Every Western Cold War leaders dream come true.

Jul 26, 2009
Opa Locka
NATO forces march triumphantly thru Red Square... But to celebrate Victory Day. :giggle:

Good to see relations are warming. I'm an admitted Russian sympathizer and am truly heartened to see Russia and the US come closer. We should be allies, not rivals.

Glad I was born after McCarthy was gone. :giggle: The Cold War wasn't so cold in the last years and it was over before I developed my current political outlook, so no dark, sinister and painful political prison for evil Red me. :D

myp

Site Founder
Jan 14, 2009
I am not sure relations are really warming though. This is a gesture to perhaps try to show that, but even as the article states, there is a lot of underlying tension still there. Furthermore, some of the country's foreign policy actions in recent years haven't exactly been in line with what a lot of Europe and the United States would want to see.

Jul 26, 2009
Opa Locka
I am not sure relations are really warming though. This is a gesture to perhaps try to show that, but even as the article states, there is a lot of underlying tension still there. Furthermore, some of the country's foreign policy actions in recent years haven't exactly been in line with what a lot of Europe and the United States would want to see.
And threatening to wage total war on their southern border is okay? I think the RF's view of the West is justified.

myp

Site Founder
Jan 14, 2009
And threatening to wage total war on their southern border is okay? I think the RF's view of the West is justified.
My statement made no opinion on that matter or any other particular matter. It simply said that both sides didn't see eye-to-eye, which only proves my point that things aren't really warming. Even domestically, Putin's actions have often been anti-democratic, which Europe and the US usually don't like. Some of Russia's allies are also at odds with the West. Until there is significant policy change in Russia or a significant change in outlook by the West, I don't see relations improving much.

Jul 26, 2009
Opa Locka
My statement made no opinion on that matter or any other particular matter. It simply said that both sides didn't see eye-to-eye, which only proves my point that things aren't really warming. Even domestically, Putin's actions have often been anti-democratic, which Europe and the US usually don't like. Some of Russia's allies are also at odds with the West. Until there is significant policy change in Russia or a significant change in outlook by the West, I don't see relations improving much.
You say undemocratic but enjoying more popular support then any Western gov't doesn't seem undemocratic to me. Authoritarianism is democratic when it's the people's will. You're looking at Russia from a soft Westerner's viewpoint. Remember, Russia is what happens when a steppe civilization settles down. Look at it from their view.

myp

Site Founder
Jan 14, 2009
You say undemocratic but enjoying more popular support then any Western gov't doesn't seem undemocratic to me. Authoritarianism is democratic when it's the people's will. You're looking at Russia from a soft Westerner's viewpoint. Remember, Russia is what happens when a steppe civilization settles down. Look at it from their view.
Again, I am not stating my opinion towards anything, but the opinion of the Western leaders who decide how "warm" the relationship really is.

I don't completely agree with you, but that is irrelevant here as our relationship with Russia mostly relies on what our government sees in them and vice-versa.

Jul 26, 2009
Opa Locka
Again, I am not stating my opinion towards anything, but the opinion of the Western leaders who decide how "warm" the relationship really is.

I don't completely agree with you, but that is irrelevant here as our relationship with Russia mostly relies on what our government sees in them and vice-versa.
Yes but as federal democratic republics, both our nations are ultimately ruled by the people. Even the most out of touch gov't must, short of overthrowing the Republic, bow to the will of the people if they intend to remain the gov't.