Atheism vs. Agnosticism

Nov 2017
FL Treasure Coast & South Central FL
It seems that "a distinction without a difference" between the two exists.

A good analogy is: an atheist is outside the fence, the agnostic is ON the fence, while the theist is IN the pit of hungry lions. As you can see, no difference for practical purposes between outside the fence and on it, but you're only gonna get eaten if in the pit! :redface:

Gnostic literally means (especially to the non-religious) "possessing knowledge", so unless one is born anencephalic, all 7.5 billion on Earth are gnostic to varying degrees, and zero are agnostic.

The only human entities that could be considered agnostic would be the pre-persons/pre-born (zygotes, embryos, and fetuses).

Any thoughts? :unsure:

Nov 2017
I've never thought about whether I'm agnostic or atheist, as I've never seen an actual difference (unlike theists might). But today I give it serious thought, and conclude I'm a GNOSTIC ATHEIST. :smug:

Oct 2012
NC
Let google clear it up for you...

ag·nos·tic
noun
noun: agnostic; plural noun: agnostics

1. 1.
    a person who believes that nothing is known or can be known of the existence or nature of God or of anything beyond material phenomena; a person who claims neither faith nor disbelief in God.

a·the·ist
noun
noun: atheist; plural noun: atheists

1. a person who disbelieves or lacks belief in the existence of God or gods.

Glad I could be of help in your journey.

Nov 2017
you are making the argument that there is no difference between these statements:

1. I don't know

2. no
They BOTH mean: "not yes". :D

Sometimes "I don't no" is a polite way of no. If you ask someone if they want to go see a movie, and they say "I don't know", you can be pretty certain they mean NO. :D

Last edited:
Mar 2011
Rhondda, Cymru
I'd guess that a lot of sensible people everywhere, and especially here, don't see the need to define themselves in such antiquated terms. As I frequently point out, even with American Right-wingers I see no need to define myself as an antiphlogistonist or even a Flat Earth Doubter.

Nov 2017
I'd guess that a lot of sensible people everywhere, and especially here, don't see the need to define themselves in such antiquated terms. As I frequently point out, even with American Right-wingers I see no need to define myself as an antiphlogistonist or even a Flat Earth Doubter.
Did you mean anti-phlogistonist?

No such word as antiphlogistonist!!!

I can see why you would be an anti-phlogistonist, I am too, not that I think about it. :D

phlogiston

noun
a nonexistent chemical that, prior to the discovery of oxygen, was thought to be released during combustion.