8 richest people as wealthy as poorest half of the world

Nov 2016
Victoria, BC
'
8 richest people as wealthy as poorest half of the world

The wealth of the 8 richest people on earth equals that of the poorest 3.6 billion, according to a report by Oxfam presented at the World Economic Forum in Davos. This vast wealth gap is a threat which may “pull our societies apart,” the report warned.
The list of the eight wealthiest individuals in the world, all men, comes from Forbes magazine’s billionaires list, and includes Microsoft founder Bill Gates, Facebook co-founder Mark Zuckerberg, and Amazon founder Jeff Bezos.

Others include Inditex clothing company founder, Amancio Ortega, investor Warren Buffett, Mexican business magnate Carlos Slim, Oracle’s Larry Ellison, and former New York City Mayor Michael Bloomberg.

Oxfam emphasized the potential connection between the growing gap between the richest and the poorest, and the increasing anger at establishment politicians....

Oxfam urged an increase in tax rates for “rich individuals and corporations,” adding that tax evasion is a critical issue....

The report also slams corporate lobbying and the close relationship between business and politics.

“Crony capitalism benefits the rich, the people who own and run these corporations, at the expense of the common good and of poverty reduction. It means that smaller businesses struggle to compete and ordinary people end up paying more for goods and services,”
Meanwhile, President Slimeball is working hard to eliminate estate taxes on himself and his crony oligarchs.

Nov 2017
FL Treasure Coast & South Central FL
It only means a BUNCH of people are dumb & lazy, while only a few are highly smart & energetic. :p

Oct 2012
Louisville, Ky
It only means a BUNCH of people are dumb & lazy, while only a few are highly smart & energetic. :p
Excuse me little Ralphy boy...I am quite obviously MUCH more intellectually skilled than you will ever be, have worked very hard my entire life until I simply could not do so anymore due to debilitating illness, have now relied on my own savings and prowess vs. the Government handouts you take and am far from rich. Your ignorant and pointless opinions are not in any way appreciated and worth almost as much as you Family Dollars ramen packs.
I and many others are watching the country I love be dismantled from within and try to take steps to prevent it while YOU are not even bright enough to recognize what is happening and instead cheer it out of blatant stupidity. I would remove you just to never see your useless diatribe but, That would be almost as self serving and ignorantly biased as you are.

Nov 2017
Australia
I am surprised that poor or less wealthy people in the US are blamed for being less smart or energetic than prosperous people.
It's a very funny attitude. Not everyone can be or wants to be a millionaire. The "smart" businessman currently at the helm of the US is neither clever nor energetic, so there must be another part of the equation.

Oct 2012
Louisville, Ky
I am surprised that poor or less wealthy people in the US are blamed for being less smart or energetic than prosperous people.
It's a very funny attitude. Not everyone can be or wants to be a millionaire. The "smart" businessman currently at the helm of the US is neither clever nor energetic, so there must be another part of the equation.
Much of the equation can be calculated by researching the last 30 years of financial changes and the onset of a trickle down philosophy that instilled resentment both ways. The worker because the boss keeps all the money and the Boss because the workers expected more money.

Mar 2011
Rhondda, Cymru
Much of the equation can be calculated by researching the last 30 years of financial changes and the onset of a trickle down philosophy that instilled resentment both ways. The worker because the boss keeps all the money and the Boss because the workers expected more money.
Or we might rephrase that to say, 'because the workers produce all the wealth and the crooks steal it.'

Aug 2013
North Carolina
Wasn't it Lincoln that advised to value labor over capitol?
A concept that certain segments of our society do not agree with. My impression of the Paul Ryan crowd is that if you are not wealthy enough to live comfortably without government providing healthcare or retirement you must be a lesser human being that just didn't work hard-a "taker". His aim is now "entitlements" although if he actually looked at a paycheck he would realize that they are earned benefits not a handout. If they stop taking the money for unemployment, social security and Medicare from my check then they are handouts. Ryan is a major hypocrite as he has SS benefits from an early age because of his dad passing away but can't understand how someone else may need a hand. They're all disgusting. Government by the big boys, for the big boys....

Oct 2012
Louisville, Ky
Wasn't it Lincoln that advised to value labor over capitol?
A concept that certain segments of our society do not agree with. My impression of the Paul Ryan crowd is that if you are not wealthy enough to live comfortably without government providing healthcare or retirement you must be a lesser human being that just didn't work hard-a "taker". His aim is now "entitlements" although if he actually looked at a paycheck he would realize that they are earned benefits not a handout. If they stop taking the money for unemployment, social security and Medicare from my check then they are handouts. Ryan is a major hypocrite as he has SS benefits from an early age because of his dad passing away but can't understand how someone else may need a hand. They're all disgusting. Government by the big boys, for the big boys....
Paul Ryan is a perfect example of the Republican problem, the guy relied on Government assistance to get through college and now wants to remove it so no one else gets to.

Nov 2017
Paul Ryan is a perfect example of the Republican problem, the guy relied on Government assistance to get through college and now wants to remove it so no one else gets to.
LOL! You are bellyaching about something he got both legally and morally that was simply available. One is a fool for not taking advantage of advantages available to them.

Oct 2012
Louisville, Ky
LOL! You are bellyaching about something he got both legally and morally that was simply available. One is a fool for not taking advantage of advantages available to them.
It is unfortunate that your intellect does not allow for reading and comprehending full comments or concepts, there is unfortunately no cure for this at your age that does not involve the Education you so clearly lack and avoid...thus are you doomed to dwell in the dark ignorance you regularly display and have grown to represent here.
I do not "Bellyache" but instead point out this man enjoyed the "Available" benefit and now wishes to remove it before it can benefit others.

I highly recommend you stick to your pathetic and useless child threads and avoid trying to play where the big kids are.

Nov 2017
It is unfortunate that your intellect does not allow for reading and comprehending full comments or concepts, there is unfortunately no cure for this at your age that does not involve the Education you so clearly lack and avoid...thus are you doomed to dwell in the dark ignorance you regularly display and have grown to represent here.
I do not "Bellyache" but instead point out this man enjoyed the "Available" benefit and now wishes to remove it before it can benefit others.

I highly recommend you stick to your pathetic and useless child threads and avoid trying to play where the big kids are.
LOL.

Aug 2017
Medway Towns, Kent
In which case you are not fit to belong to the human race, are you?
Probably not no. Then again I don't get all consumed with rage and envy about those that have more money than me... I just go about my life enjoying what I have....but hey that's just me...;)

Oct 2012
NC
In which case you are not fit to belong to the human race, are you?

Leftists use the most base of human emotions to get the masses to move...envy.

"He has more than you and you should have what he has"

It seems you are easy prey to this tactic and old Fitz is not.

Last edited:
Mar 2011
Rhondda, Cymru
Probably not no. Then again I don't get all consumed with rage and envy about those that have more money than me... I just go about my life enjoying what I have....but hey that's just me...;)
The though of envying such tedious arseholes really is weird. What have they got that anyone sensible would want?

Last edited:
Aug 2017
Medway Towns, Kent
The though of envying such tedious arseholes really is weird. Shat have they got that anyone sensible would want?
....apparently they have everything that the authors of the article value....wealth!!

Why do you find motivated and successful people "tedious"? Personally I would like nothing more than to sit down with the likes of Bill Gates and chew the fat with him!