caving in to North Korea

May 2012
The motherland
Sony dropped the movie because a major distributor backed off from releasing the film as scheduled due to safety concerns. The Interview movie still could be released via a pay-per-view venue like Netflix, Amazon and Hulu to mitigate the threats of terrorising moviegoers and theatre owners.

[youtube]ow5HSYvlpYo[/youtube]

Oct 2012
NC
I take a more complex view of it.

a company (containing US citizens) was attacked by terrorists. it then becomes the governments task to defend its citizens. so what I advocate is the US taking a strong stance with Sony to defend their right of free speech to release.

Aug 2010
Cliffside Park, NJ
Sony dropped the movie because a major distributor backed off from releasing the film as scheduled due to safety concerns. The Interview movie still could be released via a pay-per-view venue like Netflix, Amazon and Hulu to mitigate the threats of terrorising moviegoers and theatre owners. ...
ThirdTerm, each possible method of releasing the movie would renew the threat (alleged to be driven by the North Korea government) upon Sony and whoever they passed those rights on to.

if Sony releases a copy of the movie to the U.S. government with the rights for a year, the Federal government could make some DVD’s of the movie publically available at comparatively little expense. Even if they did so for a single month, enormous number of DVD copies would emerge from innumerable numbers of producers that would be sold by street vendors throughout the entire globe. Even if is possibly conceivable that the movie never plays in any theater and is never broadcasted over any medium, the movie that it’s alleged a government tried to suppress would be among the most (if not the most) widely viewed movies ever produced.

This scenario is a daydream that we cannot expect to be realized. Sony Corporation of America, (a subsidiary of Sony Corporation in Tokyo), would not profit from such a scheme. Despite the Romney’s opinion, corporations are not people. Even most people generally do not accept huge risks or reduction of their finances for patriotic or other altruistic reasons.
Additionally (although the movie has in effect been released beyond Sony’s control), Sony has reason to fear again being subjected to continuous cyber-attacks. North Korea’s motives would be revenge and establishing their commitment and power to carry out any threats; we should expect future threats against other enterprises or nations.

Regardless of how Sony acts or fails to act, it is necessary that we and our allies or even USA alone willingly devote possibly huge expenditures, (comparable to our expenditures for the building the first atomic bombs or our space programs), all devoted to finding an effective shielding from such cyber-attacks. This has now been established as a very real threats our national security.

Respectfully, Supposn

Feb 2013
just past the moons of Jupiter

a company (containing US citizens) was attacked by terrorists. it then becomes the governments task to defend its citizens. so what I advocate is the US taking a strong stance with Sony to defend their right of free speech to release.
It wasn't attacked it was just a threat.

We need to meet a threat with a promise. Something to the extent "for every terrorist attack we will nuke one of your cities schools hospitals children and all."

We may have to make good on it once but once it occurs "terrorism" will be history.

Jul 2009
Opa Locka

We need to meet a threat with a promise. Something to the extent "for every terrorist attack we will nuke one of your cities schools hospitals children and all."

We may have to make good on it once but once it occurs "terrorism" will be history.
WW3 would be the more likely outcome.

Aug 2010
Cliffside Park, NJ

Polydectes, certainly it was an actual cyber-terrorist attack.

Regarding the creditability of the threats, thus far the terrorists have successfully accomplished every promised act if any of their demands were not satisfied. The cyber-terrorists had further threatened Sony if Sony ceased satisfying their demands.

Some of the hacked data is of embarrassments to Sony and to others. Much of the embarrassments are of financial consequences to those enterprises and individuals.
The releasing of that illegally obtained data certainly was of huge financial detriment to the Sony Corporation.

We hope that we will deliver Obama’s promise of appropriately retaliating at the time and place of our choosing.

Knowing and positively confirming North Korea’s involvement are different matters and “gunboat diplomacy” is no longer effective.

Warfare is now being conducted by gangs or cells of people within many nations. These individuals and small groups are only slightly affiliated or often not affiliated with each other.
They drift over borders or fly as individual airline passengers among many similarly appearing passengers with similarly unremarkable documents of identification. You suggest “nuking” a city to kill half dozen persons that are not unlikely to be opposed to the government of the city and of the nation you propose we attack?

