Martial Law: The Last Resort?

Mar 2009
Philippines
Is putting up a Martial Law is the last resort when the government can't handle anymore what's happening inside a country?

I was shocked when I knew that our incumbent president, Pres. Arroyo plans to have a Martial Law in or country to prevent those press people who always criticizes her. But that plan didn't came into action but instead of Martial Law, she put our country into State of Emergency.

Mar 2009
Undisclosed
Martial Law can be a bad thing if done for the wrong reasons. But I guess there are times it is needed. Some soldiers don't want to be used against their own people.

Apr 2009
Disunited Queendom
Martial Law is the official term for transference to a fascist state.

I'm with Benjamin Franklin on this one. They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary security, deserve neither.

Mar 2009
Undisclosed

I'm with Benjamin Franklin on this one. They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary security, deserve neither.
I really hate it when things go " fascist" :eek: If all this one world crap keeps growing it will feel that bad for me.

Apr 2009
Disunited Queendom
I really hate it when things go " fascist" :eek: If all this one world crap keeps growing it will feel that bad for me.
Ironically, it's antagonised by the Global Economy and free trade, a concept that conservatives tend to like.

Mar 2009
Undisclosed
Ironically, it's antagonised by the Global Economy and free trade, a concept that conservatives tend to like.
I may be a right wing nut, but I turned on that Global Economy thing when I first found out there were no "made in America" TVs!:mad:

Apr 2009
Disunited Queendom
I may be a right wing nut, but I turned on that Global Economy thing when I first found out there were no "made in America" TVs!:mad:
Nope. Only bad-quality cheapo Asian makes.

Though there are German ones. I'd hate to think i'm being patriotic when i opine that they are extremely good quality.

Mar 2009
Philippines

What is a fascist state?
it's the first time I read about that.

Mar 2009
Undisclosed
Nope. Only bad-quality cheapo Asian makes.

Though there are German ones. I'd hate to think i'm being patriotic when i opine that they are extremely good quality.
Then I would need at least four of them if they would work here. I like Germany and most Germans that cross my path in some way. Back in the early 80s the company I worked for bought a bunch of machines from Germany for a new factory. So they sent a crew to help get everything working properly. There was some very smart guys on that crew. Most very friendly. But they sold us about 6 million 80s dollars worth of equipment. Why not smile.:D

Apr 2009
Disunited Queendom
What is a fascist state?
it's the first time I read about that.
Fascism is a form of a nation, in which the state (Government) is authoritarian and nationalist. It also involves corporatist economics.

Authoritarianism is when the state tries to be omniscient and omnipotent - which means to see everything everyone is doing and control everything.

Nationalism is like an extreme and very dangerous form of patriotism, involving the encouragement that a citizen consider his/her nation better than every other.

Corporatist economics is a system in which a small number of large bodies controls the means of production. This could mean a statist system, in which the Government controls industry or a capitalist system, in which large private corporations own the means of production without interference from any source. The former is often under the pretense of "equal" distribution.

Fascist nations also tend to be undemocratic.

Examples of fascist nations in history have been:

Nazi Germany (1933-1945)
China (1950s-present)
Soviet Union (1917-1991)
Italy (World War II)

The opposite of fascism is communism. This is a form of society in which the state (Government) doesn't exist, is libertarian and internationalist. Communism is an economic system in its own right.

Libertarianism means that the Government does not interfere with individuals on a social level (telling them what to do/controlling them etc) or on an economic level (everyone keeps what they earn). This is simply because the Government does not exist.

Internationalism means that people do not consider themselves superior to other nations, just different.

A communist economic system is one in which the people own the means of production. This could constitute direct democratic control through community ownership of local industry. Or indeed representative democratic control through a system of locally elected worker's soviets. Ideally, this would involve cooperative enterprise, where the workers of a worker's cooperative own the shares of it. Alternatively, a specific union, made up of only the workers in that particular industrial facility controls the facility and the worker collectively (through the union) own the shares.

I, personally, am a communist. I hope this has cleared up misunderstandings of the phrase "fascist" and hopefully destroyed incorrect definitions of the word "communist".

