An interesting point.

May 2012
on Earth
And on my forum people wonder why I call myself a misanthrope and say that humans wreck the world.

But no matter what happens, I still view it as nature. We are not above nature. We are just part of it, whether we pollute, kill other species or what, the Earth will eventually wipe us out and start again.

Jul 2009
Port St. Lucie
And on my forum people wonder why I call myself a misanthrope and say that humans wreck the world.

But no matter what happens, I still view it as nature. We are not above nature. We are just part of it, whether we pollute, kill other species or what, the Earth will eventually wipe us out and start again.
I didn't mean to apply we were unnatural, just that the extinctions happening today aren't the natural purging of obsolete species that always happens.

May 2012
on Earth
It's all good. But why do you think the extinctions are "not natural"? If so, then what is causing them? Everything is part of nature.

Jul 2009
Port St. Lucie
It's all good. But why do you think the extinctions are "not natural"? If so, then what is causing them? Everything is part of nature.
I didn't say they weren't natural, I said they weren't the natural purging. All species go extinct at some point, the environmental niche they fill disappears, a new, more evolved version comes into existence, etc. but every so often something happens and everything dies off all at once. That sudden die off is a mass extinction and that's what we've had for 10k years.

May 2012
on Earth
I didn't say they weren't natural, I said they weren't the natural purging. All species go extinct at some point, the environmental niche they fill disappears, a new, more evolved version comes into existence, etc. but every so often something happens and everything dies off all at once. That sudden die off is a mass extinction and that's what we've had for 10k years.
I still don't understand your viewpoint. It is a natural process, but a "not natural purging"? What's the difference? Whether it's a slow extinction because something better evolves, or it's a mass extinction, isn't it ALL part of nature?

Jul 2009
Port St. Lucie
I still don't understand your viewpoint. It is a natural process, but a "not natural purging"? What's the difference? Whether it's a slow extinction because something better evolves, or it's a mass extinction, isn't it ALL part of nature?
I never said otherwise. Don't reply to this directly, start a new thread.

Jun 2012
Taking the anthill analogy as something to look at. We're really not at all interesting to an advanced race that could be making their way through our little corner of the verse. At the same time, we would be something to study as we do with animals already in various jungles, deserts, and anywhere else on our planet.

For the abductions that many people have claimed to experienced is at most something that the person could have gone through as a hallucination. When people describe aliens it's based on a bipedal description. How is it that with every alien that supposedly came to our planet have traits of humanoids. What's not to say that they would look like blobs or even reptile like walking on five legs.