The Political Fray - Political Forum
Go Back   Political Fray > The Political Fray > Religion

Religion For discussion about different religions and belief structures - Please be respectful of other's beliefs


Thanks Tree21Thanks
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old September 20th, 2009, 12:23 PM   #41
Intern
 
JBeukema's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2009
Posts: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirk View Post
Well, the universe's expansion is slowing down.
http://www.spaceflightnow.com/news/n0310/10expansion/


Last I heard it was speeding up. That's one of the things cited as evidence for 'dark energy'
JBeukema is offline  
Old September 20th, 2009, 12:24 PM   #42
Intern
 
JBeukema's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2009
Posts: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by neau12 View Post
Most atheists are in love with themselves and can't believe in anything greater than themselves. Therefore magic is the answer. For example, the missing link seems to have appeared then disappeared as if by magic. Therefore it must be real.
You worship a personification of the worst attributes of Man and we're in loves with ourselves?


You people think you're made in the 'image and likeness' of God :lol:
JBeukema is offline  
Old September 20th, 2009, 03:36 PM   #43
Anarchist
 
Dirk's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2009
From: Disunited Queendom
Posts: 1,944

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBeukema View Post
http://www.spaceflightnow.com/news/n0310/10expansion/


Last I heard it was speeding up. That's one of the things cited as evidence for 'dark energy'
A friend of mine noted the same recently. I stand corrected.
Dirk is offline  
Old September 21st, 2009, 11:17 PM   #44
Secretary of State
 
deanhills's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2009
Posts: 2,187

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBeukema View Post
That's not accurate.

Depending on how 'God' is defined, he can be disproven. See Helios dfor an example of a god who has been disproven.

If a thing exists, it should be possible to prove it exists*, even if a test to do so has not yet been conceived,


*Insomuch as one 'proves', anything in science
OK, then give me proof that God does not exist. You would be absolutely unique to be able to do that, but I am open for surprises. By the way, that would be REAL magic!
deanhills is offline  
Old September 22nd, 2009, 04:40 AM   #45
Congressional Leader
 
DodgeFB's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2009
From: Undisclosed
Posts: 2,821

Quote:
Originally Posted by deanhills View Post
OK, then give me proof that God does not exist. You would be absolutely unique to be able to do that, but I am open for surprises. By the way, that would be REAL magic!
It all depends on how anyone looks at things. I see proof of "God" or something very powerful everyday. I don't think things "just happen". If people spent more time questioning our leaders and less worrying about proving there is no God maybe the world would not be in such a mess.
DodgeFB is offline  
Old September 22nd, 2009, 08:30 AM   #46
Representative
 
Delta's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2009
Posts: 369

Quote:
Originally Posted by deanhills View Post
OK, then give me proof that God does not exist. You would be absolutely unique to be able to do that, but I am open for surprises. By the way, that would be REAL magic!
I prefer to place the burden of proof upon the believers. It should be far easier to prove something exists than prove that it doesn't.
Delta is offline  
Old September 22nd, 2009, 01:08 PM   #47
Retired Moderator
 
The Parakeet's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2009
Posts: 639

Dean - That's literally the whole prove that there isn't an invisible pink unicorn next to me. Or the prove that there isn't an incredibly small teacup on the far side of the moon.

We were all born atheists. There should be a reason to believe.
The Parakeet is offline  
Old September 23rd, 2009, 12:35 AM   #48
Secretary of State
 
deanhills's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2009
Posts: 2,187

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Parakeet View Post
Dean - That's literally the whole prove that there isn't an invisible pink unicorn next to me. Or the prove that there isn't an incredibly small teacup on the far side of the moon.