Apr 2009
Disunited Queendom
Then I would need at least four of them if they would work here. I like Germany and most Germans that cross my path in some way. Back in the early 80s the company I worked for bought a bunch of machines from Germany for a new factory. So they sent a crew to help get everything working properly. There was some very smart guys on that crew. Most very friendly. But they sold us about 6 million 80s dollars worth of equipment. Why not smile.:D
Germany is the largest exporter of quality electronic goods in the world and for this reason, has one of the largest economies in the world. Germany is already out of the recession.

I have noticed that despite our differing politics, we can still get along quite well and even engage in constructive debate.

Of course, while I'm German, i live in Britain. So i can give examples from both nations in many instances, which can be helpful.

Mar 2009
Undisclosed
Germany is the largest exporter of quality electronic goods in the world and for this reason, has one of the largest economies in the world. Germany is already out of the recession.

I have noticed that despite our differing politics, we can still get along quite well and even engage in constructive debate.

Of course, while I'm German, i live in Britain. So i can give examples from both nations in many instances, which can be helpful.
I agree, there is no reason we can't get along. We come from different times, countries, and experiences. That is what makes us who we are. And even when you say something I disagree with entirely I am not mad at you. So if I would ever say anything you did not agree with:eek: I would not want you to be mad at me.

Mar 2009
I agree, there is no reason we can't get along. We come from different times, countries, and experiences. That is what makes us who we are. And even when you say something I disagree with entirely I am not mad at you. So if I would ever say anything you did not agree with:eek: I would not want you to be mad at me.
I can speak German and have had many Germans in my life, have visited the country too, and have found Germans to be slightly more confrontational than the norm. Focus is on black and white with little appreciation for grey areas. Standards are absolute, and judgments as a consequence quite severe. Either you are in or out. And when you are out, you are really out. :)

My favourite people from a cultural point of view (in general as people are people and differ in make-up) would be Canadians, Kiwis (New Zealand) and South Africans. I particularly like South Africans as they have this awesome knack of poking fun at themselves. Germans in contrast tend to take themselves much too seriously.

Apr 2009
Disunited Queendom
I agree, there is no reason we can't get along. We come from different times, countries, and experiences. That is what makes us who we are. And even when you say something I disagree with entirely I am not mad at you. So if I would ever say anything you did not agree with, I would not want you to be mad at me.
Absolutely. As i stated in a poem i wrote a few months ago, "this is a world of individuals". I better shut up now, before i further undermine my masculinity... :p

I can speak German and have had many Germans in my life, have visited the country too, and have found Germans to be slightly more confrontational than the norm. Focus is on black and white with little appreciation for grey areas. Standards are absolute, and judgments as a consequence quite severe. Either you are in or out. And when you are out, you are really out.

My favourite people from a cultural point of view (in general as people are people and differ in make-up) would be Canadians, Kiwis (New Zealand) and South Africans. I particularly like South Africans as they have this awesome knack of poking fun at themselves. Germans in contrast tend to take themselves much too seriously.
I can, er, tell a few jokes for you, if you like?

But seriously, that's quite an accurate comment. Also, politeness is a huge thing. I've heard instances of people being arrested for addressing an officer as "du". I notice a lot of the time, that even though i'm proletarian - of the working classes - and a commie, and even referred to as a "crazy anarchist", on a social level, i tend to be reserved and formal, when compared to British people.

Mar 2009
I've heard instances of people being arrested for addressing an officer as "du".
:eek::D I'll remember that when I visit the next time, well, probably in the North. I have not visited the southern parts yet, but I believe that there is "in general" more "gemuetlichkeit" in those parts. Especially around October :)

Apr 2009
Disunited Queendom
:eek::D I'll remember that when I visit the next time, well, probably in the North. I have not visited the southern parts yet, but I believe that there is "in general" more "gemuetlichkeit" in those parts. Especially around October :)
Oktoberfest RULES!

Note that the South is mainly Catholic. Though Munich itself is reasonably secular. There is a large Muslim community, come in from Turkey.