Dems and Their Media Allies Owe Trump an Apology

Dec 2018
Tempe, AZ
Barr Is Right About Everything. Admit You Were Wrong. [Media Dimms & In Gov't]

After Trump’s vindication, the liberal media and its allies in government should face a reckoning. I’m not holding my breath.

By Christopher Buskirk

The American political and media elites that spent the first two years of the Trump administration promoting the Russian collusion hoax have some explaining to do. And not merely explaining: They owe the president an apology.

As Attorney General William Barr said on Thursday before releasing the Mueller report, “After nearly two years of investigation, thousands of subpoenas, and hundreds of warrants and witness interviews, the special counsel confirmed that the Russian government sponsored efforts to illegally interfere with the 2016 presidential election but did not find that the Trump campaign or other Americans colluded in those schemes.”

And yet nearly the entire complex of elite media was actively complicit in promoting the biggest political conspiracy theory in American history: that Hillary Clinton lost the election because Donald Trump conspired with Vladimir Putin to — well, that was always a moving target — but to somehow deprive Mrs. Clinton of victory. What we now know definitively is that Robert Mueller, the special counsel, and a team of very accomplished, mostly Clinton-supporting, prosecutors were unable to find evidence of a conspiracy that had been taken as an article of faith by Trump haters.

Journalists don’t like being called “fake news,” but too many of them uncritically accepted the Trump-Russia narrative, probably because of their strong distaste for Mr. Trump himself. But that lack of objectivity represents a major professional failure, and it’s Exhibit A in why Mr. Trump’s taunt resonates with so many Americans. Gallup pollingshows that for 69 percent of Americans, trust in the media has fallen over the last decade. Among Republicans, it’s 94 percent; for independents, it’s 75 percent and for moderates it’s 66. Only among self-identified liberals and progressives does a majority continue to trust the media. They like what they hear.

I’ve spent countless hours on radio and television since the fall of 2016 explaining to respected journalists why the Russian collusion story doesn’t get much, if any, traction in Middle America. This is because the allegations of collusion are not true and because most people who are not deeply committed to irrational Trump hatred see them for what they are: an inside-the-Beltway story being used as a political weapon to undermine the president and overturn — or at least neutralize — the 2016 election.

The whole ordeal had a detrimental effect on the president and the country. As Mr. Barr put it Thursday morning, “The president was frustrated and angered by a sincere belief that the investigation was undermining his presidency, propelled by his political opponents, and fueled by illegal leaks.”

He was right. And it was obvious in places like Arizona (where I live), but not in Washington or New York.

For nearly four years, members of America’s ruling class, especially those in the media, the academy and government, have operated on one central, unquestioned assumption: orange man bad. This stifling orthodoxy led to a blind, counterfactual faith in the theory that Mr. Trump had somehow colluded with “the Russians” (never well defined) to win the election. Again, the specific charges were always amorphous — plastic enough to change as needed. That’s hardly surprising: That’s the way conspiracy theories always work. The Russian collusion hoax was in fact nothing more than a massively multiplayer coping mechanism for people who couldn’t accept the results of the 2016 election.

But why is it not enough to simply acknowledge that you dislike Mr. Trump and disagree with his policies? What psychological purpose does adding the fiction of a conspiracy serve?

The French philosopher and literary critic René Girard held that such scapegoating and ritual sacrifice is an essential part of group identity and solidarity. That seems to apply here. Mr. Trump ran against American elites and their insular culture. Their response was to load onto him all of the sins they see in American society and attempt to sacrifice him to appease their gods.

Mr. Girard asked a question that is pertinent today: “Why is our own participation in scapegoating so difficult to perceive and the participation of others so easy? To us, our fears and prejudices never appear as such because they determine our vision of people we despise, we fear, and against whom we discriminate.”

But the ritual sacrifice of Donald Trump didn’t work — at least not in the sense of removing him from office. It certainly did have the effect of catalyzing and uniting his opponents. Still, one of the many ironies here is that the Trump-hating media has handed him an incredibly powerful weapon for the 2020 campaign, one that may ensure his re-election.

Again, the operating principle was that of the zealot: Believe the narrative regardless of the lack of evidence, squint to see justifications where there are none and then in an intoxicated frenzy of moral superiority use any weapon at hand to destroy your enemy.

