Atheists and Heaven

Mar 15, 2009
I often talk to my ex girlfriend about religion as she has always been a little religious however, she is now getting "hardcore" into catholicism. She was talking to her missionary about atheists and her missionary said basically that atheists do not necessarily go straight to hell. If they are living their lives, still looking for answers, then it is possible god will accept them into his kingdom.

Of course, being an atheist, I don't worry about this either way - but it is an interesting concept nevertheless.

Any thoughts?

The Parakeet

Retired Moderator
Jan 19, 2009
That's good. It means that she isn't falling in with biblical literalism believers. That's basically what I would believe if I was Christian. What kind of God would reject someone just because they didn't worship him enough in their life. That's one egotistical jerk that I would refuse to support out of principle alone.

Mar 19, 2009
Philippines
I can say that what her missionary said is definitely true. Atheists are also people, but with different beliefs. All people will go to Heaven and will have eternal life.

I remember our teacher said that all worship the same God but different religions have different names they call Him and different beliefs about Him.

Mar 24, 2009
Undisclosed
I often talk to my ex girlfriend about religion as she has always been a little religious however, she is now getting "hardcore" into catholicism. She was talking to her missionary about atheists and her missionary said basically that atheists do not necessarily go straight to hell. If they are living their lives, still looking for answers, then it is possible god will accept them into his kingdom.

Of course, being an atheist, I don't worry about this either way - but it is an interesting concept nevertheless.

Any thoughts?
I must say as an "atheist" they are "all in" at the final table.

Mar 15, 2009
I must say as an "atheist" they are "all in" at the final table.
Hmm, well, I guess I'll just have to put a lot of err... faith... into my pocket aces holding up ;)

They've been cracked by kings many times before though.

Last edited:
Mar 4, 2009
North Carolina
That's the great things about Catholics. Whatever they say, no matter what it is, is taken seriously just because they've been around for centuries. Truth is it all comes down to one thing. No one knows what God wants (if there is one). Man makes up all the rules. Man invented the concept of Heaven. So they can say "Yeah, if you're good, even if you don't believe in Jesus (likes we've previously been screaming) you'll get into heaven. Sounds good to me."