Respectfully, Supposn

Oct 2012
Louisville, Ky

Regarding the creditability of the threats, thus far the terrorists have successfully accomplished every promised act if any of their demands were not satisfied. The cyber-terrorists had further threatened Sony if Sony ceased satisfying their demands.

Some of the hacked data is of embarrassments to Sony and to others. Much of the embarrassments are of financial consequences to those enterprises and individuals.
The releasing of that illegally obtained data certainly was of huge financial detriment to the Sony Corporation.

We hope that we will deliver Obama’s promise of appropriately retaliating at the time and place of our choosing.

Knowing and positively confirming North Korea’s involvement are different matters and “gunboat diplomacy” is no longer effective.

Warfare is now being conducted by gangs or cells of people within many nations. These individuals and small groups are only slightly affiliated or often not affiliated with each other.
They drift over borders or fly as individual airline passengers among many similarly appearing passengers with similarly unremarkable documents of identification. You suggest “nuking” a city to kill half dozen persons that are not unlikely to be opposed to the government of the city and of the nation you propose we attack?

Respectfully, Supposn
Sony should simply give the movie away to the internet.

They are out the money anyway....and that would shove it right where the sun don't shine for NK.

Aug 2010
Cliffside Park, NJ
Sony should simply give the movie away to the internet.

They are out the money anyway....and that would shove it right where the sun don't shine for NK.
Tecoyah, (excerpted from post #7. Respectfully, Supposn

ThirdTerm, each possible method of releasing the movie would renew the threat (alleged to be driven by the North Korea government) upon Sony and whoever they passed those rights on to. …
Sony Corporation of America, (a subsidiary of Sony Corporation in Tokyo), would not profit from such a scheme. Despite the Romney’s opinion, corporations are not people. Even most people generally do not accept huge risks or reduction of their finances for patriotic or other altruistic reasons.
Additionally (although the movie has in effect been released beyond Sony’s control), Sony has reason to fear again being subjected to continuous cyber-attacks. North Korea’s motives would be revenge and establishing their commitment and power to carry out any threats.

Oct 2010
Midwest

I don't know enough about it. NK denies hacking and we say they did. IDK.

Feb 2013

Respectfully, Supposn
I don't believe you. I don't buy that it is just a group of independent people.

And if it is being conducted by gangs, invade and slaughter.

I have heard the conspiracy theory, there may be something to that.

Jul 2009
Opa Locka
Nuking civilian targets because of a band of half-witted terrorists pocked us in the eye would result in sanctions, our removal from the UN/NATO and retaliation by Russia and China. Never mind the massive civil revolt it would provoke here, I mean there was a low-grade civil war throughout the 60's because we napalmed a few villages. You're delusional to think otherwise and I'm starting to think you're crazy to even think glassing people is a good idea... EVER.

Feb 2013
Nuking civilian targets because of a band of half-witted terrorists pocked us in the eye would result in sanctions.
And financial ruin for any country that sanctions us.

our removal from the UN/NATO
Good riddance.
and retaliation by Russia
well They need to be put in their place again.
and China.
Not likely.
Never mind the massive civil revolt it would provoke here, I mean there was a low-grade civil war throughout the 60's because we napalmed a few villages.
Could use some water cannons again, there is civil unrest when a thug bites the bullet while trying to murder a cop.
You're delusional to think otherwise and I'm starting to think you're crazy to even think glassing people is a good idea... EVER.
Ah cowardice, now I know where the American spine has gone. It's effective, haven't had a problem with Japan and if they get a little big for their breeches we just tell them to golook at Hiroshima.

This stupid "not sinking to their level" crap is of no use.

Survival is for the fittest.

Jul 2009
Opa Locka
And financial ruin for any country that sanctions us.

Good riddance. well They need to be put in their place again. Not likely. Could use some water cannons again, there is civil unrest when a thug bites the bullet while trying to murder a cop.
Ah cowardice, now I know where the American spine has gone. It's effective, haven't had a problem with Japan and if they get a little big for their breeches we just tell them to golook at Hiroshima.

This stupid "not sinking to their level" crap is of no use.

Survival is for the fittest.
Japan was a major military power that invaded the Pacific Empire and sent us running with our tails between our legs. Nuking them as a show of force, while already waging total war and having no realistic idea what nukes really did at the time made since. Nuking CIVILIAN TARGETS because a few crazy cavemen got uppity is a totally different situation.