The Political Fray - Political Forum
Go Back   Political Fray > The Political Fray > Religion

Religion For discussion about different religions and belief structures - Please be respectful of other's beliefs


Thanks Tree23Thanks
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old April 11th, 2016, 05:39 AM   #1
Governor
 
arcturus88's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2012
From: NC
Posts: 1,449

the existence of evil

Crime Library: Donald "Pee Wee" Gaskins | Crime Museum

Please read and indicate what you think these "bothersome feelings" Gaskins described were ?

Last edited by arcturus88; April 11th, 2016 at 08:55 AM.
arcturus88 is offline  
Old April 11th, 2016, 10:50 AM   #2
Governor
 
arcturus88's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2012
From: NC
Posts: 1,449

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aufgeblassen View Post
Obviously, his cheese fell off his cracker very early in life.

In other words, mental illness, rather than he was somehow "possessed by evil". No such trait exists. One has seen too many horror flicks if one believe it does.
you don't believe in evil?
arcturus88 is offline  
Old April 11th, 2016, 12:14 PM   #3
Secretary of State
 
tecoyah's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2012
From: Louisville, Ky
Posts: 3,457

Evil is a term man has created to define incidents unacceptable to one section of society or another. What one considers to be "Evil" another does not...thus is it an arbitrary term.

I personally consider the Pro-Life movement to be unacceptable attempts at forcing opinion on the lives of others...you could call it evil. Those who wish to ban abortion will call me evil for believing as I do.
tecoyah is online now  
Old April 12th, 2016, 06:07 AM   #4
Governor
 
arcturus88's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2012
From: NC
Posts: 1,449

Quote:
Originally Posted by tecoyah View Post
Evil is a term man has created to define incidents unacceptable to one section of society or another. What one considers to be "Evil" another does not...thus is it an arbitrary term.


is the evil detailed in the url above...arbitrary? would you say its evil to some in society and not evil to others?
arcturus88 is offline  
Old April 12th, 2016, 06:11 AM   #5
Governor
 
arcturus88's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2012
From: NC
Posts: 1,449

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aufgeblassen View Post
In other words, mental illness, rather than he was somehow "possessed by evil". No such trait exists.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aufgeblassen View Post
Sure! I have used many of the synonyms for the word...

it exists or it doesn't? please make up your mind.
within two posts you've said it doesn't and then that it does.

arcturus88 is offline  
Old April 28th, 2016, 05:20 AM   #6
Governor
 
arcturus88's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2012
From: NC
Posts: 1,449

another old tale of evil....

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/crim...icle-1.2281387

Quote:
ďItís a rotten world. Thereís no answer to it but meanness. Thatís all anybody understands ó meanness. Burn down the manís barn-heíll understand that. Poison his dog. Kill him.Ē
arcturus88 is offline  
Old April 28th, 2016, 06:40 AM   #7
Secretary of State
 
tecoyah's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2012
From: Louisville, Ky
Posts: 3,457

Quote:
Originally Posted by arcturus88 View Post
is the evil detailed in the url above...arbitrary? would you say its evil to some in society and not evil to others?
Yes....I would. I as a matter of fact would not term this man as evil. He was a mentally screwed up person made eve worse by life circumstances and opportunity. His "Actions" were certainly disturbing and terrible, but the term evil does not come to mind.
Thanks from Aufgeblassen
tecoyah is online now  
Old April 28th, 2016, 06:57 AM   #8
Governor
 
arcturus88's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2012
From: NC
Posts: 1,449

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aufgeblassen View Post

Why are you fixated on evil?

one thread dedicated to noting evidence of evil does not equal fixation. you have more threads than that dedicated to homosexual dreams.

arcturus88 is offline  
Old April 28th, 2016, 07:08 AM   #9
Governor
 
arcturus88's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2012
From: NC
Posts: 1,449

rationalizing and intellectualizing evil reduces reduced one's anxiety, allowing one to feel safer and more in control.

"if I can contain it in this box I am in control and don't have to worry".
arcturus88 is offline  
Old May 1st, 2016, 06:23 PM   #10
Vice President
 
David's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2009
From: Opa Locka
Posts: 5,487

Good and evil are arbitrary constructs used to describe a position on a society's moral compass. The closest you'll come to an objective good/evil is various moral situations in which a view is commonly held across time and culture, ie. murder being evil and charity being good. Even then it's simple coincidence (and hardly universal) rather than a true objective fact.
Thanks from tecoyah and Aufgeblassen
David is offline  
Old May 2nd, 2016, 10:49 AM   #11
Governor
 
arcturus88's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2012
From: NC
Posts: 1,449

"...discussing cultural relativism with cultural relativists is like playing tennis with some guy who says, 'Your ace is just a social construct.'"

Mark Steyn
arcturus88 is offline  
Old May 2nd, 2016, 12:23 PM   #12
Governor
 
arcturus88's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2012
From: NC
Posts: 1,449

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aufgeblassen View Post
So is that a good or a bad thing
"good" or "bad" are a social constructs too, so it's kind of hard to say. in fact hard is a social construct as well, so it's hard to say it's "hard" to say.

