Kids using hand sanitizer to get drunk

Jul 2009
Opa Locka
i think they should be lower the drinking age to 18
I'd say 16. It's the age of consent and driving. They'll be drinking by that point anyway if they want to, making it legal allows a bit of control (better to drink at a bar and get cut off then wasted at an illegal party).

Mar 2009
Undisclosed
I'd say 16. It's the age of consent and driving. They'll be drinking by that point anyway if they want to, making it legal allows a bit of control (better to drink at a bar and get cut off then wasted at an illegal party).
I disagree. Thanks to an older cousin I was drinking like an old man at 16. At 16 or even 18 the brain is not fully developed and even most 18 year old young people are not ready emotionally. Heck some 49 year old adults are not up to it either. And you can't count on the people at the bar to "cut you off ". That is part of maturity. You learn to keep enough of your mind working to know when you have had enough. A kid will at times just drink themselves to death.

Jan 2009
I disagree. Thanks to an older cousin I was drinking like an old man at 16. At 16 or even 18 the brain is not fully developed and even most 18 year old young people are not ready emotionally. Heck some 49 year old adults are not up to it either. And you can't count on the people at the bar to "cut you off ". That is part of maturity. You learn to keep enough of your mind working to know when you have had enough. A kid will at times just drink themselves to death.
The problem is that when one wants to drink, they manage to find a way. When it is illegal those chances are reduced and that often leads to overindulging when the chance does arise. A possible explanation for why binge drinking is so much more rampant amongst US teenagers than European teens. I wouldn't say reduce it to 16, but 18 makes sense.

Mar 2009
Undisclosed
The problem is that when one wants to drink, they manage to find a way. When it is illegal those chances are reduced and that often leads to overindulging when the chance does arise. A possible explanation for why binge drinking is so much more rampant amongst US teenagers than European teens. I wouldn't say reduce it to 16, but 18 makes sense.
I think things are moving in favor of just legalize things that are difficult to control. Be it drinking or drugs if we make it legal it is easier and cheaper.

Jan 2009
I think things are moving in favor of just legalize things that are difficult to control. Be it drinking or drugs if we make it legal it is easier and cheaper.
It will not necessarily be cheaper if you tax them. And it won't be easier for the illegal criminal organizations that push these things and often control with violence ;) (less with alcohol since it is still legal above 21 so regular people just buy it for the underaged, but you get my point).

Mar 2009
Undisclosed
It will not necessarily be cheaper if you tax them. And it won't be easier for the illegal criminal organizations that push these things and often control with violence ;) (less with alcohol since it is still legal above 21 so regular people just buy it for the underaged, but you get my point).
Oh I get your point. I am just hearing more and more about what a waste the "war on drugs" is and has always been. There are people that think immigration control, drug laws and underage drinking laws are just wrong and a waste of time and money.

Jul 2009
Opa Locka
Oh I get your point. I am just hearing more and more about what a waste the "war on drugs" is and has always been. There are people that think immigration control, drug laws and underage drinking laws are just wrong and a waste of time and money.
Fun fact, drinking and it's related health issues fell to almost nothing during Prohibition. I'm in the 'prohibition is stupid' camp due to the crime but it does work if you only look at it's primary goal of public health.

Jan 2009
I am guessing you are not of that camp? Some of those arguments surely have valid points including some that I would say are strong enough cases to push a policy change.

Fun fact, drinking and it's related health issues fell to almost nothing during Prohibition. I'm in the 'prohibition is stupid' camp due to the crime but it does work if you only look at it's primary goal of public health.
Source? I am pretty sure drinking did not go down during the prohibition :p Ever hear of moonshine? As for associated health risks, prohibition didn't last that long and a lot of alcohol's effects are long term and usually when it is over-consumed over a long time. It'd probably be very hard to get meaningful data points given those two things- what study are you referring to?

Mar 2009
Undisclosed
I am guessing you are not of that camp? Some of those arguments surely have valid points including some that I would say are strong enough cases to push a policy change.
Good guess.:giggle: To me that is like making drunk driving legal so we don't need so many state troopers.:rolleyes:

Jan 2009
Good guess.:giggle: To me that is like making drunk driving legal so we don't need so many state troopers.:rolleyes:
Drunk driving endangers other people directly, drinking doesn't. In fact, legal drinking might endanger the person doing the drinking less than should they decide to drink illegally just because of the circumstances.

When it comes to stuff like marijuana, if the same number of people choose to do it legal or not, then why would you support a prohibition that costs billions of dollars, incarcerates many otherwise innocent young peoples, and fuels illegal cartels and gangs that produce violence?

Jan 2012
:smug::cry::giggle::help:
i am not sure what to feel about this do you mean we are not suppose to drink at all