Is time travel ethical?

Jul 2009
Opa Locka
Well, one can only travel forward in time, according to the laws of physics. You can only go back so far as a time machine exists. I presume this is the first one?
The doco I linked to says as much and yes, it'll be the 1st 1.

Feb 2010
Video reminds me of something I would've watched in 5th grade science class.

Are there any paradoxes in particular you want to talk about, David, or are you just curious about the ethical speculations out now?

Jul 2009
Opa Locka
But... the old days were... segregated... :eek:
And today isn't? My state (Florida) has yet to ratify the Civil Rights Act and most school districts have yet to integrate, several even getting court orders to do so just last year (front page news, that).

Jul 2009
Opa Locka
or are you just curious about the ethical speculations out now?
Yes. Obviously this tech will evolve to the point were humans will be able to travel. It's a far simpler concept then teleportation, I can see this getting to be practical within a century.

Jul 2009
Opa Locka
Or even something apparently non-consequential.

Butterfly effect etc.
Ya, kill some irrelevant peasant in the middle ages and Hitler is never born. Kill "Eve" (The biological common ancestor to all humans) and humanity evolved in a radically different direction due to a different set of genes.

Mar 2009
Ya, kill some irrelevant peasant in the middle ages and Hitler is never born. Kill "Eve" (The biological common ancestor to all humans) and humanity evolved in a radically different direction due to a different set of genes.
Well if Hitler was not born, who is to say that there would not have been another social democrat who would have done exactly what he did. Germany had been ready for a Hitler, or someone similar to him? Perhaps even worse than him? :unsure:

Jul 2009
Opa Locka
Well if Hitler was not born, who is to say that there would not have been another social democrat who would have done exactly what he did. Germany had been ready for a Hitler, or someone similar to him? Perhaps even worse than him? :unsure:
Exactly. The ethical questions are numerous.

Mar 2009
Exactly. The ethical questions are numerous.
Thinking about it though, will we really alter historic events, as maybe the individuals are a product of the history at the time. Perhaps one cannot make a difference by removing a leader here and there? All of it will still go down in the same way.

Jul 2009
Opa Locka
Thinking about it though, will we really alter historic events, as maybe the individuals are a product of the history at the time. Perhaps one cannot make a difference by removing a leader here and there? All of it will still go down in the same way.
Or nothing will change and you'll just create a parallel universe ie. the new Star Trek movie.