Gay marriage, civil unions and the sanctity of marriage

omej

Founding Father
Jan 9, 2013
Delaware
Are the above mentioned issues really something that states should be deciding individually? Or are they a matter of rights that should be addressed by the government?

IMO, it's an issue of rights and needs a governmental rule. Marriage can't be accepted in one state and not in another. Furthermore, there's hardly any "sanctity" left in marriage. Divorce rates, cheating - marriage has enough problems as it currently stands. Gay marriage can't possibly make the word worse.

Dirk

Anarchist
Apr 27, 2009
Disunited Queendom
Yeah, we briefly mentioned this on a thread on the society section. It probably does need a separate thread, though.

I think definitely that people should have the freedom to love whom they like. And, if they like, there's little reason that gender should have anything to do with limiting the rights of individuals. And so, if mixed couples have the right to marry, which they're perfectly welcome to, same-sex couples should also have that right.

The religious rules regarding this idea are a reflection of the moral values of millenia ago and are outdated and invalid in modern society, which should value freedom and equality.

As i'm opposed to limiting everyone's freedom by banning marriage altogether, i'd think the best way to achieve equality is to allow marriage for same-sex couples.

Mar 24, 2009
Undisclosed
Are the above mentioned issues really something that states should be deciding individually? Or are they a matter of rights that should be addressed by the government?

IMO, it's an issue of rights and needs a governmental rule. Marriage can't be accepted in one state and not in another. Furthermore, there's hardly any "sanctity" left in marriage. Divorce rates, cheating - marriage has enough problems as it currently stands. Gay marriage can't possibly make the word worse.
Yeah give them the right! Let them pay the price like the rest of us do.:rolleyes:

And if they don't like it, tell them to shut-up they asked for it.

Mar 19, 2009
Philippines
AFurthermore, there's hardly any "sanctity" left in marriage. Divorce rates, cheating - marriage has enough problems as it currently stands. Gay marriage can't possibly make the word worse.
Honestly, I have known some couples who are not married but living their life fully like a married couple while some married couple I saw always tend to get annulled several months after marriage.

The Parakeet

Retired Moderator
Jan 19, 2009
The only problem is that the early government left us with a problem. I'll admit that I'm paraphrasing an argument from Colbert a few weeks back, but it pretty much summed up my thoughts.

Marriage is a religious function. The state unfortunately chose to make it a state recognized function too though. So here we are. The church has a strong opinion on it and they managed to rally enough conservative behinds it (with a ridiculous budget and a lot of lies).

If things continue as they are, we'll probably just have to stop recognizing marriage and just recognize civil unions officially. Marriage could then just be a religious function. It's going to have to be marriage for all or civil unions for all. We'll see which way it goes in the future.

deanhills

Secretary of State
Mar 15, 2009
The tax authorities probably also factor in in a significant way, wanting to make sure that the tax payer is neatly identified for taxation purposes. Looks as though all Governments like to put people in identifiable pigeon holes.

The Parakeet

Retired Moderator
Jan 19, 2009
Yeah. There's got to be a good way to recognize and organize family groups. Marriage worked really well for awhile, but times are changing.

Mar 19, 2009
Philippines
Yeah. There's got to be a good way to recognize and organize family groups. Marriage worked really well for awhile, but times are changing.
I do agree with you. Remember the actor/actress couple who get married and after less than 3 days, they filed a divorce.
Honestly, I can't remember the names of them.

deanhills

Secretary of State
Mar 15, 2009
I do agree with you. Remember the actor/actress couple who get married and after less than 3 days, they filed a divorce.
Honestly, I can't remember the names of them.
Has to be difficult to do since life has become complicated and relationships don't last that long. Wonder how anyone can identify who goes with whom any longer for tax purposes for example. Confusing.