Shortly after Mr. Mueller concluded his investigation without any indictments related to Russian collusion with the Trump campaign, Representative Adam Schiff, now the chairman of the House Intelligence Committee, did not admit he was wrong — far from it. He brazenly doubled down, saying during a committee hearing, “You may think it’s O.K. how Trump and his associates interacted with Russians during the campaign. I don’t. I think it’s immoral. I think it’s unethical. I think it’s unpatriotic. And yes, I think it’s corrupt.”

The problem is that the Mueller investigation, as Mr. Barr explained, “did not find that the Trump campaign or other Americans colluded in those schemes.”

Mr. Schiff must know this. He must have known it for a long time. But he has persisted in slandering innocent people for personal political gain. His selfishness has led to a level of civil discord and political acrimony not seen since the late 1960s. That is what I call immoral, unethical, unpatriotic and yes, corrupt.

Too many politicians and journalists were eager, whether cynically or gullibly, to take the bait. The list of collusion Truthers is long. The politicians include not only Mr. Schiff, but people like his congressional colleagues Maxine Waters, Eric Swalwell and Richard Blumenthal. The media enablers included Joe Scarborough and Mika Brzezinski, Rachel Maddow (who built her show around Russia Trutherism), David Corn, Michael Isikoff, Manu Raju, Brian Stelter and many others. These people represent themselves as straight journalists who are fair, independent, oriented around facts. What a lot of Americans have seen instead is political partisans.

And then, of course, there is the recently arrested Michael Avenatti, who was eagerly embraced by Trump haters. He appeared on CNN and MSNBC an embarrassing 108 times in a 64-day period in 2018. How could they not see him for what he is?

There are three types of people who promoted Russian collusion hoax. First, those who knew it was false all along, but promoted it for money, power, prestige or dopamine hits from Twitter high-fives. Second, the journalists who had a responsibility to dig into this story rather than just repeating what they hoped was true and what the story’s promoters were telling them.

Jeff Zucker, the president of CNN Worldwide, is emblematic of the problem. “We are not investigators,” he said last month. “We are journalists, and our role is to report the facts as we know them, which is exactly what we did.” Has anyone ever seriously thought that investigation was not a core function of journalism?

And then there is the Kool-Aid brigade. These are the people outside of politics, the people who couldn’t wait to hear what Rachel Maddow had to say, who believed every breathless prediction on cable news that “new revelations could spell the end for Trump,” and who shared these nuggets with a mixture of indignation and ecstasy on social media.

But the collusion truthers were not all on the left. Trump-hating neoliberals at some of the old, legacy conservative publications were eager to believe it too. They believed the worst of Mr. Trump because they wanted to, and it led them astray. And none of them have owned their mistake yet, meaning that, as night follows day, they will be duped again.

To the public figures who promoted the collusion story, I say: Own it. Just admit you were wrong. It won’t feel good at first. But when the initial sting passes you will find it liberating. And people will respect you for it. The media and political elites have a lot of work to do if they want to regain the trust of the American people. Confessing a major error that needlessly turned Americans against one another is a good place to start.

Aug 2010
Cliffside Park, NJ
Montgomery and PaulSmith69, it's natural to sincerely conclude what's to our own best interests is to the mutual best interests of our nation. We needn't find conspiracy behind everything and everyone that doesn't mutually share our opinions.
I'm a populist but I do not consider everything to be consequentially entirely or even partially due to corruption. I prefer that we seek solutions or improvements rather than seeking who or what to blame. Many things are differences of opinions rather than of motives.

Regardless of the opinions expressed within links submitted to this discussion thread, president Trump has not been “ “vindicated” and he's owed no apology.

My tolerance doesn't extend down to the depths of Donald Trump. I wish that our president does well, but I'm not optimistic. It's not just his opinions that I'm opposed to. For no apparently logical reasons, he will often reverse his stated opinions. They change more often, more rapidly, and more radically than the weather. I strongly doubt President Trump's sincerity, veracity, and judgment.
I agree with Congressman Gottheimer, the Congress has a legal right of access to the whatever portions of the Mueller report they deem necessary to carry out their tasks as directed by the U.S. Constitution. The congressman also urges the Congress go on to performing all of their other tasks while pressing for their access to the report and the evidence it's based upon.

Respectfully, Supposn

Dec 2018
Tempe, AZ
Montgomery and PaulSmith69, it's natural to sincerely conclude what's to our own best interests is to the mutual best interests of our nation. We needn't find conspiracy behind everything and everyone that doesn't mutually share our opinions.
I'm a populist but I do not consider everything to be consequentially entirely or even partially due to corruption. I prefer that we seek solutions or improvements rather than seeking who or what to blame. Many things are differences of opinions rather than of motives.

