Canadian gun control: Should the united states look north for a solution to its firea

Nov 2016
Victoria, BC
'
CANADIAN GUN CONTROL: SHOULD THE UNITED STATES LOOK NORTH FOR A SOLUTION TO ITS FIREARMS PROBLEM?

A man on a saddle with rifle and revolver symbolized the west in both nations. America's character was the independent cowboy, and Canada's was the Royal North-West Mounted Policeman. In fact, the Lone Ranger would have been an outlaw in Canada, since Canadian law forbade carrying a firearm while "masked or disguised."
While there is sometimes heated debate about which long guns should be restricted weapons, there is no such debate about handguns. All handguns are restricted.

To receive a Restricted Weapon Registration Certificate, an applicant has the burden of proving that the gun will be used for one of four purposes:
(1) to protect life where other protection is inadequate;
(2) in connection with a lawful profession or occupation;
(3) for use in target practice under the auspices of a shooting club; and
(4) as part of a gun collection by a "bona fide gun collector."

The first step for a prospective handgun purchaser will typically be to join a shooting club and to shoot with club members' guns at the range. Some clubs may observe the applicant for a while before writing a letter of recommendation to the police to attest that the applicant may be entrusted with a handgun....

After paying for a handgun or other restricted weapon...the applicant must take the detailed bill of sale to the Registrar of Firearms at a local police station. The Registrar completes an Application to Register a Restricted Weapon for the applicant. At this time, the applicant may show his shooting club recommendation. The police run a background check....Some police precincts conduct personal interviews in the applicant's home. The police may also visit the location where the applicant intends to store the handgun to ensure that the gun will be locked up. Interviews with neighbors and employers are not uncommon....

A Permit to Convey allows the citizen to pick up his gun from the gun dealer, bring it to the police station for verification of registration information, and then take the gun to his residence or place of business.
emphasis added

Nov 2016
Victoria, BC
'
Well, as for me, I do not like to be around people who are obsessed with guns and violence. They make me feel unclean. I think of them as being defective human beings. Most of all, they are very, very ugly, or so they seem to me. I like to be surrounded by beauty, not ugliness.

So many Americans today seem to be suffering from mental illnesses and deep-seated delusions. I don't know where it will all end. I think that America will just keep getting worse and worse until it is like Somalia. That should bring great satisfaction to those who cannot live without their guns.
Perhaps at that point Americans will regard their survival as more important than some obsessively worshipped portions of the antiquated US Constitution.

I have lived in several countries with strict gun laws. I did not feel my freedom curtailed by these laws. What I did feel was safe, and I could walk down almost any street at any hour of the day or night and feel secure that I would run into no danger.

To see what I mean, look at Canada. As a tongue-tip taste of the difference between the U.S.A. and Canada, consider the Yukon Gold Rush of 1898:

"Approximately 16,000 people lived in Dawson itself, with about another 15,000 working and living on the nearby creeks. Elsewhere in North America, boomtowns linked to gold rushes had become lawless and violent places. But the presence of the North West Mounted Police ensured that the mostly American throngs of prospectors kept the peace. In 1898, there was not a single murder in Dawson and very little theft. No doubt this was the result of a law that forbade the carrying of sidearms."

Just across the border, in Skagway, Alaska, under U.S. jurisdiction, in a town about as big as Dawson, there were more than a hundred murders, and indescribable lawlessness.

Jan 2018
Arkansas
In 1898, there was not a single murder in Dawson and very little theft. No doubt this was the result of a law that forbade the carrying of sidearms."[/b]

Is there some reason why we should be interested in what happened in a single year 120 years ago?

Jan 2018
Arkansas
Yes, there is.

I leave it to you to employ your brain cells to figure out what.
I don't have to empty my brain cells. It is not relevant. We are in 2018 with over 300 million guns and open borders. As a practical matter, we could repeal the Second Amendment tomorrow and I would be in danger for the next twenty plus years because only the law abiding citizens would get rid of their guns. I would still be defenseless because of our physical location.

So, unless you have a practical solution, you are just pissing in the wind.

Nov 2016
Victoria, BC
I don't have to empty my brain cells. It is not relevant. We are in 2018 with over 300 million guns and open borders.
I am sorry that your brain cells have failed you --- but, I suppose, at your age, that is not surprising.

Moving with rational and deliberate speed to the Canadian model would be a solution --- but with all-or-nothing Americans, to whom reason and deliberation are utterly foreign, I do not expect any improvement in your national psychoses.

Nov 2017
FL Treasure Coast & South Central FL
I am sorry that your brain cells have failed you --- but, I suppose, at your age, that is not surprising.

Moving with rational and deliberate speed to the Canadian model would be a solution --- but with all-or-nothing Americans, to whom reason and deliberation are utterly foreign, I do not expect any improvement in your national psychoses.
Likewise, figments of your imagination are highly unlikely to change anytime soon. :giggle:

Jan 2018
Arkansas
You provide no solutions, only hate. You live in a pathetic world.

Oct 2012
Flower Mound, TX (In the basement.)
"Should the united states look north for a solution to its firearms problem?"

First, there is no firearms problem. Last, we are not Canada. Thank God.