it starts with the children

Oct 2012
NC
from a governing perspective and dealing with the woes of society, we need to think more about children.

Many of today's woes be it crime, poverty, abuse, unemployment has some origins in the way children are raised or rather not raised.

If this were an isolated thing as it occurred that would be one thing, but what I have learned is trauma and mistreatment gets passed down through the generations.

For example, consider this made up story:

David was abused growing up and consequently he drinks to forget and abuses his children Bobby and Cindy.

When cindy grows up she neglects her three children and does drugs to forget how she was abused.

when Bobby grows up he abuses his two children and abuses alcohol because he saw his dad do that.

From one child's abuse spawned 7 children's abuse.

Exponentially across the country this is catastrophic.

Of course some don't follow the example laid out for them by their parent's and learn instead to do the opposite of how they were raised. But the point remains: Trauma and mistreatment is often passed down through the generations and the consequences can lead to drug/alcohol abuse, crime, abuse, etc.

So how do we make life better ?

to be continued...

Oct 2012
NC
This is where a strict authoritarian stance actually has a benefit.

Overall freedom is very good.

People should be free to do what they like with a very specific and harsh exception.

if one abuses, neglects or harms their children , then the child is removed , the parents are jailed and sterilized.

They have failed to be parents and no second chances should be given with regards to raising children. Depending on severity, they could get out of jail but must never be responsible for a child.

some might ask, "What do we do with all those kids pulled from homes though? "

this is again where government can benefit.

programs to reinforce and reward/stipend/tax breaks for parenting adopted and fostered kids.

Strong background checks and payment for those who adopt / foster kids. Again strict implementation of punishment for ANY abuse in this environment as well as rewards for those that do well providing a loving home.

Over time with this implementation crime would drastically go down along with the horrible mental ramifications of abuse (ptsd, anxiety, depression, suicides).

Thoughts?

Oct 2019
San Bernardino, CA
We should be raising kids with emphasis QUALITY rather than mere quantity. A poor young single mother is in no position to successfully raise a child. Hence access to abortion is critical to ensuring high quality children being raised.

Oct 2012
NC
the emphasis should be on quality upbringing but judiciously speaking it does not make sense to punish a child that did not ask to be born.
Give parents a chance and if they fail horribly, they must pay.

Oct 2019
San Bernardino, CA
the emphasis should be on quality upbringing but judiciously speaking it does not make sense to punish a child that did not ask to be born.
Give parents a chance and if they fail horribly, they must pay.
Nobody Is advocating punishing children.

Oct 2019
San Bernardino, CA
I mean, look at is this way: a fertilized egg/zygote/fetus is analogous to a computer w/o any software installed. It may look like a computer, but it cannot compute anything. A prospective person is like the computer awaiting software be then at that point be considered a computer. Upon birth, a newly created person take in the software like a sponge.

Oct 2012
NC
I mean, look at is this way: a fertilized egg/zygote/fetus is analogous to a computer w/o any software installed. It may look like a computer, but it cannot compute anything. A prospective person is like the computer awaiting software be then at that point be considered a computer. Upon birth, a newly created person take in the software like a sponge.
this would probably help someone's guilty conscience for having had or performed an abortion.

but thats just mental gymnastics to feel better.

Feb 2013
just past the moons of Jupiter
We should be raising kids with emphasis QUALITY rather than mere quantity. A poor young single mother is in no position to successfully raise a child. Hence access to abortion is critical to ensuring high quality children being raised.
What is wrong with birth control it self control?

Feb 2013
just past the moons of Jupiter
Abstinence is not a reliable method. My wife's parents used "rhythm" method and her family ended up with 4 kids, the 1st 3 of them fairly close together.
So people can get pregnant even though their abstinent? I'm sorry to break this to you but abstinence is the absolute most reliable method it is a 100% guarantee that you won't get pregnant.

Oct 2019
San Bernardino, CA
So people can get pregnant even though their abstinent? I'm sorry to break this to you but abstinence is the absolute most reliable method it is a 100% guarantee that you won't get pregnant.
I guess you don't realize most people would shun abstinence.