Regardless of the opinions expressed within links submitted to this discussion thread, president Trump has not been “ “vindicated” and he's owed no apology.

My tolerance doesn't extend down to the depths of Donald Trump. I wish that our president does well, but I'm not optimistic. It's not just his opinions that I'm opposed to. For no apparently logical reasons, he will often reverse his stated opinions. They change more often, more rapidly, and more radically than the weather. I strongly doubt President Trump's sincerity, veracity, and judgment.
I agree with Congressman Gottheimer, the Congress has a legal right of access to the whatever portions of the Mueller report they deem necessary to carry out their tasks as directed by the U.S. Constitution. The congressman also urges the Congress go on to performing all of their other tasks while pressing for their access to the report and the evidence it's based upon.

Respectfully, Supposn
So he is not owed an apology from the many who said he was TREASONOUS (which calls for the DEATH penalty BTW)?

I would hope YOU would be given apologies if YOU were accused with such a high crime for 2 years on a daily basis!!!

Apr 2019
vancouver island
Montgomery , it's natural to sincerely conclude what's to our own best interests is to the mutual best interests of our nation. We needn't find conspiracy behind everything and everyone that doesn't mutually share our opinions.
I think you're on to something that's seldom considered. First of all, the Democrats believed that Mueller was working for them, but he wasn't. He's just a glorified cop and he was more interested in damage control as opposed to destroying Trump. For Mueller, it wasn't all that political. Your further comments on that would be interesting. However, we are going to have to talk in terms of you understanding that Trump was guilty as charged on all counts, and moreso on issues that weren't even raised.

Everything is not due to corruption but practically everything to do with Trump is corruption. However, I've said above that it doesn't have to be concluded and dealt with as corruption for the sake of US politics. The FBI/Mueller understand that damage control as it pertains to Trump's conspiracy with Russia/Putin,is much more important than exposing Trump and bringing him down. That can be dealt with in due course and everything is on the table for the FBI. Including the Kenndy solution.

Of course not! That's just political spin. Which incidentally I don't go along with either way. I'm a Canadian and can rise above the partisan politics. I can say and have said that both major parties are nothing more than establishment tools of the wealthy ruling class of the US.

Respectfully, Supposn
About all I'll say to that is, the congress will likely gain access to the full unredacted report because the people are behind seeing justice done. Moreso out of curiosity and that's being promoted daily by the left's media, and it won't stop. As with Nixon, the US would have benefitted if the story had been quashed and Nixon survived. And so with Trump, or at least having to suffer him until the end of his term. I think he's been taken under control and is operating as a political figurehead, under the guidance of much wiser minds.

As an example, Trump has done enough damage to US/N.K. relations and will not be allowed to do much more. This is why Kim/N.K. is asking to negotiate directly with Trump and not Pompeo.

Your thoughts?

Apr 2019
vancouver island
Supposm, here's an example of how political spin is so important for the politics of the whole issue.

https://spectator.us/robert-mueller-avenue-collusion-myth/

While in this particular instance, the left will attempt to spin the truth. The truth being that Mueller found numerous instances of Trump working with Russia/Putin in the effort to destroy the other party's candidate. And likely successfully mostly because the othere candidate was just as bad in the minds of the people as Trump has turned out to be.

I can tell you frankly, the rest of the world can watch this and learn from it on how political spin can be used to change a complete story into something that relates to fantasy.

Shame on America for allowing a corporate psychopath to rise to great power! The only saving grace in the whole thing is that it was done because of desperation of the ordinary people. Likewise, they may have chosen Hillary out of the same desperation. Many suggest that they did!

Aug 2010
Cliffside Park, NJ
... About all I'll say to that is, the Congress will likely gain access to the full unredacted report because the people are behind seeing justice done. Moreso out of curiosity and that's being promoted daily by the left's media, and it won't stop. As with Nixon, the US would have benefitted if the story had been quashed and Nixon survived. And so with Trump, or at least having to suffer him until the end of his term. I think he's been taken under control and is operating as a political figurehead, under the guidance of much wiser minds.

As an example, Trump has done enough damage to US/N.K. relations and will not be allowed to do much more. This is why Kim/N.K. is asking to negotiate directly with Trump and not Pompeo.

Your thoughts?
Montgomery, I regret even the threat to impeach a president or the now existing precedent of a presidential resignation. I also preferred, (despite the president's possible direct or indirect awareness that something like the Watergate break-in might be attempted, and his actual attempts to quash the investigation and law enforcement), that President Nixon would have managed to serve his full term of office.