We were all born atheists. There should be a reason to believe.
True, we are born atheists. Would that then make the act of birth a miracle?
deanhills is offline  
Old September 23rd, 2009, 04:32 AM   #49
Anarchist
 
Dirk's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2009
From: Disunited Queendom
Posts: 1,944

Quote:
Originally Posted by deanhills View Post
OK, then give me proof that God does not exist. You would be absolutely unique to be able to do that, but I am open for surprises. By the way, that would be REAL magic!
To prove something does not exist is physically impossible. Particularly when you say, "ah, but it's invisible." "ah, but it's not material." "ah, but it's transdimensional."

It's also pretty difficult to prove it exists for the same reason.

I like the crackers in the pantry theory. You tell me there are crackers in the pantry. I look and i look and i look. But i can't find the crackers. I look some more, still can't find anything. I deduce that it is highly unlikely there are any crackers in the pantry.

Quote:
Originally Posted by deanhills View Post
True, we are born atheists. Would that then make the act of birth a miracle?
No, it makes the act of birth a biological process.

Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe there are fairies at the bottom of it as well?

Christians: we are all atheists in the matter of most Gods. Some of us just go one God further.
Dirk is offline  
Old September 24th, 2009, 02:57 AM   #50
Secretary of State
 
deanhills's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2009
Posts: 2,187

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirk View Post
To prove something does not exist is physically impossible. Particularly when you say, "ah, but it's invisible." "ah, but it's not material." "ah, but it's transdimensional."

It's also pretty difficult to prove it exists for the same reason.

I like the crackers in the pantry theory. You tell me there are crackers in the pantry. I look and i look and i look. But i can't find the crackers. I look some more, still can't find anything. I deduce that it is highly unlikely there are any crackers in the pantry.
But maybe the pantry is enormous, and it would take me at least a few thousand years to search all of it. So maybe when I die I may still not have found any crackers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirk View Post
Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe there are fairies at the bottom of it as well?
Who was talking about fairies? Thought we were discussing whether atheists believe in magic? Agreed, birth is a biological process, but look at the face of the mother and you may see a deeper dimension there of something different that cannot be tested in a lab tube.
deanhills is offline  
Old September 24th, 2009, 02:33 PM   #51
Intern
 
JBeukema's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2009
Posts: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by deanhills View Post
OK, then give me proof that God does not exist. You would be absolutely unique to be able to do that, but I am open for surprises. By the way, that would be REAL magic!
Which god?

Helios? Simple, the sun isn't pulled around Earth by a chariot, so a god who drives such a chariot cannot, and therefore, does not exist.

YHWH? YHWH is defined by believers as being a god of infinite love and mercy, and being perfect. They also define jealousy as imperfect, and YHWH 'says' it is jealous. YHWH is defined as omnipotent with no limit to its knowledge, but an understanding of basic epistemological principles shown that to be impossible (how does YHWH know it wasn't created b an Uber-god? Xtians can only respond with fallacious circular arguments).
JBeukema is offline  
Old September 24th, 2009, 02:36 PM   #52
Intern
 
JBeukema's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2009
Posts: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Parakeet View Post
Dean - That's literally the whole prove that there isn't an invisible pink unicorn next to me.
Not quite. The definition of TiPU is much like that od a deistic deity. Deism exists because it wasn't safe to csay one didn't believe in god, so god was redefined as something meaningless (not interacting with the universe and therefore being of zero relevance) and unprovable by definition (inoprder to evade the burden of proof).

YHWH is defined differently, and is impossible by definition- no matter which of the mutually-exclusive definitions you accept from the Abrahamists.
JBeukema is offline  
Old September 24th, 2009, 02:37 PM   #53
Intern
 
JBeukema's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2009
Posts: 13

YWHW is a round triangle
JBeukema is offline  
Old September 24th, 2009, 02:55 PM   #54
Anarchist
 
Dirk's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2009
From: Disunited Queendom
Posts: 1,944

Quote:
Originally Posted by deanhills View Post
Who was talking about fairies? Thought we were discussing whether atheists believe in magic? Agreed, birth is a biological process, but look at the face of the mother and you may see a deeper dimension there of something different that cannot be tested in a lab tube.
The point is that the world can be just as emotive, overwhelming, inspiring and fascinating without having had some mystical spiritual being create it.

