Barney Frank: abolish Fannie and Freddie

myp

Site Founder
Jan 14, 2009
Democrat Congressman Barney Frank recently called for an abolition of Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac, the government sponsored mortgage giants. He said that a new approach to housing finance is needed.

link: http://finance.yahoo.com/news/Rep-Frank-Abolish-Fannie-Mae-apf-2556602798.html?x=0

I don't find myself agreeing with Frank very often, but I am right with him when it comes to abolishing Fannie and Freddie. I would love to see them privatized as was done with Sallie Mae, the education loan giant several years ago.

Thoughts?

deanhills

Secretary of State
Mar 15, 2009
Democrat Congressman Barney Frank recently called for an abolition of Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac, the government sponsored mortgage giants. He said that a new approach to housing finance is needed.

link: http://finance.yahoo.com/news/Rep-Frank-Abolish-Fannie-Mae-apf-2556602798.html?x=0

I don't find myself agreeing with Frank very often, but I am right with him when it comes to abolishing Fannie and Freddie. I would love to see them privatized as was done with Sallie Mae, the education loan giant several years ago.

Thoughts?
Weren't they at the heart of the recent financial disaster? All of it Government backed, and the mortgage invesments approved by Government, and when the failed at the Banks got bailed out by the Government. How do you think it would be privatized?

myp

Site Founder
Jan 14, 2009
Weren't they at the heart of the recent financial disaster? All of it Government backed, and the mortgage invesments approved by Government, and when the failed at the Banks got bailed out by the Government. How do you think it would be privatized?
Well Frank seems to be suggesting abolishment, but I am not exactly sure what he wants to do with the assets. By privatization I mean prep the GSEs to become private companies and eventually make them separate from government. With all the red on their books it might be difficult, but maybe government could sell any assets investors are interested in and then maybe just eat the cost of the unwanted assets- or wait until they appreciate and sell them later.

Sallie Mae was privatized in 1997 and has experienced good productivity afterwards.

deanhills

Secretary of State
Mar 15, 2009
Well Frank seems to be suggesting abolishment, but I am not exactly sure what he wants to do with the assets. By privatization I mean prep the GSEs to become private companies and eventually make them separate from government. With all the red on their books it might be difficult, but maybe government could sell any assets investors are interested in and then maybe just eat the cost of the unwanted assets- or wait until they appreciate and sell them later.

Sallie Mae was privatized in 1997 and has experienced good productivity afterwards.
Maybe Frank's suggestion for an abolishment would be the wiser course of action, as that would mean that they would have to work through the assets, one by one, instead of hiding them in paperwork if they should change hands in a semi-Government private sector privatization scheme. Would be nice if they could start those old fashioned building societies that could be operated by local communities, although I'm not sure what the value of the assets would be.

myp

Site Founder
Jan 14, 2009
Well they are already semi-government enterprises- what I am saying is complete privatization. Companies will buy any good assets and the ones that won't sell government can hold on to and sell later or sell at a low value. I am sure that if he is calling for abolishment it either means selling off everything or transferring it to another government program- I don't see any progress in the latter option.

deanhills

Secretary of State
Mar 15, 2009
Well they are already semi-government enterprises- what I am saying is complete privatization. Companies will buy any good assets and the ones that won't sell government can hold on to and sell later or sell at a low value. I am sure that if he is calling for abolishment it either means selling off everything or transferring it to another government program- I don't see any progress in the latter option.
At least with abolishment there would be an absolute clean and neat ending, and a foundation for a new beginning. Going the privatization route would probably be something that would never have an ending. Government may also create something really bad out of it as they always tend to mess things up.