I oppose President Donald Trump. I prefer that he serve his full term (despite what I believe is a real possibility that he could be re-elected). Before Donald Trump was elected, he stated he could shoot (or murder?) someone on Fifth Avenue at noon, and he could still be elected. I'm not certain that opinion isn't valid.

Respectfully, Supposn

Apr 2019
vancouver island
Montgomery, I regret even the threat to impeach a president or the now existing precedent of a presidential resignation. I also preferred, (despite the president's possible direct or indirect awareness that something like the Watergate break-in might be attempted, and his actual attempts to quash the investigation and law enforcement), that President Nixon would have managed to serve his full term of office.

I oppose President Donald Trump. I prefer that he serve his full term (despite what I believe is a real possibility that he could be re-elected). Before Donald Trump was elected, he stated he could shoot (or murder?) someone on Fifth Avenue at noon, and he could still be elected. I'm not certain that opinion isn't valid.

Respectfully, Supposn
Yes, saving the country is more important than taking him down right now. But in comparison to Nixon or Clinton or any other president, his crimes have far exceeded anything in the past. Keeping him contained and under adult supervision is the way for America to survive this corporate psychopath.

Dec 2018
Tempe, AZ
Yes, saving the country is more important than taking him down right now. But in comparison to Nixon or Clinton or any other president, his crimes have far exceeded anything in the past. Keeping him contained and under adult supervision is the way for America to survive this corporate psychopath.
655 day of investigation, and not a single report of even a single American involved in a conspiracy with any Russians. No other crimes reported either, by either Trump or anyone in his campaign committing any crimes whatsoever regarding his campaign, or during the period of the campaign.

So please, what the hell "crimes" are you referring to???!!! :rolleyes:

I have a feeling it is "wishful thinking" totally void of actual substance.o_O

Last edited:
Aug 2010
Cliffside Park, NJ
Montgomery, I share this viewpoint. President Trump is not entitled to an apology. Respectfully, Supposn

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/poli...port-after-mueller/ar-BBW9fdA?ocid=spartanntp :
Special counsel Robert Mueller's report poses a test for vulnerable Senate Republicans running for reelection, forcing them to decide how far to distance themselves from President Trump heading into 2020.

Mueller declined to pursue charges of conspiracy, illegal coordination or obstruction of justice, but much of his report reflects poorly on the president and reveals there are several more federal investigations that have yet to wrap up.

While House Democrats will need to decide how hard to go to attack Trump in the wake of the report and whether to pursue a politically-charged impeachment process, Senate Republicans have to figure out how far to go to defend the president. ...

Apr 2019
vancouver island
Montgomery, I share this viewpoint. President Trump is not entitled to an apology. Respectfully, Supposn

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/poli...port-after-mueller/ar-BBW9fdA?ocid=spartanntp :
Special counsel Robert Mueller's report poses a test for vulnerable Senate Republicans running for reelection, forcing them to decide how far to distance themselves from President Trump heading into 2020.

Mueller declined to pursue charges of conspiracy, illegal coordination or obstruction of justice, but much of his report reflects poorly on the president and reveals there are several more federal investigations that have yet to wrap up.

While House Democrats will need to decide how hard to go to attack Trump in the wake of the report and whether to pursue a politically-charged impeachment process, Senate Republicans have to figure out how far to go to defend the president. ...
All Americans should be concerned about how Trump is hastening the decline of America by actually providing a helping hand to China. America's allies and trading partners are in a concerted effort together now to fight against US unfair trade practices and that is to China's advantage. A proper and decent president would understand that now is a time for cooperation with other countries in order to preserve what's left of America's reputation of being able to trade fairly. Unfortunately the way of the psychopath is to never accept defeat. I fear he will go down in a blaze of glory if he isn't stopped.

But I'm much more concerned about other things as related to US politics. Neither the Democratic party or the Republican party are going to break the hold the wealthy establishment has on the people. Bernie Sanders is a very real threat and so the Dems are already working hard to destroy him. Are the American people smart enough to not fall for the old 'redbaiting' scare again? If Bernie makes it to the election as the Dems candidate or even if he has to go Independent, he's become the president if he's lucky enough to run against Trump. And that's as good as saying that the Repubs. will likely find that the time has come to support a decent candidate. Or, Trump just drops out, which is a real possibility now.

