Conspiracy by the rich in America?

deanhills

Secretary of State
Mar 15, 2009
We often hear theories of an elite group of the real wealthy in the United States conspiring by influencing the media through board memberships, buying media companies, etc. as well as funding election campaigns to reach their own objectives and to get even more wealthy. Do you think it is prevalent right now?

Jul 26, 2009
Opa Locka
We often hear theories of an elite group of the real wealthy in the United States conspiring by influencing the media through board memberships, buying media companies, etc. as well as funding election campaigns to reach their own objectives and to get even more wealthy. Do you think it is prevalent right now?
2 words: FOX News.

myp

Site Founder
Jan 14, 2009
2 words: FOX News.
Considering that people like Glenn Beck and Judge Neopolitano have shows on FOX, I really don't see how you are coming to this conclusion. Why don't you check twice and see exactly what media outlets and corporations are actually supporting the statists and special interest groups before making claims like this?

As for your question Deanhills, I would say it is more a mixture of several special interest groups that try to get their way- not so much one big conspiracy. Certain groups certainly have more power due to their political and financial capital, but they are all in it for their own interests- not to conspire against the people. Of course sometimes these groups do have too much power, but I think that is more because government has so much power which allows these groups to manipulate it. If the government didn't have so much power, then these groups would have nothing to lobby for because the government wouldn't be able to favor them anyway.

deanhills

Secretary of State
Mar 15, 2009
but I think that is more because government has so much power which allows these groups to manipulate it. If the government didn't have so much power, then these groups would have nothing to lobby for because the government wouldn't be able to favor them anyway.
Does Government have the real power, or the groups who sponsor the people in Government though? I understand what you are saying about there not being a single Group, more separate Groups, but would you say it is money that motivates people to be elected, and that it is money that keeps them in their elected positions? Such as Ted Kennedy's position that has recently been vacated? Looks as though they are looking to keep the position in the family?

Dirk

Anarchist
Apr 27, 2009
Disunited Queendom
Of course there's a huge conspiracy in America of the rich having the power!

It's called the Federal Reserve.

deanhills

Secretary of State
Mar 15, 2009
Of course there's a huge conspiracy in America of the rich having the power!

It's called the Federal Reserve.
Now there is a conspiracy worthy of its own thread! Right on the number :D I still remember Greenspan saying something, and then all of a sudden the economy follows, and well, I'm sure there is a conspiracy around there.

myp

Site Founder
Jan 14, 2009
Does Government have the real power, or the groups who sponsor the people in Government though? I understand what you are saying about there not being a single Group, more separate Groups, but would you say it is money that motivates people to be elected, and that it is money that keeps them in their elected positions? Such as Ted Kennedy's position that has recently been vacated? Looks as though they are looking to keep the position in the family?
I would not call it a conspiracy though because it is not preplanned. These groups are out for their own interests, they are not out to intentionally rob the American people. The problem is though, that sometimes the people do get cheated. That is one of the reasons why I believe in small gov't- because with a smaller government, there wouldn't be as much power in the hands of politicians and hence there would also be less manipulation by special interest groups.

And at Dirk, the Fed is very bad and I am all for abolishing it, but I wouldn't call it a conspiracy- I agree that it has stolen a lot from the American people though, but the argument can be made that they thought it was in the interest of the people (even though clearly it never ends up helping the people.)

deanhills

Secretary of State
Mar 15, 2009
I would not call it a conspiracy though because it is not preplanned. These groups are out for their own interests, they are not out to intentionally rob the American people.
So cross board memberships of media and press companies is not preplanned? It just happened?

Aug 4, 2010
So cross board memberships of media and press companies is not preplanned? It just happened?
the people who operate in those circles are usually very small groups

for example, the people who sit on unsecured creditor committee boards for very large corporate bankruptcies pretty much know each other if not by name then by reputation

its a very narrow skill and as a result it cross pollinates a lot

board members will find attorneys they really like and vice versa and they work to get each other into positions to work together

its not conspiracy, its an effort to avoid having to work with obstinant and difficult people so they can get the job done

I suspect the same is true in other specific industries

Aug 8, 2010
Take ten hogs and twenty pigs. Put them in a pigsty with food sufficient for all but no more. In short order, the hogs will be fat and the pigs will be gaunt. Are the hogs conspiring against the pigs? No, they?re just being hogs.