Can guns protect us against tyranny?

Jan 2009
The Saudis invaded Bahrain to put down the revolution and most Venezuelans support President Chavez. Find valid examples next time. :giggle:
You just cherry-picked your rebuttals :p Clearly I did not write the article, just sharing it, but there are valid examples there too.

Jul 2009
Port St. Lucie
You just cherry-picked your rebuttals :p Clearly I did not write the article, just sharing it, but there are valid examples there too.
Cherry pick? Fine, the military and police immediately sided with the Tunisians, the military sided with the Egyptians and my previous statements hold for the other 2 examples. Now lets look at Syria, they tried to be peaceful and got slaughtered in the streets but as soon as they took up arms they started taking ground and are now poised for victory. Or we can look at Libya where thanks to armed revolutionaries, Qaddafi ended up in a meat cooler at some grocery store for people to mock and desecrate.

Jan 2009
Cherry pick? Fine, the military and police immediately sided with the Tunisians, the military sided with the Egyptians and my previous statements hold for the other 2 examples. Now lets look at Syria, they tried to be peaceful and got slaughtered in the streets but as soon as they took up arms they started taking ground and are now poised for victory. Or we can look at Libya where thanks to armed revolutionaries, Qaddafi ended up in a meat cooler at some grocery store for people to mock and desecrate.
I think you just proved the author's point.

Jan 2009
'Can Guns Really Protect Us From Tyranny?'

The answer is yes.
Did you read the actual content? Titles are often a bit more sensationalist to increase readership- nothing new there.

If you read the 2 sentence commentary and the snippet from the FP article, it is quite obvious that this is about private gun ownership. In other words, you can probably have gun bans and be able to overthrow a tyrannical government, it seems like.

Jan 2009
On second thought, I don't even think it is a sensationalist title given the context (chronos). I know when I first read the title I didn't think he meant "are swords, spears, or whatever enough to protect us from tyranny?" Did you?

Jan 2009
Tough sell when our own was certainly won with a gun. Firearm ownership so central to Revolutionary America, they made it our second amendment.

Go figure.
Again, he is suggesting you don't NEED those ownership levels. Need is the key word.

Mar 2011
Rhondda, Cymru
Tough sell when our own was certainly won with a gun. Firearm ownership so central to Revolutionary America, they made it our second amendment.

Go figure.
You got independence because so many British people supported you, you know, and, if they hadn't, all those landed tax-dodgers would have been hanged. Disciplined troops would wipe out the cowboys and bandits in about ten minutes flat, let's face it. All these childish games are just ways of convincing yourselves that you're not one of the most conformist and forelock-tugging societies on earth, let's face it.

Oct 2012
Louisville, Ky
You got independence because so many British people supported you, you know, and, if they hadn't, all those landed tax-dodgers would have been hanged. Disciplined troops would wipe out the cowboys and bandits in about ten minutes flat, let's face it. All these childish games are just ways of convincing yourselves that you're not one of the most conformist and forelock-tugging societies on earth, let's face it.
Interesting take....fortunately, most of us take into account the source of insult, and allow for those disadvantaged by nature.

Oct 2012
Louisville, Ky
OH? There's nice! :)
I agree it was not nice...nor was my reply to your insulting my entire country intended to be so.

It was however, phrased in such a way as to be acceptable to this forum while indicating my opinion of your post.

Mar 2011
Rhondda, Cymru
I agree it was not nice...nor was my reply to your insulting my entire country intended to be so.

It was however, phrased in such a way as to be acceptable to this forum while indicating my opinion of your post.
It would be absurd to insult an entire country, particularly one I admire. I do not admire fools, however, or cowboys, and I think it is the act of a friend to say so , LOUDLY.

Dec 2012
Madison, AL
Do you have any idea how close a contest it was? No guns, no ammunition, no cannon, no French, no victory.

Every revolution is substantially helped by outside forces, usually after they have proven themselves able to survive long enough to win.

One million discipline troops are no matched for an armed, fighting populace of 50 million. We have the Second Amendment to the US Constitution because of the fear of a large, standing army under the control of an out of control Executive. This is timely. Very, very timely.

Mar 2011
Rhondda, Cymru
Do you have any idea how close a contest it was? No guns, no ammunition, no cannon, no French, no victory.

Every revolution is substantially helped by outside forces, usually after they have proven themselves able to survive long enough to win.

One million discipline troops are no matched for an armed, fighting populace of 50 million. We have the Second Amendment to the US Constitution because of the fear of a large, standing army under the control of an out of control Executive. This is timely. Very, very timely.
The 'French' bit is the one that counts. Armed fighting populace my American elbow! Gang of third-rate hams! Capitalists control your working lives, your private lives, your opinions and your government, and the bang-bangs have nothing to do with it.