Aug 2010
Cliffside Park, NJ
Oh, he vigorously pursued them [, i.e. Mueller vigorously pursued evidence of conspiracy, illegal coordination or obstruction of justice] alright, but simply reached a DEAD END.
PaulSmith69, Mueller's investigations were not a dead end. Regardless of those who wish is to believe it's a baseless political witch hunt, his investigations have uncovered real crimes.
Respectfully, Supposn

https://www.sfgate.com/technology/b...been-charged-so-far-in-Mueller-s-12398626.php
So far, Mueller's team has charged eight Americans once affiliated with Trump's campaign or administration, 13 Russian nationals, 12 Russian intelligence officers, three Russian companies, and two other people.

https://www.npr.org/2018/12/09/6434...rge-so-far-from-robert-muellers-investigation
After nearly two years of work, special counsel Robert Mueller's investigation into Russian interference in the 2016 election has officially drawn to a close. Mueller has submitted his findings to Attorney General William Barr, marking the end of an investigation that has resulted in criminal charges against 34 individuals. To date, the special counsel has secured seven guilty pleas and one conviction at trial, but 25 Russians indicted by Mueller are unlikely to ever see a U.S. courtroom.

Last edited:
Apr 2019
vancouver island
The Mueller report obviously contains grounds for impeachment. https://www.msnbc.com/am-joy/watch/...achment-based-on-mueller-report-1501755459736

In the totally corrupt US system, all presidents will be impeached when the opposite party has the votes in the senate and house to do so. The degree of the crime committed by the president is not the deciding factor in the least. Bill Clinton's crime of lying or getting a blow job, or whatever, pales in comparison to Trump's continuous lying and sexual escapades.

The rest of the world cringes as America goes to the dogs, or worse! And the infighting of course makes China the benefactor out of the whole gong show.

Dec 2018
Tempe, AZ
PaulSmith69, Mueller's investigations were not a dead end. Regardless of those who wish is to believe it's a baseless political witch hunt, his investigations have uncovered real crimes.
Respectfully, Supposn

https://www.sfgate.com/technology/b...been-charged-so-far-in-Mueller-s-12398626.php
So far, Mueller's team has charged eight Americans once affiliated with Trump's campaign or administration, 13 Russian nationals, 12 Russian intelligence officers, three Russian companies, and two other people.

https://www.npr.org/2018/12/09/6434...rge-so-far-from-robert-muellers-investigation
After nearly two years of work, special counsel Robert Mueller's investigation into Russian interference in the 2016 election has officially drawn to a close. Mueller has submitted his findings to Attorney General William Barr, marking the end of an investigation that has resulted in criminal charges against 34 individuals. To date, the special counsel has secured seven guilty pleas and one conviction at trial, but 25 Russians indicted by Mueller are unlikely to ever see a U.S. courtroom.
Not a SINGLE American citizen charged with conspiring with Russians, the whole & entire point of the Investigation. And those charged with actual election attention, will NEVER be extradited to the U.S. Charging them was a joke.

Aug 2010
Cliffside Park, NJ
Not a SINGLE American citizen charged with conspiring with Russians, the whole & entire point of the Investigation. And those charged with actual election attention, will NEVER be extradited to the U.S. Charging them was a joke.
PaulSmith69, you're contending it's inconsequential because the eight indicted persons associated with president Trump's administration have not (thus far) been charged with conspiring with Russians? Are you contending that due to indicted persons being beyond our reach and cannot be questioned, voters may not or should not doubt the integrity of the president and his administration? Only illegal acts involving Russians are consequential?

Respectfully, Supposn

Dec 2018
Tempe, AZ
PaulSmith69, you're contending it's inconsequential because the eight indicted persons associated with president Trump's administration have not (thus far) been charged with conspiring with Russians? Are you contending that due to indicted persons being beyond our reach and cannot be questioned, voters may not or should not doubt the integrity of the president and his administration? Only illegal acts involving Russians are consequential?

Respectfully, Supposn
Because someone cheated on there taxes years ago, means the definitively/automatically conspired with the Russians?

Aug 2010
Cliffside Park, NJ
PaulSmith69, Mueller's task was to investigate and report. He did his job. You're suggesting that while investigating Russian involvement, he should not have reported upon other criminal acts? Other federal crimes are inconsequential?
I'm not overly concerned about Russians intervening in USA's political campaigns. A democratic republic generally doesn't get poorer, and usually gets less poor government than we voters deserve; we may remedy our errors in elections that follow. President Donald Trump is no worse than we deserve.

Respectfully, Supposn