investing in the stock market

Oct 7, 2012
NC
Anyone here buy and sell stocks? How did you get started?

I am recently interested in it but I am also fairly ignorant of it all. I've bought some mutual funds in the past and did ok and but I'm interested in buying and selling realtime.

I've been looking at Etrade as a vehicle to invest but even the lingo there is above my head.

"covered calls, covered puts, spreads, etc?"

Can anyone recommend a good book to learn the ropes?:help:

myp

Site Founder
Jan 14, 2009
Do you homework if you are just starting out and don't invest anything you wouldn't be hurt completely losing! Don't have a book recommendation, but investopedia is good for terms that you might not know. You may also be interested in practicing with fake money at a site like updown.com until you get the hang of it and the lingo. And remember that each trade costs a fee so you need to cover that fee for it to be worth it.

myp

Site Founder
Jan 14, 2009
PLEASE!!! Run away from anything & everything Obama supports!!! :eek:
Say what? Now you are against a private sector corporation because Obama supports it (has he explicitly said that anyway?) I am sure he supports GE, GM, and a slew of other American companies too. You against them too?

Feb 8, 2013
just past the moons of Jupiter
Say what? Now you are against a private sector corporation because Obama supports it (has he explicitly said that anyway?) I am sure he supports GE, GM, and a slew of other American companies too. You against them too?
Obama is the devil to him.

Oct 25, 2012
Louisville, Ky
Means precisely what I mean! :D:D:D

in·du·bi·ta·ble [in-doo-bi-tuh-buhl, -dyoo-] Show IPA
adjective
that cannot be doubted; patently evident or certain; unquestionable.
Origin:
1615–25; < Latin indubitābilis. See in-3 , dubitable

Related forms
in·du·bi·ta·bil·i·ty, in·du·bi·ta·ble·ness, noun
in·du·bi·ta·bly, adverb
Dictionary.com Unabridged
Based on the Random House Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2014.
Cite This Source | Link To indubitably
Collins
World English Dictionary
indubitable (ɪnˈdjuːbɪtəb ə l)

— adj
incapable of being doubted; unquestionable

[C18: from Latin indubitābilis, from in- 1 + dubitāre to doubt]

But....but, that is no where near as entertaining.:smug:

Nov 21, 2017
Behind the 8 ball
A great idea to invest in the stock market, rather than putting your money in a bank, they pay you PEANUTS, and reap great rewards in the stock market!

My/our two accounts combined (401K and investment account) are like $58K HIGHER than just a couple of months ago! :D

Don't get me wrong - I do indeed feel very fortunate.

Oct 7, 2012
NC
one "technique" I have found is watching a stock for a while. Just pick several that you are interested and observe them for several months without doing anything. See if there is a pattern and then buy it when it dips (according to the observed pattern).

Nov 21, 2017
Behind the 8 ball
one "technique" I have found is watching a stock for a while. Just pick several that you are interested and observe them for several months without doing anything. See if there is a pattern and then buy it when it dips (according to the observed pattern).
Exactly! Market losers tend to make rash decisions.