Actual Debates ~The benefits of Religion.

Oct 25, 2012
Louisville, Ky
In this format (should you decide to post), you have agreed to contribute...not contaminate. By touching finger to keyboard, it will be assumed you intend to use a fact based opinion with each stroke of the board.

Between the compassionate charity, societal stability, guiding principles, and comfort belief can instill...Religions worldwide accomplish great things and often provide a catalyst for love.

There is however, a dark side to religion that cannot be ignored. People kill, rape, steal, and hate based (sometimes loosely), on the written words of men that are believed to be one God or anothers instruction manual.

Given these realities...is the overall impact on Humanity a positive force?

Feb 3, 2012
England
In this format (should you decide to post), you have agreed to contribute...not contaminate. By touching finger to keyboard, it will be assumed you intend to use a fact based opinion with each stroke of the board.

Between the compassionate charity, societal stability, guiding principles, and comfort belief can instill...Religions worldwide accomplish great things and often provide a catalyst for love.

There is however, a dark side to religion that cannot be ignored. People kill, rape, steal, and hate based (sometimes loosely), on the written words of men that are believed to be one God or anothers instruction manual.

No.
It has, as you said, a good side but if you take into account the wars, intolerance and hatred it has generated in both past and present, then no, it is not a positive force.

Jul 26, 2009
Opa Locka
Went to church yesterday, and the guy at the pulpit started ranting about pics of aborted fetuses at pro-life protests, Westboro's hate speech, Christian terrorists strapping bombs to things (I'm assuming he was alluding to abortion clinic bombings, he didn't elaborate) and that most of the wars in history were started by Christians. His point being that non-Christians were seeing this and going, "Why would I want to worship your ****ed up god." He phrased it only slightly more politely.

I have to say, a cleric willing to call out his own religion is refreshing.

Oct 25, 2012
Louisville, Ky

Actual Debates ~The benefits of Religion.

Oct 7, 2012
NC

i find discussing man's hands is equally compelling.

Hands can build great wonders of ingenuity, they can build bridges and buildings and even machines that can cure disease. they can cradle a baby or hug a loved one. they can give to the poor and pull a man out of the gutter.

There is however, a dark side to hands that cannot be ignored. People's hands facilitate killing, raping, stealing. They have created weapons of mass destruction and and instruments of unthinkable cruelty and torture.

Given these realities (of hands)...is the overall impact on Humanity a positive force?

Oct 7, 2012
NC
Aren't you his friend?

So he treats his friends like garbage too?
no. he is a good friend a decent human. what you see here is not the real human. though when I first met him we debated, bantered, and argued about religion, money, science, family, abortion, etc. sometimes to the point of anger (mine). I don't know if I've seen him truly ever get angry.

at some point you agree to disagree. I am sure over the years of banter, I am pretty inoculated to aufgablassen's ways and online efforts to spin people up. that said, I don't like his anti-gay approach here and told him as much, I hope he ends that schtick.

Last edited:
Feb 8, 2013
just past the moons of Jupiter
no. he is a good friend
Sad.

decent human.
as hateful and spiteful as he is I don't believe this

what you see here is not the real human.
sadly it is. I have come across many people that are just like him.

though when I first met him we debated, bantered, and argued about religion, money, science, family, abortion, etc. sometimes to the point of anger (mine). I don't know if I've seen him truly ever get angry.
Trolling whether in person or on electronic media normally makes trolls happy.

at some point you agree to disagree. I am sure over the years of banter, I am pretty inoculated to aufgablassen's ways and online efforts to spin people up.
seems juvenile to me.
that said, I don't like his anti-gay approach here and told him as much, I hope he ends that schtick.
hateful spiteful people don't normally abandon hatred and spite.

He spits in your face and you call him a friend?

With friends like that who needs enemys

Feb 8, 2013
I think that's the point. ;) I've got friends that I find discussing because as miserable as they are, having enemies is counterproductive.
I prefer to find friends that aren't arrogant hateful self absorbed toads. But that is just me.

Feb 8, 2013
i simply don't take the banter personally.
I don't either, I just don't see any redeeming quality. He is just a troll, the internetis full of them many far more witty. He isn't even valuable for comic relief.

A troll with no sense of humor is the worst kind.

Case and point:
I'll bet you prefer to not hit yourself with a hammer either. :rolleyes:
Is this supposed to be funny? If I was a 10 year-old maybe.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2012
Louisville, Ky
I think that's the point. ;) I've got friends that I find discussing because as miserable as they are, having enemies is counterproductive.

Yes, having "enemies" serves no valuable purpose...yet dismissing someone does not create an enemy, it simply allows one to avoid future drama.

Befriending someone you do not care for guarantees future drama.

I simply have no use for this.

Jul 26, 2009
Opa Locka
Yes, having "enemies" serves no valuable purpose...yet dismissing someone does not create an enemy, it simply allows one to avoid future drama.

Befriending someone you do not care for guarantees future drama.

I simply have no use for this.
That hasn't been my experience.