Is Religion accepting Science?

Apr 2010
From the latest I've heard, religions are now starting to look upon science as a way of describing Gods work, rather than its enemy - I guess this is because it makes religion seem to make more sense.

Forgetting the film Angels & Demons, there doesn't appear to be many 'attacks' between science and religion either. Is this people accepting other peoples' opinions more? Or Religion accepting Science? It may be possible that slanderous attacks on the work in CERN being unsafe could be by religious folks though.

This is a very vague topic so I expect varied posts :rolleyes:

Jan 2009
I would disagree in that there aren't still conflicts- there are plenty. As for organized religion accepting science, I wouldn't say they are openly accepting it, so much as being forced to because of the mounting evidence against them in certain areas such as evolution. Historically, they have always been forced to concede when science managed to provide substantial proof- the Earth being the center of the universe is an example.

Apr 2010
Hm, despite the 'retreats' by religion they still seem to think it is real? Despite constantly being disproved by scientific researches. I'd say religion knows it's a battle they can't win so have given up fighting and merely cling on to those people who fear the unknown.

Most religious conflicts today aren't towards science, but towards other religions, for example Islamic people in the UK.

Apr 2009
Disunited Queendom
Haha, you're just hearing about the reasonably sane religious people, then. Creationists still exist, for one thing.
:D

Islamic people in the UK.
Yes, absolutely, but i think we're in danger of forgetting that a couple of decades ago, it was my family fighting on the streets. And that sentiment isn't gone from society yet, either.

May 2010
religion can't usually win arguments with scientific fact I think they understand and appreciate some of it. But some things about religion like bible stories don't follow science.

May 2010
It is good if religion and science go together. Great thinkers of the past like Albert Eeinstein have thought like that and spoke like that.

Mar 2009
Philippines
Science and religion are two different things.
But as far as I know, religion doesn't contradicts all of scientific explanations.
Honestly, not all things can be explained thoroughly by science alone.

May 2010
In the confluence of science and religion man finds supreme bliss. Scientific truths pave the way for materialistic life where as religious truths pave the way for spiritual life.

May 2010
I think that religion will have to except science, because the more scientist find out about the earth and the big bang it will start to really hurt the churches and other religions. So that is why the two should work together.

May 2010
Absolutely right. Of they work together many of the social and other problems can be put to rest. Can we call it 'science of religion' then?

Mar 2009
Philippines
What do you mean by this? If you are encompassing empiricism and the scientific method, I think you are wrong.
Well, I know that there are theories in all that's happening to us but there are things that can't still be explain fully by science alone.
Take for instance some unknown diseases that doesn't have any cure or known origin.

Apr 2009
Disunited Queendom
Well, I know that there are theories in all that's happening to us but there are things that can't still be explain fully by science alone.
Take for instance some unknown diseases that doesn't have any cure or known origin.
Ah! I see. I was concerned for a moment.

You mean that we don't know everything. Of course not, but we're finding out new things all the time. And the only true way to cure these diseases is through scientific progress.

Mar 2009
Philippines
Have you heard about quack doctors or faith healers?
There are some diseases or abnormalities that can be cured by them. Most of it cannot be cured by doctors themselves.
But honestly, I don't really believe in them. Maybe it's just pure luck. :p

Science can prove things and I'm not against it. However, science can go to a particular extent in understand nature. There are some things that even science cannot explain. What does that say about all the theories a coupe of people have cracked up about Scientology as a religion when even some of the most basic principles are not clear.

I don't mean to offend but these are my opinions.

Apr 2009
Disunited Queendom
Science can prove things and I'm not against it. However, science can go to a particular extent in understand nature. There are some things that even science cannot explain...
...Yet.

What does that say about all the theories a coupe of people have cracked up about Scientology as a religion when even some of the most basic principles are not clear.

I don't mean to offend but these are my opinions.
From what I gather, Scientology is completely nuts.

I don't pretend to know a great amount, but from what I've seen, the beliefs are pure science fiction!