Last edited by arcturus88; May 2nd, 2016 at 12:45 PM.
arcturus88 is offline  
Old May 2nd, 2016, 01:10 PM   #13
Vice President
 
David's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2009
From: Opa Locka
Posts: 5,487

Quote:
Originally Posted by arcturus88 View Post
"good" or "bad" are a social constructs too, so it's kind of hard to say. in fact hard is a social construct as well, so it's hard to say it's "hard" to say.
Hard is actually objective. Something that requires little work is easy, something that requires a lot of work is hard.
Thanks from tecoyah
David is offline  
Old May 3rd, 2016, 05:06 AM   #14
Governor
 
arcturus88's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2012
From: NC
Posts: 1,449

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aufgeblassen View Post
Now you sound like Bill Clinton saying it depends on what the definition of is, is.
What do you think of Bill doing this?
arcturus88 is offline  
Old May 3rd, 2016, 05:10 AM   #15
Governor
 
arcturus88's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2012
From: NC
Posts: 1,449

Quote:
Originally Posted by David View Post
Hard is actually objective. Something that requires little work is easy, something that requires a lot of work is hard.

Hard and easy are arbitrary constructs used to describe a position on a society's work compass. The closest you'll come to an objective hard/easy is various work situations in which a view is commonly held across time and culture, ie. sawing a redwood being hard and slicing butter being easy. Even then it's simple coincidence (and hardly universal) rather than a true objective fact.
arcturus88 is offline  
Old May 3rd, 2016, 05:57 AM   #16
Vice President
 
David's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2009
From: Opa Locka
Posts: 5,487

Quote:
Originally Posted by arcturus88 View Post
Hard and easy are arbitrary constructs used to describe a position on a society's work compass. The closest you'll come to an objective hard/easy is various work situations in which a view is commonly held across time and culture, ie. sawing a redwood being hard and slicing butter being easy. Even then it's simple coincidence (and hardly universal) rather than a true objective fact.
But I already demonstrated that's not true. Nice try though.
David is offline  
Old May 3rd, 2016, 06:12 AM   #17
Secretary of State
 
tecoyah's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2012
From: Louisville, Ky
Posts: 3,457

Quote:
Originally Posted by David View Post
But I already demonstrated that's not true. Nice try though.
I propose a terminology change to simplify. Difficult vs. Simple.

It is difficult to gather wool, weave it into a blanket and survive a winter storm.
It is simple to huddle in a a cave near a fire to do the same thing. Avoiding stealing anothers blanket is a simple act of morality in culture...doing so when it will save your child is not as easy.

It would be "Good" to not take the blanket yet easily considered "Evil" to let your child die.

The two terms are indeed arbitrary as they are entirely based on personal opinion of the individual.
tecoyah is online now  
Old May 3rd, 2016, 09:05 AM   #18
Governor
 
arcturus88's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2012
From: NC
Posts: 1,449

Quote:
Originally Posted by David View Post
But I already demonstrated that's not true. Nice try though.
I agree that you tried to demonstrate that it is not true. but is that truth you mention...subjective or objective?

What I highlight (or attempt to) is that one really just cherry-picks the things they want categorized as objective or subjective.

To the point, I think there are ultimate objective truths. However, I also believe that all are in some way subjective in their ability to capture or grasp these truths. It doesn't mean we shouldn't try to grasp it or that our conception of them are "arbitrary or random", rather they are reasoned grasps at the objective truth.
arcturus88 is offline  
Old May 3rd, 2016, 10:20 AM   #19
Vice President
 
David's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2009
From: Opa Locka
Posts: 5,487

Quote:
Originally Posted by arcturus88 View Post
I agree that you tried to demonstrate that it is not true. but is that truth you mention...subjective or objective?

What I highlight (or attempt to) is that one really just cherry-picks the things they want categorized as objective or subjective.

To the point, I think there are ultimate objective truths. However, I also believe that all are in some way subjective in their ability to capture or grasp these truths. It doesn't mean we shouldn't try to grasp it or that our conception of them are "arbitrary or random", rather they are reasoned grasps at the objective truth.
Hard/Easy is a matter of relevance, not subjection. Morality on the other hand is the opposite, name 1 example of an objective moral position. You can't, even people living within the same culture can't agree.
David is offline  
Old May 3rd, 2016, 12:32 PM   #20
Governor
 
arcturus88's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2012
From: NC
Posts: 1,449

Quote:
Originally Posted by David View Post
Hard/Easy is a matter of relevance, not subjection. Morality on the other hand is the opposite, name 1 example of an objective moral position. You can't, even people living within the same culture can't agree.
no they're subjective.

for proof of their subjectivity, I offer you my disagreement.
since we disagree = they are subjective.

morality has an objectivity at its core (as does hard or easy or quality or truth) but people only grasp at it subjectively. charity (as good) or murder (as evil) as you mentioned, are areas where people have come closer to this objectivity, not randomly but through reason.

by example:

a car runs a stop light and hits a kid on a bike and speeds off.

three people (witnesses) are interviewed by the police.


one says, "it was a black man driving a white Mustang"

a second says, "it was an arab man driving a yellow Camaro".

a third says, "it was a white woman driving a red Nova."


All have had a subjective experience of the hit and run, but their subjective experience of the hit and run does not negate the objective hit and run.


(footnote: the perpetrator was actually a heavy-set white man with bushy blonde white hair driving a diesel, maroon, smart car. )
arcturus88 is offline  
Reply

  Political Fray > The Political Fray > Religion

Tags
evil , existence



Search tags for this page
Click on a term to search for related topics.
Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Is Terrorism a Form of Pure Evil? charleslb Philosophy 13 October 3rd, 2017 01:56 PM
pre-existence of souls? arcturus88 Religion 34 September 20th, 2017 02:46 PM
quarantine of evil arcturus88 Religion 10 January 23rd, 2017 10:10 AM
Do you believe in the existence of atheists? CreaseMonkeyDotCom Religion 26 May 22nd, 2010 03:29 AM
Evil religions? Akuma Religion 7 March 15th, 2009 06:27 PM


Facebook Twitter RSS Feed



Copyright © 2009-2013 Political Fray. All rights reserved.