Germany, America and a Use for Trump's Golf Courses

Nov 2016
Victoria, BC
'
In some ways, the development of America parallels that of Germany. Many years ago, the Germans were noted as being educated and cultured. Then came the Franco-Prussian War and the German Empire. The coarsening of the German character between 1870 and 1914 was quite remarkable.

There was a similar development in Britain between the Indian Mutiny and 1914, though the process was somewhat mitigated by Eton and the Universities. {The best went out to govern India; the second-best were retained to govern England; the third-rank were sent out to govern the colonies)

Similarly, there has been a definite change in the American character since 1940, and it has not been a change for the better.

All of these examples demonstrate the dangers which power and wealth present to people who are not prepared for them.

When I was young, I went down to Mexico and saw "gated communities" for the first time. At the time, I thought they were very un-American. Ah, well!

Tempora mutantur, nos et in illis mutamur.
The times change, and we change with them.

Americans have lost even those few virtues which they formerly possessed. [By the way, have you noticed that whenever the word "community" appears in modern American parlance, it means "isolation," "atomization" and generally the very opposite of the traditional meaning of "community"? (example: "internet community") Another triumph of George Orwell's NewSpeak.

Anyway, there are some positive features to "gated communities." They are voluntary concentration camps where the rich and the middle classes can be isolated. As an ultimate conclusion, the dreams of Marx and Lenin may finally be realized. Don't murder the rich; just isolate them, give them the toys which they seem to crave, and let them amuse themselves until they die: much cheaper than the fuss and bother of class warfare. The golf courses which surround them will act as a cordon sanitaire protecting the rest of society from being infected by these polluted creatures.

Besides, who know? As society breaks down in the coming years, and the gated communities become more and more isolated, the inhabitants may be forced to co-operate with each other in order to survive, and the ghettos of the rich may revert to being real communities. Market gardens could be established in the golf courses, and the cycle of society from peasant to rich, and back to peasant, will be complete. The middle classes may yet become human again.

I am pleased to conclude on this hopeful and pious note.

Nov 2016
Victoria, BC
'
If I make mountains out of molehills it is to be better able to see them and analyse their structure.

From your yelping, I suspect that you live in a gated "community."

Your grandparents would probably be disgusted to see such a thing.