Marijuana vs. Alcohol...the debate

Nov 2012
Mesquita, RJ, Brazil
If we quit buying cocain from smugglers, they will be crippled. War on drugs ifs one, legalize the production in foreign lands, lower costs to citizens, cripple ths cartels, its foolish not to legalize it.
The industry of combating drugs earn much, it is too early for this to happen, society must evolve much until the release of the drug can sink even more people, not marijuana, but I say the harder drugs that cause addiction and damage in the brain.

Jan 2012
Texas
The industry of combating drugs earn much, it is too early for this to happen, society must evolve much until the release of the drug can sink even more people, not marijuana, but I say the harder drugs that cause addiction and damage in the brain.
That is True

Oct 2012
Louisville, Ky
I will agree drug trafficking and distribution are lucrative for many, and create an economy unto themselves...but the costs to society currently associated with this seem to far outweigh any benefit to anyone but the cartels.
One wonders at what point we will know when we have evolved (Both in society and maturity), to the point when we find the situation untenable.

It seems to me the current move to decriminalize marijuana might be the beginning of this evolution....we shall see.

Nov 2012
Mesquita, RJ, Brazil
As for alcohol, I've lost two uncles, my father thanks the church managed to break free from alcoholism and one of my uncles lives as a beggar (great evil it does generate homeless here).

Ai has the commercial media has put on the head of young man he has to show that that drinking is legal. This ends up creating a society that consumes so unconscious. If only the use of alcohol was controlled (restrict commercial advertising, promotion and use of evils as is done with cigarettes) the number of addicts and crimes involving drink would be much smaller.

May 2012
I personally think alcohol is the better one here and here is why:

Getting drunk ( or in some cases smashed ) yes can cause some upset ( hungover in morning ) and yes you can become dependant on alcohol but smoking weed ( Marijuana ) although nice, does bring a lot of criminal activity and that's why its illegal :)

Just my 2 cents, now you can bring me down :)

Oct 2012
Louisville, Ky

Getting drunk ( or in some cases smashed ) yes can cause some upset ( hungover in morning ) and yes you can become dependant on alcohol but smoking weed ( Marijuana ) although nice, does bring a lot of criminal activity and that's why its illegal :)

Just curious to know if you have personal experience in this conclusion, or if perhaps you have data to back up your position?

Jan 2009

What do you mean by marijuana brings criminal activity? A lot of crime associated with weed is currently due to its trafficking because it is illegal.

May 2012
@myp, by this i mean they all start at marijuana whether thats growing it or selling it on, though as the greed for money kicks in it then moves on to bigger and hardcare stuff and that's where the trouble is.

marijuana is legal to those that have illness's like MS, though i think its illegal because anyone can grow it and anyone can put what they want in it, having said that i suppose they could just let big company's sell it and just inspect these company's, doing it this way would stop people growing it i guess.

Nov 2017
FL Treasure Coast & South Central FL
Sorry to go off topic slightly but perhaps someone can explain exactly why alcohol or drugs of any kind should be acceptable? Neither are necessary to have 'fun' or 'feel good'
Necessary? - no. But beneficial in that regard? - a resounding YES! :D

Oct 2012
NC
i like the occasional beer or even better a well made cocktail.

but I have never smoked the weed.

I think I would like to but perhaps worry that it would change my personality and I'd end up like this character...

Nov 2017
FL Treasure Coast & South Central FL
i like the occasional beer or even better a well made cocktail.

but I have never smoked the weed.

I think I would like to but perhaps worry that it would change my personality and I'd end up like this character...

It won't happen! :cool:

But I quit using it (the medicinal version, same as regular). It did not help much medicinally, and I got tired of being "spaced out" much if the day. :(

Plus, the "novelty" of it wore off.

Last edited: