Military Budget

Dirk

Anarchist
Apr 27, 2009
Disunited Queendom
The US has a huge military budget. Far more than it needs, by any reasonable analyst. I know most of you are capitalists, so i made it into a pretty graph. :rolleyes:

By the way, the UK has the second largest military spending in the world. It's all in order of biggest spenders.

Mar 24, 2009
Undisclosed
My guess is that with the dems. in control the US will make a big cut. Many dems. think everyone would love the US if we just brought home the troops, melted down the weapons, and planted organic gardens in the military grounds.

Then we would be safe forever and ever.:confused:

Dirk

Anarchist
Apr 27, 2009
Disunited Queendom
My guess is that with the dems. in control the US will make a big cut.
I doubt it.

Many dems. think everyone would love the US if we just brought home the troops, melted down the weapons, and planted organic gardens in the military grounds.
No they don't.

Then we would be safe forever and ever.:confused:
I'm merely suggesting the US should consider taking its spending down to a reasonable level.

myp

Site Founder
Jan 14, 2009
The United States needs to make cuts in foreign military spending, but we should still keep defensive measures alive. A lot of that spending is due to American military bases around the world, many in places that have not seen war for decades. We need to shut down these bases because they only cost us money and make local civilians angrier with America- it is part of the reason why many people around the world have a negative opinion of this country.

Interestingly, there is also a link between our military bases around the world and terrorist attacks. Robert Pape wrote an excellent book on the matter in which he examined every suicide terrorism event in the last 2 or 3 decades and came to the conclusion that the primary reason for most of these attacks was the presence of foreign troops in countries from which these terrorists are from. There was a stronger connection between foreign troops in one's nation and terrorism than there was between religious fundamentalism and terrorism.

deanhills

Secretary of State
Mar 15, 2009
@MYP. Good point. Wonder what Obama's decision is going to be regarding Afghanistan though. As I see it, the US has to either go for it with everything they have, or pull out completely. Tough decision to make for Obama. Probably the reason why he has been delaying so long?

myp

Site Founder
Jan 14, 2009
@MYP. Good point. Wonder what Obama's decision is going to be regarding Afghanistan though. As I see it, the US has to either go for it with everything they have, or pull out completely. Tough decision to make for Obama. Probably the reason why he has been delaying so long?
He hasn't been delaying it though. His policies over the months since be took office have been virtually the same as Bush's and he has hinted at continuing the same policies with a potential troop increase in Afghanistan. I really don't think we should go at it with "everything we have" because that really doesn't solve anything; it only puts more troops in danger. It is really just time to leave.

deanhills

Secretary of State
Mar 15, 2009
He hasn't been delaying it though.
I don't understand. I thought the Military had approached him for more troops, and that he is under pressure to provide them with an answer and a "new" military strategy?

Jul 26, 2009
Opa Locka
I don't understand. I thought the Military had approached him for more troops, and that he is under pressure to provide them with an answer and a "new" military strategy?
They asked President Bush for reinforcements and he sat on his hands. 1 of President Obama's 1st acts was to send some of the requested reinforcements.

Now they want more and President Obama wants to send 40,000 (I think?) but Congressional Doves (and a few rivals that would sacrifice the country for their political gain) are blocking him.

Hopefully he can get them approved.

deanhills

Secretary of State
Mar 15, 2009
Now they want more and President Obama wants to send 40,000 (I think?) but Congressional Doves (and a few rivals that would sacrifice the country for their political gain) are blocking him.

Hopefully he can get them approved.
You must have a good source of information. Is there anything available on the Internet? I did not realize President Obama requested more troops and has been blocked.