Merkel offers to fix NK crisis.

Oct 2012
Louisville, Ky
BERLIN — German Chancellor Angela Merkel told a newspaper she would be prepared to become involved in a diplomatic initiative to end the North Korean nuclear and missiles program, and suggested the Iran nuclear talks could be a model.

South Korea on Saturday braced for a possible further missile test by North Korea as it marked its founding anniversary, just days after its sixth and largest nuclear test rattled global financial markets and further escalated tensions in the region.

"If our participation in talks is desired, I will immediately say yes," Merkel told Frankfurter Allgemeine Sonntagszeitung in an interview to be published on Sunday.

She pointed to negotiations that led to a landmark nuclear agreement between Iran and world powers in 2015. Back then, Germany and the five countries on the United Nations Security Council with veto power took part in talks that led to Iran agreeing to curb its nuclear work in return for the lifting of most sanctions.

Merkel said that was "a long but important time of diplomacy" that ultimately had a "good end" last year, referring to when the deal was implemented.

https://www.nytimes.com/reuters/201...ters-northkorea-missiles-germany.html?mcubz=0

Beats the hell outa tweeting threats and insults.

Aug 2017
Medway Towns, Kent
The link to the article is not working??
Anyway I think this is a response to the total inability of the US to provide a coherent policy towards NK/CHina? I think Europe/Germany is going in its own direction in an attempt to bridge the gulf between diplomatic dialogue and twitter. The insane blustering has now exceed the ability of the rabbit hole to take anymore fantasy.
Same with Iran

Oct 2012
Louisville, Ky
The link to the article is not working??
Anyway I think this is a response to the total inability of the US to provide a coherent policy towards NK/CHina? I think Europe/Germany is going in its own direction in an attempt to bridge the gulf between diplomatic dialogue and twitter. The insane blustering has now exceed the ability of the rabbit hole to take anymore fantasy.
Same with Iran
I agree....it also seems as if Merkel has created a new "Leader of the Free World" in the vacuum Trump has left by destroying our international respect and policy direction. The Presidency of the United States has become something of a joke anymore and the "Leader" mostly ignored.

Aug 2017
Medway Towns, Kent
I agree....it also seems as if Merkel has created a new "Leader of the Free World" in the vacuum Trump has left by destroying our international respect and policy direction. The Presidency of the United States has become something of a joke anymore and the "Leader" mostly ignored.
I'm speculating but I imagine Merkel will be making an approach on the basis of a pan-european initiative following discussions with european leaders. The EU itself would not make a direct diplomatic approach.
The vacuum has existed for a while since Tillerson had his legs chopped off and there is no lead US diplomatic head in S. Korea.
The leader of the free world thing is viewed as rather tongue in cheek.

Oct 2012
Louisville, Ky
I'm speculating but I imagine Merkel will be making an approach on the basis of a pan-european initiative following discussions with european leaders. The EU itself would not make a direct diplomatic approach.
The vacuum has existed for a while since Tillerson had his legs chopped off and there is no lead US diplomatic head in S. Korea.
The leader of the free world thing is viewed as rather tongue in cheek.
This saddens me, as it did not used to be that way. Perhaps angers is a better term.

Aug 2017
Medway Towns, Kent
This saddens me, as it did not used to be that way. Perhaps angers is a better term.
Its weird but we deal with quite a few Americans here and when the lunchtime discussions turn to politics and the name Trump comes up, to a man/woman they give an embarrased laugh, shake their heads and almost appologies for being American!

Jul 2009
Opa Locka
This is crazy. Someone that grew up behind the iron curtain from Berlin who's title is Chancellor of the 4th Reich is a beacon of freedom as Germany unites the Western Democracies against the insidious rise of fascism coming out of America and Russia (the latter the more bizarre of the 2 considering the Soviet Union).

Whoever ****ed with time better fix this. It's not worth winning a supper bowl bet!