End of WW2

Aug 2010
1945 because that's when it ended

The cold war started after WWII ended... you could probably date it from the Berlin Airlift if you wanted a solid start date

Aug 2010
NH
WWI is still going on in Afghanistan and Iraq right now, viewed from a certain angle. It's just one big long chain of violence and war.

Aug 2010
By that logic so is the Crimean War which in large part reflected shifting alliances associated with the vacuum created by the withdrawal of the Ottoman Empire from the Balkans. We could keep doing regressive analysis to link these events over many many generations. Perhaps with a little twisting and cajoling back as far as we have data.

Aug 2010
NH
By that logic so is the Crimean War which in large part reflected shifting alliances associated with the vacuum created by the withdrawal of the Ottoman Empire from the Balkans. We could keep doing regressive analysis to link these events over many many generations. Perhaps with a little twisting and cajoling back as far as we have data.
There was a relatively long period of peace in Europe before WWI broke out. In principle you're right, but I think it's a more practical thing to consider WWI as the initial event in a long chain of violence.

Also, are you the only other active person on this entire forum? lol

Aug 2010
Aug 2010
Um... Crimea, Franco Prussian War

Various wars in the colonies...

hell I cheaped out and went to wiki.... 19th century european wars...

19th century

Aug 2010
NH
Um... Crimea, Franco Prussian War

Various wars in the colonies...

hell I cheaped out and went to wiki.... 19th century european wars...

19th century

Firstly, I should clarify that I meant mostly Western Europe, and you've cited mainly Eastern European conflicts. Secondly, yes of course there will be inevitable blips of violence (that's the nature of statism), most of these lasted a year or so. But most importantly, if you compare this to any other century, especially the Middle Ages, I think it would seem vastly more peaceful, which is the point.

Aug 2010

still a bunch in the west
relative to many other eras yes, it would be more peaceful but it was still a century marked by war