Let's think, what would i see?

Probably the most prevalent of things would be pain and love.

Pain is merely the exertion of pressure on nerve-endings throughout the body.

Love is a complex chemical process within the mind, supported by nerve impulses throughout the limbic system of the brain.

As for the crackers, have you ever met the invisible pink unicorn that, while invisible, is also somehow pink? That unicorn has just as much chance of existing, or even creating the universe, as your "God". If not more.

Last edited by Dirk; September 24th, 2009 at 02:57 PM.
Dirk is offline  
Old September 24th, 2009, 03:38 PM   #55
Representative
 
Delta's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2009
Posts: 369

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirk View Post
As for the crackers, have you ever met the invisible pink unicorn that, while invisible, is also somehow pink?
This is very possible. It's base color is pink while it's alpha level (transparency in some programs) is set to 0%. The image however, still exists. This can be proved using any photo editing software. Just because it isn't visible, doesn't mean the unicorn doesn't exist and doesn't mean it isn't pink.

If that isn't science, I don't know what is!
Delta is offline  
Old September 24th, 2009, 07:05 PM   #56
Anarchist
 
Dirk's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2009
From: Disunited Queendom
Posts: 1,944

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delta View Post
This is very possible. It's base color is pink while it's alpha level (transparency in some programs) is set to 0%. The image however, still exists. This can be proved using any photo editing software. Just because it isn't visible, doesn't mean the unicorn doesn't exist and doesn't mean it isn't pink.

If that isn't science, I don't know what is!
La la la, i <3 Edward Current.
Dirk is offline  
Old September 27th, 2009, 08:43 AM   #57
Secretary of State
 
deanhills's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2009
Posts: 2,187

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirk View Post
As for the crackers, have you ever met the invisible pink unicorn that, while invisible, is also somehow pink? That unicorn has just as much chance of existing, or even creating the universe, as your "God". If not more.
Right, and the other way round, there is neither proof for a visible of invisible unicorn.
deanhills is offline  
Old December 24th, 2016, 11:13 AM   #58
President
 
Aufgeblassen's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2013
From: Central FL
Posts: 11,622

Quote:
Originally Posted by pingpong12 View Post
It seems like atheists want me to believe that the universe just magically appeared. This is a hillarious theory which most people laugh at. Th euniverse is just too balanced and too orderly.
No "magic" involved you stooge maniac! Just SIMPLE laws of physics, which BTW cannot be violated - period. Nice try though, to discredit down-to-Earth non-theists!!!
Aufgeblassen is offline  
Old December 24th, 2016, 01:28 PM   #59
Vice President
 
David's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2009
From: Opa Locka
Posts: 6,118

For the love of all that is right and holy in this world, why the **** would you resurrect a 6.25 year old thread?!
David is offline  
Old December 24th, 2016, 01:55 PM   #60
President
 
Aufgeblassen's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2013
From: Central FL
Posts: 11,622

Quote:
Originally Posted by David View Post
For the love of all that is right and holy in this world, why the **** would you resurrect a 6.25 year old thread?!
Because it is not like mankind has totally been redefined in such a short period of time! - hello?!
Aufgeblassen is offline  
Reply

  Political Fray > The Political Fray > Religion

Tags
atheists , magic



Search tags for this page
Click on a term to search for related topics.
Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Theists and atheists kowalskil Religion 13 March 21st, 2017 04:03 PM
Are there more atheists in the US now? curious Religion 13 February 29th, 2012 12:31 PM
The Magic Numbers CatholicCrusader Government and Politics 6 December 5th, 2011 01:18 AM
Do you believe in the existence of atheists? CreaseMonkeyDotCom Religion 26 May 22nd, 2010 02:29 AM
Atheists and Heaven Delta Religion 5 March 26th, 2009 10:00 AM


Facebook Twitter RSS Feed



Copyright © 2009-2013 Political Fray. All rights reserved.