy 13 October 3rd, 2017 01:56 PM
pre-existence of souls? arcturus88 Religion 34 September 20th, 2017 02:46 PM
quarantine of evil arcturus88 Religion 10 January 23rd, 2017 10:10 AM
Do you believe in the existence of atheists? CreaseMonkeyDotCom Religion 26 May 22nd, 2010 03:29 AM
Evil religions? Akuma Religion 7 March 15th, 2009 06:27 PM


Facebook Twitter RSS Feed



Copyright © 2009-2013 Political Fray. All rights reserved.