Atheism becoming more prevalent

Mar 15, 2009
Atheism seems to be becoming more prevalent and definitely atheists are becoming more outspoken. What do you think set this off? Where was the turning point? The science has been around for decades, but it's only lately that we are seeing quite a big push for freethinking and atheistic or at least agnostic viewpoints. Many books are being published (e.g. The God Delusion, god Is Not Great, etc.) and now we have the billboards going up.

I wasn't really that focused on religion at all a few years ago, so I'm not sure what the turning point was, but it seemed rather abrupt.

Any thoughts?

The Parakeet

Retired Moderator
Jan 19, 2009
I think we have the creationists and the religious right to thank. They made a lot of atheists realize what was at stake. Nothing like a common enemy to unite a group.

All of the religious battles occurring around us (intelligent design, creationism, some aspects of abortion, etc.) have forced atheists to become more vocal.

There is also an interesting change in attitudes toward religion. Most of the moderate churchgoers seem to be getting more and more disillusioned with their faith. The push for atheism is partly possible due to the growing collapse of organized religion. More and more people are seeing that they can live without gods.

Mar 15, 2009
I think we have the creationists and the religious right to thank. They made a lot of atheists realize what was at stake. Nothing like a common enemy to unite a group.

All of the religious battles occurring around us (intelligent design, creationism, some aspects of abortion, etc.) have forced atheists to become more vocal.

There is also an interesting change in attitudes toward religion. Most of the moderate churchgoers seem to be getting more and more disillusioned with their faith. The push for atheism is partly possible due to the growing collapse of organized religion. More and more people are seeing that they can live without gods.
Very true! I guess now that you mention it, I remember hearing a lot about these battles on the news and such. Gay marriage, intelligent design in science class etc. were/are huge topics. I guess you can only push people so far before they start to push back. It's actually pretty funny really - quite ironic.

Mar 24, 2009
Undisclosed
Very true! I guess now that you mention it, I remember hearing a lot about these battles on the news and such. Gay marriage, intelligent design in science class etc. were/are huge topics. I guess you can only push people so far before they start to push back. It's actually pretty funny really - quite ironic.
Yes very funny. But only time will tell who gets the last laugh.:D

Mar 15, 2009
Florida, USA
I thinkk some religions have taken some ridiculous positions, which tends to disillusion people. I also think that people are more aware that there are multiple religions each claiming to be the one true faith, and that they can't all be right, so maybe none of them are.

As far as being more outspoken, in spite of the emphasis on faith that we hear in campaigns, it isn't so important any more. And as we teach people to be more tolerant of others, atheists get included.